Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 AM

11 posts, read 39,809 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Az from Mi, I am staying in Phoenix for now, but eventually want to be in Prescott or Chino Valley, maybe. We left Mi because my wife doesn't like the cold, I don't mind it though, and I hate the heat. And the economy on Mi is really bad and my wife convinced me things would be great out here. I am really regretting selling our house in Mi right now, It was a brand new house I built just the way I wanted it. Anyway, sorry for the long intro. In Mi there is little to no dust, and when things do get a little dusty, there is rain, usually once a week to wash it off. Here in Phoenix the other day, I saw it was going to rain for the first time in 4 weeks, so I got my car out of the garage to let it wash it. Evidently even the rain is dirty here! I am not going to deal with that. What is that like in Prescott area. I want to live in a more rural area, but absolutely must be on a paved road. will my car or anything else that might get left outside overnight get a coating of dust on it? And more importantly, is the rain dirty?

Last edited by rockyrunner99; 07-22-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 AM

20 posts, read 122,036 times
Yes, the rain is dirty and everything outside gets coated in dust. The Prescott area isn't as bad as the valley but AZ is the desert, little rain, gravel yards.

Last edited by shoni; 07-22-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
That is why many of us buy cars that are the color of dirt. LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrunner99 View Post
What is that like in Prescott area. I want to live in a more rural area, but absolutely must be on a paved road. will my car or anything else that might get left outside overnight get a coating of dust on it? And more importantly, is the rain dirty?
Yes and yes.

Your car will be dusty within 5 minutes of washing and the rain will have dust, dirt, sand and other contaminants. This is the desert. Dryness and sand.

Prescott is actually worse than the valley. Here's why:
1 - Prescott is much windier overall than Phx.
2 - Prescott is located at 5,200 feet, from fall thru spring, the wind gusts up here can get crazy. My USA flag gets ripped to shred every changing season.
3 - The environment. Prescott has three competing environments, a. Ponderosa forest - b. verge of the rocky mountain plains - c. high desert

Prescott is in the top 3 cities in the entire USA for worse allergens possible. If you have allergies and/or asthma, check with your doctor.

There is no way to avoid the dust. I washed my truck and within 2 minutes I could say a layer of dust settling on it. And it was not even windy outside.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
We left Mi because my wife doesn't like the cold, I don't mind it though, and I hate the heat.
Look at it this way. When December rolls around, and it is -20F below zero, with 4" of snow and ice in Michigan. You can go outside in Phoenix were it will be 65F and sunny.

No place is perfect this side of heaven. Pick your poison. Michigan winters are brutal, Phoenix summers are brutal.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Consider what ice and salt do to that car of yours. A little dust is nothing. They come here from Michigan and haul back hundreds of "Arizona cars" for sale there because they still look good after several years on the road - and in the dust.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoni View Post
Yes, the rain is dirty and everything outside gets coated in dust. The Prescott area isn't as bad as the valley but AZ is the desert, little rain, gravel yards.
And not to mention gravel, loose rock parking lots and drive-ways.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 39,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Consider what ice and salt do to that car of yours. A little dust is nothing. They come here from Michigan and haul back hundreds of "Arizona cars" for sale there because they still look good after several years on the road - and in the dust.
Yeah I have heard that argument, I have heard it all, and I know there isn't much I can do now. but plan my move back.

1.I didn't drive my nice car in the winter, that is what a beater truck is for, I needed a truck anyway, and then there is no salt damage, no sun damage, and no dust

2. Michigan rarely ever gets below 10 degrees, last winter I think there were 2 days where is got down to 5.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
I just moved to Az from Mi, I am staying in Phoenix for now, but eventually want to be in Prescott or Chino Valley, maybe. We left Mi because my wife doesn't like the cold, I don't mind it though, and I hate the heat. And the economy on Mi is really bad and my wife convinced me things would be great out here. I am really regretting selling our house in Mi right now, It was a brand new house I built just the way I wanted it. Anyway, sorry for the long intro. In Mi there is little to no dust, and when things do get a little dusty, there is rain, usually once a week to wash it off. Here in Phoenix the other day, I saw it was going to rain for the first time in 4 weeks, so I got my car out of the garage to let it wash it. Evidently even the rain is dirty here! I am not going to deal with that. What is that like in Prescott area. I want to live in a more rural area, but absolutely must be on a paved road. will my car or anything else that might get left outside overnight get a coating of dust on it? And more importantly, is the rain dirty?
The rain isn't "dirty". What often happens is that there sometimes is not enough OF it in a monsoon summer storm, so, particularly if the storm brings a dust cloud in first, cars and windshields get spotted with the few raindrops falling on the dust. Trust me, I've had great wash jobs on my car in the storms here before. But, the rainfall amounts vary in different parts of the Valley, so that your car might get washed and mine not, or vice versa.

The dust storms are not nearly the issue up in Prescott area (their summer storms are wetter, too) but there is still going to be SOME dust there. I'm not going to guarantee your car won't get dusty. It's a little cooler up there, too, but less of an economic base in terms of jobs than Phoenix.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have heard that argument, I have heard it all, and I know there isn't much I can do now. but plan my move back.

Michigan rarely ever gets below 10 degrees, last winter I think there were 2 days where is got down to 5.
Grand Rapids lowest temperature was -25F below zero. The average temps:

JANUARY = 29F / 16F
FEBRUARY = 33F / 18F
MARCH = 43F / 26F
APRIL = 57F/ 36F
NOVEMBER = 46F / 31F
DECEMBER = 34F / 21F

Those are some cold averages. Basically from November thru April, it is cold outside. That is 6 months out of the year. In Phx, you have 3 bad months, June - August. You then have 9 months of very nice weather.

I am just confused as to your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott