U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,141,959 times
Default OTA TV reception

Since I do not live in Prescott, I would like to know if you can receive Over the Air TV reception in the area? Especially HDTV signals now. Or, is cable and dish the only game in town. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,406,044 times
Great question. We do not have an OTA antenna, so we do not have first hand knowledge, but check out: AntennaWeb Click on the "Choose an antenna" button, type in your address, and you will get a list of stations that you should be able to access.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 22,529 times
Default HDTV in Prescott AZ

Hi: I live in Prescott, AZ near Copper Basin and Highland. Using a JACK amplified antenna (designed for RVs to replace the Winegard head) I receive the following stations; the blunt side pointed to the South East. Probably Mingus-Mountain repeaters. This antenna outperforms a very large multi-element VHF-UHF antenna with rotator located about 12 feet above on a rooftop.

Channel UHF frequency Station ID Affiliate *
2-1 22 KNAZ-TV NBC
3-1 11 KTVK-HD 3 TV
3-2 THIS-TV
7-1 7 KAZT7-1 Prescott's local station
7-2 KAZT7-2 ME-TV
7-3 KAZT7-3 RTV
10-1 39 KSAZ DT FOX 10
15-1 44 DTV 15-1 ABC
15-1 47 ABC15HD ABC (stronger channel)
15-2 44 DTV 15-2 LWN
15-2 47 DTV 15-2 LWN

There are also a couple of Spanish Language channels 13-1 and 13-2, but they only come in with precise aiming.
* Information gathered from INSIGNIA HD TV converter box outputs connected to Auxiliary input L2 of a SONY VCR.

There are (or have been) also non-hdtv UHF frequencies
40 CBS
42 PBS
55 PBS
51 PTL
16 MY 45
14 MY 45 (best)

Hope this is helpful. I wish all the affiliates would have HD-TV repeaters in this area. I still use cable basic for 2 - 19. These are translated to ATSC (analog) cable channels.

Regards.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the update on this old thread that I started. I just don't like having to pay another bill every month. :-(

Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 PM

650 posts, read 638,219 times
We use OTA in Scottsdale - do a little current research on the internet as many of the Phoenix stations (NBC and ABC) are upgrading their broadcast signals. ABC channel 15 has been streaming notifications about the upgrade schedule for the past few weeks.

We did research regarding the signal directions and availability. Then researched the available antenna options - got a lot of good info from Amazon.com and TivoCommunity.com. Shopped the lowest price - bought from Best Buy. Downloaded a compass app on our smartphone to get the correct directional information. Made a $115 investment - dumped a $80 a month satellite bill. Saved a $1000+ a year. That's round-trip plane tickets to Hawaii plus change a year.

Between OTA, HULU, Amazon, the internet, the library, YouTube...nobody at my house died...

Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,089,786 times
Your reception will also depend on where you live in town.
You visited here sometime back so you know about our rolling hills.
I have to assume that the line of sight TV signals may well be dependent on your location. I have sat service myself and have had it for many years now but I also have lots of knowledge about electronics.
The higher up the better and without a hill between you and any repeater signal needless to say.
You know about where I live, not too far from where you stayed when you were here, but I am in a low spot.
The poster that brought this post back to life is a few hundred feet higher than I am.
For OTA TV reception location could be everything.
Just within Prescott city limits the elevation can vary by about 1000 ft depending on where you are.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks, Ken. Good points. :-)

Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,192 times
So, if I live out by the Prescott airport, what equipment would I need to get free OTA signals and see them on my analog only tv?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,089,786 times
The area near the airport is pretty flat and has good exposure to the mountains where the repeaters are located so I am thinking there should be no problems there with just a standard OTA antenna.
At least there the signals should not be blocked by hills that central and the SW side of towns have.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

12 posts, read 22,529 times
Default Analog TVs need a convertor box

Roddyjoe writes: what equipment would I need to get free OTA signals and see them on my analog only tv?

If it is a recent LCD, LED, or Plasma TV it may already have capability for DTV. Some, like my AKAI purchased right at the beginning of the changeover, will have separate antenna connectors for Analog or Digital antennas. An earlier LED, CRT type TV, or a VCR will require a digital to analog convertor box.

I use an Insignia (purchased with Govt. generosity) through their program two or three years back. It goes between an OTA antenna and your set tuned to either channel 3 or 4, or the direct left/right/video inputs (eg a VCR will have them). It only receives/converts DTV. If you also have some Analog channels available, you will have to use some splitter/switching arrangement. (see note below).

There are convertor boxes that pass both analog (when turned off) and digital (when turned on) signals via a single cable to your TV set antenna connector.

As for the OTA, i recommend a recent amplified antenna such as the JACK that is available at Affinity RV. It can be mounted on a pole or, of course, on the Winegard mount found on RVs. The one i have outperforms a huge older multi-element VHF/UHF with a rotator on my roof. Winegard also makes an upgrade to their old standard batwing.

I noticed True Value has an antenna with rotator for around $80.00, I don't think it is amplified. The rotator will help because not all repeaters are on the same mountain.

Note: There are still some local repeaters that are analog. CBS (9) and PBS (42 and ??), and PTL (51). Depending on location, they will provide fair to intolerably snowy pictures (with sound to match). Hopefully these repeaters will also convert to DTV. The FCC never put a timeline on repeaters. At present Cableone is analog as far as your TV is concerned (unless you have subscribed to DTV) One IMPORTANT thing about DTV. You will either get a clear picture or no picture . My convertor box has an on-screen and beeping Signal indicator which aids in positioning my antenna.

Regards: Dwpa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott