Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 AM

5 posts, read 10,631 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Are considering relocating to this area in 2011 - is this a good idea? If not here then anywhere near to here? Have two children aged 16 (very into sport) and 19. Currently live rurally in the UK with 13 acres of field. If anyone doesn't believe this to be the place - all suggestions welcomed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM

36 posts, read 94,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talullah43 View Post
Hi All

Are considering relocating to this area in 2011 - is this a good idea? If not here then anywhere near to here? Have two children aged 16 (very into sport) and 19. Currently live rurally in the UK with 13 acres of field. If anyone doesn't believe this to be the place - all suggestions welcomed!

I just moved here from Tucson, AZ about 3 months ago. I love it. I lived here from 1993-1999 and swore that I would be back. My parents also live here. They followed me from New Jersey and have been here since 1993 and they love it also. Feel free to ask me anything. I actually live in Prescott Valley. We have the best weather all year round. However, no pressure. I just wanted you to know that I love it here. Let me know if I can be of help. Just curious though why here??

Good Luck!

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: mentioning realtor position is considered advertising and a violation of TOS

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talullah43 View Post
Hi All

The #1 question; Do you have a job lined up?

If not, you will have to be independently wealthy or have at least 1 years worth of spending money.

My suggestion would be to visit here for at least 1 week and then make a choice.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM

100 posts, read 252,240 times
Good move mate!!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 AM

43 posts, read 69,537 times
Actually, I own a home in France, but Prescott is my permanent USA address. I've lived in Europe for over ten years and I would STRONGLY recommend you look elsewhere. It will already be a culture shock for you to move from Europe to America, but then you would have a double whammy moving to Prescott. It is a very conservative town, with many retired people. Your children will be miserable and health care is impossible. I don't know what your finances are, but I would look into moving in an area like Marin County (near San Francisco), or San Diego County. Your children will love it and there is always something to do. The problem with Prescott is that there is nothing for children to do, so many of them turn to drugs and bad behavior. If you lived in San Diego, or Marin, you are close to almost everything and the educational system is a million times better. Again, this all depends on your personal financial situation. If you cannot afford the above, look for another small town, outside of Arizona. You will not be happy coming from Europe to Arizona. Pick any other state.... TRUST ME ON THIS! I own a very nice home in Phoenix, but I have not been able to get my spouse of 20 years to live there, due to the "backwardness" of this state.

Definitely come and visit a resort in the winter, but do NOT make it your permanent residence. Whenever I go to another country and I tell them I am "from" Arizona, I am in FULL DEFENSE MODE! I went to Poland in January, Germany, Spain, Brazil and several other countries. As soon as they heard I was an Arizona resident, they immediately attacked me. Just look at our Secretary of State when she visits other countries; she is ALWAYS asked about Arizona and our laws.

From one transplanted European to another, STAY FAR, FAR away from Arizona!!!! Believe me on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott