U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,017,215 times

Advertisements

I remember as a little kid watching a Cleveland Browns game (I think it was 1987/1988 ish) when fans started hurling ice/ snowballs which knocked out a camera man. While the camera man was knocked out fans continuted to throw ice/snowballs at him and the paramedics working on him. Classy NFL fans. My most memorable NFL moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
I've only seen one NFL game in my life. 1952, Packers beat the Eagles 12-10, in Milwaukee, a loss that cost the Eagles a tie with Cleveland for the division title. Packers missed both extra points.

In those days, there were still a lot of players who played the whole game, on offense and defense, and the place kicker played a regular position when not kicking, and the quarterback played in the defensive secondary when they didn't have the ball. They wore helmets, but no face mask. When a runner was tackled, the ref didn't blow the whistle until he was immobilized and couldn't crawl or get up and run any more.

------------

Most memorable TV game, would be 1960. Late in the season, Unitas' Colts going for their third straight championship, down to the Lions with a minute to go, Unitas hit Lenny Moore in the end zone from the 38, to retake the lead. But the Colts then left Jim Gibbons uncovered, to grab Earl Morrall's 68 yard touchdown pass on the last play of the game, dashing Baltimore's hopes.

Most memorable game I did NOT see, of course, was the famous Heidi Game.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-20-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,795,548 times
My most memorable was the first one I attended in person. I grew up in the sticks with (at the time) the nearest pro team around 800 miles away. The Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers came and played a pre-season game at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane. This was back when neither team was very good...the stars were John Brodie and Gene Washington for the 49ers and Floyd Little for the Broncos.
Dad took me for my birthday right after his return from Vietnam. Great father/son thing. Lot of fun.

Don't have a clue who won. 49ers, I think. Maybe.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,012,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
My most memorable was the first one I attended in person. I grew up in the sticks with (at the time) the nearest pro team around 800 miles away. The Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers came and played a pre-season game at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane. This was back when neither team was very good...the stars were John Brodie and Gene Washington for the 49ers and Floyd Little for the Broncos.
Dad took me for my birthday right after his return from Vietnam. Great father/son thing. Lot of fun.

Don't have a clue who won. 49ers, I think. Maybe.
Good stuff Skinem! Yes, they did win the game, it was in the 1968 preseason, can't think of the final score, but might dig up the info later. Don't forget, I'm the one on this board with miles and miles of Bronco trivia that in all reality is worth a $1.98 in the real world!

Denver struggled for several seasons after that, but Frisco in 1970 finally came alive as a team after several seasons of mediocrity. I believe they went to the NFC Championship game that year, losing to Dallas.

As the NFL had already merged with the AFL in 1967, the NFL was thinking down the road in regards to NFL appeal a ways away from NFL/AFL cities, and Spokane certainly qualifies here (nice city, BTW). And it was only eight years later when Seattle was awarded an NFL franchise. There were a fair amount of preseason games played in Seattle, don't know which teams were involved.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,795,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good stuff Skinem! Yes, they did win the game, it was in the 1968 preseason, can't think of the final score, but might dig up the info later. Don't forget, I'm the one on this board with miles and miles of Bronco trivia that in all reality is worth a $1.98 in the real world!

As the NFL had already merged with the AFL in 1967, the NFL was thinking down the road in regards to NFL appeal a ways away from NFL/AFL cities, and Spokane certainly qualifies here (nice city, BTW). And it was only eight years later when Seattle was awarded an NFL franchise. There were a fair amount of preseason games played in Seattle, don't know which cities were involved.
Holy cow, Double H, I'm stunned you saw the same game. Nice to know that my more and more vague memories of that day and age aren't totally wrong!

I remember being disappointed that the "name" players didn't play more--even knowing beforehand that it was pre-season and they weren't going to play much.

I'd left Washington the same year the Seahawks came, but did get to spend a little time in Cheney that summer watching a couple of practices. It was the big time for that place!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,730,025 times
Attended:
10/3/71 - Steelers vs. Chargers at Three Rivers Stadium - I was only 5, but I still remember my first NFL game. An addiction is born.

12/24/2000 - Steelers V. Chargers at Qualcomm - Thru a corprate event I had a "back stage pass" and was taken onto the feild during pregams. The Chargers staff was not ammused that my clients and I - all diehard steeler fans - showed up in full black and gold regalia had almost no interest in meeting the Chargers players and just wanted to get to the visitor sidelines to see some of the Steelers.

Super Bowl XXVII - A Forgettable Game - "Gruden Bowl" - but seeing all the hype around "the event" of a Super Bowl was quite memorable.

TV:
Too many to list here, but include the last 5 Steeler Super Bowls, "The Drive" & "The Fumble" from the Boncos v. Browns AFC Championship years. Steelers Playoff run to Super Bowl XL. Several Steeler v. Oiler battles from the 1970's. Pats first SB win in XXXVI, 18-1 in SB XLII, Rams win when Titans come up 1 yard short in XXXIV.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,347,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Who dat played in the last Super Bowl and won? That'd be my choice.
Oh hell yea and the first game the SAINTS came back after KATRINA and every one that didn't have a ticket(me included)was watching the game from a FEMA trailor in the middle of disaster ZONE. I guess you had to be there to understand. Then last season's Superbowl run. Can't wait for Sunday and the dirty birds.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM

218 posts, read 654,878 times
Me punching a hole in the wall after watching the Seattle get screwed over during the 2006 Super Bowl because the refs were making calls against Seattle and not Pittsburgh.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,553,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
Me punching a hole in the wall after watching the Seattle get screwed over during the 2006 Super Bowl because the refs were making calls against Seattle and not Pittsburgh.
Yes!
By the way....I am loving the new Hawks coached by Carroll. Yesterdays' game was great.
We need a Seahawks thread here!!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,012,084 times
Default "they"re killing me whitey, they"re killing me!"

Is one of many, many rants of Lou Saban, one of the more colorful, if not successful, head coaches in the history of pro football.

A little background on this. When Lou Saban signed a long term contract as head coach and general manager after the 1966 season, he had a huge challenge facing him. The Denver Broncos were the graveyard of pro football in general and the American Football League in particular.

The fact that they had never had a winning season and played in a small baseball stadium pretty much solidified their reputation as a second rate organization. That point was underlined from the standpoint of never being able to sign a number one draft choice in their entire history, and they were drafting players such as the likes of Merlin Olsen and Dick Butkus. There was good reason for the top players not signing with Denver. Money. They could not draw at the gate with the product they were putting on the field.

If nothing else Saban changed the losers type of atmosphere that had hung over this franchise like a weather inversion. The new ownership gave Saban total power, starting with spending some tall coin regarding new training camp facilities. He then basically dismantled the team and started over.

By 1969 no one was left from the club that had been there in the year previous to Saban coming on board. For the first time ever there was a sense of hope. But hope, enthusiasm, and making promises could only go so far. Saban's five year tenure with Denver saw some of the most frustrating games the franchise ever saw. And one of the most frustrating ones ever was week 10 of the 1969 season. I was not only there for that game, I had a great seat for it as well as I was maybe 50 feet from the Bronco bench.

They were playing the Houston Oilers. Houston, like most of the other AFL clubs, used to handle Denver fairly handily. It was just the week before that Denver got drubbed 41-10 by the Oakland Raiders. But beyond that and the fact they lost wide receivers Bill Van Heusen and Mike Haffner for the season in that game, Denver came in ready to play. They were standing at 4-5. But even though they had lost 5 games, they played competitively in every loss. They had improved little by little every week, and felt this was their day.

When my Dad and I got to the stadium we noticed way more NBC-TV trucks there than one would usually see. What we found out a week later was there were going to be lots of camera crews not only on the sideline but also in the Bronco locker room for pregame. The extra coverage was for This Week In Pro Football, which was shown by NBC on Saturdays. Little did we know at the time what we would be seeing later on TV.

It was a game that was full of the little things that could go wrong in a season, and they were all jammed into this one game. It started out great, though. Steve Tensi hooked up with rookie receiver John Embree on a beautiful 79 yard bomb right off the bat. And from then on it was a trade off of good play, bad play. They had made 4 turnovers in the first half. The offense made several penalties in the first half, and Lou Saban started to have a meltdown. Here are a few quotes;

"My daughter can do better! My daughter can do better!" Saban was yelling at the offensive line. Between several false start and holding penalties, the offensive line really heard it from Saban. With the exception of the 79 yard touchdown toss, Denver's total yards gained in the first half was around 50 yards.

Here is a little conversation between Saban and O-line coach Whitey Dovell:

Saban; "I tell ya, it's gonna cost Goedekke, and it's gonna cost Goeddeke plenty!"
Dovell: "Who missed the block on that play?"
Saban: "Goeddeke!!" after several seconds-
Dovell: "Lou, don't ya think you ought to give him a break?"
Saban: "Hell no, I won't give him a break!"
Dovell: (Inaudible)
Saban: "I'd like to see him die out there, let it go."

Halfway through the third quarter, Houston DE Tom Domres came in on quarterback Steve Tensi, blasted him, and Tensi coughed up the ball, with Domres picking the ball up and running 79 yards for a touchdown. I remember Saban and Dovell from their conversation just a bit ago, when all of a sudden Saban threw his clipboard at Goeddeke, hitting him in the back of his helmet with it. When that happened, the papers came off the clipboard and flew everywhere. It was getting windy by then with a storm coming through (and I remember it snowing that night), the papers were flying and I caught a couple of diagrams (lots of X's and O's on it.)

Then there is the one everyone remembers.
"They're killing me Whitey, they're killing me!"
Looking at the film clip on that one, I remember the Bronco defense backed up close to their end zone, having had several penalties heaped on them by the refs. Saban was either referring to the defense or the refs. Or maybe both. Denver was up 20-3, and with a little more than one minute left in the game, the lead was squandered. With maybe 30 seconds left in the game, Oiler qb Pete Beathard heaved a long pass to wr Mac Haik. Haik made the catch, Roy Gerela came in and kicked a short field goal to tie the game, and there it ended. 20-20. That film showed Saban with him kneeling down, head down, for maybe a full minute after the game clock showed 0:00.

This Week In Pro Football the next Saturday showed the 20 minute seg on that Bronco/Oiler game. And oh was that tv show memorable, as was the game itself. It was futility as only the Bronco organization could experience.

I still have that memory etched in my head of the catch by Mac Haik. It was divulged later that the catch should not have been called a catch. Haik was bobbling the ball while one foot hit the chalk line. No matter, the call was made. That play was only maybe 50 feet away from coach Saban. It was a painful as finish to a football game as one could imagine.

And very, very memorable.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-28-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football