Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,001,591 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh v. Arizona in Super Bowl LXIII...CLASSIC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Unless the Broncos reinvent themselves in London and find a way to beat the one-win 49ers Sunday, that beatdown they took last Sunday by the Oakland Raiders will be etched in my mind for some time to come.

But if the Broncos get beat like that again in London, it will somehow lance the thought of last week from my mind.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,382,214 times
My favorite is the New Orleans Saints beating the Dallas Cowboys back in 2006 in Dallas, 41-17 was the score.

I was in 12th grade going to High School in Northern Virginia(Alexadrina Virginia) after the last year I(and the rest of my family) left New Orleans because of Katrina. And when I was going to that school they had(has) more Cowboys fans as they did with Redskins fans and some of the Cowboys fans including teachers and classmates kept talkin' smack about my Saints since I got there, and the week leading up to the game they kept talkin' hard and just said "Don't worry the Saints got the Cowboys number, especially since they've been beatin' the Cowboys for the last few games since the 90's".

Sunday came and on Sunday Night Football the Saints EMBARRASSED the Cowboys and I was laughin' down LOL! Matter of fact, 4 minutes before the game ended you could hear Saints fans through the whole Cowboys Stadium saying "Who Dat Say Is Gonna Beat Dem' Saints!" while the Cowboys fans were leaving LOL!

Then the next day when I went to school you couldn't hear the Cowboys fans who were teachers, staff and students, they were just silent.

Here's the WHOLE game!; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddjsf9LJu_0

Last edited by Blackandgold51; 11-03-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
When the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl this past February, they finally hit paydirt . As an expansion franchise set up in 1967, they knew losing like few other clubs would ever experience, finally breaking a twenty year streak and posting a 12-3 record in the 1987 NFL strike shortened season under Jim Mora.

But until that Super Bowl win, to a lot of peoples minds they would always be known as the Aint's. Obviously standing for no winning seasons, and that kicked in after week 11 of the 1980 season. I saw the Saints the previous year play the Broncos In the 1979 season on November 4th and played them tough. I was always impressed with Archie Manning and from what I saw out of their defense I thought they were close to becoming a factor in the NFC West. They finished that season at 8-8.

I couldn't have been further wrong. In the 1980 season they were playing as badly as ever. By week 11 they were sitting at 0-10. At first they were at least competitive, but after a while they were getting thumped every week.

As a city who always was known to enjoy a good time if nothing else, long time New Orleans sportscaster Buddy Diliberto was the one behind the movement of wearing bags over their heads. It was guaranteed to get national attention as it was a Monday night game that the Saints would play in which was won by the Los Angeles Rams 27-7. Diliberto was probably the most colorful sportscaster and sports talk show host New Orleans ever had at that time. He originally had kind of borrowed the idea from one of the comedians of the syndicated television program "The Gong Show." There was a comedian on that show who referred to himself as "The Unknown Comic" who always had a little bit of schtick reserved for that show, and would always wear a bag over his head. The Gong Show was very popular back in that time.

And the guy who took the brunt of the joke was head coach Dick Nolan. That entire game had the ABC cameras focused on the crowd, and it was more than just a few fans wearing bags over their heads, it was probably thousands. And there were some interesting ones out there as well. There were your basic grocery sacks with eyes cut out on them, there were bags that were lit up by what looked like Christmas decorations, obviously powered by AA batteries, there were just all kinds out there. And a lot of the fans saw they were caught by the cameras as they would wave, stand up, and maybe some of them taking off their bags and putting them bag on, bowing to the crowd. Probably the one I remembered the most were two guys dressed up in painters bib overalls. They went one better as they wore paint cans instead of bags.

At first there were a few amusing comments by Frank Gifford and Don Meredith in the TV booth. By halfway through the third quarter it appeared that ABC realized that things started to cease being funny. Archie Manning was getting sacked continuously, the running game wasn't going right, and the Los Angeles Rams were cruising easily. By the two minute warning Howard Cosell was at least trying to give a good word about Dick Nolan, the great New York Giant defensive back of the 1950's-60's, and the Dick Nolan who turned around the San Francisco 49ers and led them to some great seasons in the early to mid 1970's. Needless to say, Dick Nolan was let go by Saints management that next day. And to my knowledge never became a head coach in the NFL again (not sure about an assistant coach role).

It was one of those memorable games that clubs would rather not put in their team history highlight video. It was memorable nonetheless.
You know what?

Most people had always talked about the Saints losing days leading up to their first Super Bowl win.

Yet, they don't even mention anything about the Pittsburgh Steelers for being a LOSING TEAM for over 40 YEARS before they had their very 1st Super Bowl Title.

There's been teams in the NFL that had losing seasons before they had finally became winners...I just don't know why the Saints have to be brought up like their(are) were the only ones to be a losing team in the History Of The NFL.

And the Saints hasn't always been a losing team; from the late 1980's to early 90's the Saints went to the playoffs 4 times when they had Head Coach Jim Mora Sr. along with having the #1 Linebacking Corp of ALL-TIME called the "Dome Patrol". Then in the mid 1990's Mike Ditka came along and messed the team up especially in 1999 when he traded ALL of his draft picks just to get one player...Ricky Williams. 2000 Season Jim Haslett comes in aand helps the Saints have their first playoff win in team history(the win was against the St.Louis Rams that had won the Super Bowl a season ago). From 2001-2004 the Saints DID have winning seasons but didn't make the playoffs due to tie-breakers and in 2005 Katrina happened which made the Saints travel almost everywhere since they did not have a Home Stadium due to the storm(Katrina).

Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM

18,136 posts, read 25,669,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
You know what?

Most people had always talked about the Saints losing days leading up to their first Super Bowl win.

Yet, they don't even mention anything about the Pittsburgh Steelers for being a LOSING TEAM for over 40 YEARS before they had their very 1st Super Bowl Title.

There's been teams in the NFL that had losing seasons before they had finally became winners...I just don't know why the Saints have to be brought up like their(are) were the only ones to be a losing team in the History Of The NFL.

And the Saints hasn't always been a losing team; from the late 1980's to early 90's the Saints went to the playoffs 4 times when they had Head Coach Jim Mora Sr. along with having the #1 Linebacking Corp of ALL-TIME called the "Dome Patrol". Then in the mid 1990's Mike Ditka came along and messed the team up especially in 1999 when he traded ALL of his draft picks just to get one player...Ricky Williams. 2000 Season Jim Haslett comes in aand helps the Saints have their first playoff win in team history(the win was against the St.Louis Rams that had won the Super Bowl a season ago). From 2001-2004 the Saints DID have winning seasons but didn't make the playoffs due to tie-breakers and in 2005 Katrina happened which made the Saints travel almost everywhere since they did not have a Home Stadium due to the storm(Katrina).
Noticed you are kinda new here. Welcome to the football forum!

Your point is well taken on the New Orleans Saints, yes, thankfully Jim Mora done a great job for the years he was there, giving them some winning seasons and a few playoff berths. And give credit where credit is due to Bum Philips who was hired for the 1981 season, he at least was able to get them to a .500 season. It's rare for a head coach to abruptly quit in the middle of the season, simply saying "I'm not doing the job I should be doing." If memory serves, his son Wade took over the club for the remainder of the 1985 season. The Saints struggled those early years, but most expansion clubs from that era did.

Regarding the Steelers, they did have some winning seasons but no division titles or NFL Championships. None. They gave it a good run when Buddy Parker abruptly quit as head coach of the Detroit Lions in 1957and was named Steeler head coach the next year. Shortly afterwards he was able to pry Bobby Layne from the Lions in a trade. In 1958 they finished 7-4-1, in 1962 they were 9-5, and in 1963 they were 7-4-3. That was as close as they came as Bobby Layne eventually retired. In 1969 Chuck Noll was hired, and you know the rest!

A quick note on those Steelers teams. There were a couple instances where a couple of NFL clubs had to merge clubs together because of World War II. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh merged to become the "Steagles", I believe that was in 1943. There were another club or two who were involved in that, I'll have to look that up. But yes, for their entire existence until 1972, they had never won either a division crown or an NFL Championship, for that matter.

And 40 years IS a long time!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-03-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Noticed you are kinda new here. Welcome to the football forum!

Your point is well taken on the New Orleans Saints, yes, thankfully Jim Mora done a great job for the years he was there, giving them some winning seasons and a few playoff berths. And give credit where credit is due to Bum Philips who was hired for the 1981 season, he at least was able to get them to a .500 season. It's rare for a head coach to abruptly quit in the middle of the season, simply saying "I'm not doing the job I should be doing." If memory serves, his son Wade took over the club for the remainder of the 1985 season. The saints struggled those early years, but most expansion clubs from that era did.

Regarding the Steelers, they did have some winning seasons but no division titles or NFL Championships. None. They gave it a good run when Buddy Parker abruptly quit as head coach of the Detroit Lions in 1957. Shortly afterwards he was able to pry Bobby Layne from the Lions in a trade. In 1958 they finished 7-4-1, in 1962 they were 9-5, and in 1963 they were 7-4-3. That was as close as they came until 1969 when Chuck Noll was hired, and you know the rest!

A quick note on those Steelers teams. There were a couple instances where a couple of NFL clubs had to merge clubs together because of World War II. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh merged to become the "Steagles", I believe that was in 1943. There were another club or two who were involved in that, I'll have to look that up. But yes, for their entire existence until 1972, they had never won either a division crown or an NFL Championship, for that matter.

And 40 years IS a long time!
I know the other club that the Steelers joined, it was the Arizona Cardinals(or Chicago Cards) and they've became the "Cardpitts".

And yeah, I can't count out Bum Phillips and his son Wade Phillips they did all they could to help the Saints be winners.

Also, there was a coach who won the Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs who coached the Saints somewhere in the 1970's but I forgot his name.

And you're right on what you've said about the era when expansion teams were not doing well, the Buccaneers were one of them even though they did go to the playoffs a few times(including the NFC Championship).

Last edited by Blackandgold51; 11-03-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I know the other club that the Steelers joined, it was the Arizona Cardinals and they've became the "Cardpitts".

And yeah, I can't count out Bum Phillips and his son Wade Phillips they did all they could to help the Saints be winners.

Also, there was a coach who won the Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs who coached the Saints somewhere in the 1970's but I forgot his name.
Hank Stram. His firing was to this day is rather curious IMO because of the abruptness and the timing of it. A quick note on Mora. It was only a short time previous that the USFL folded their league, and you had all that personnel to choose from. If memory serves Mora was head coach of the Philadelphia Stars, and if memory serves coached the Stars to two of the three USFL championships. Needless to say, he was in demand at the time and the Saints wasted no time in signing him!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Hank Stram. His firing was to this day is rather curious IMO because of the abruptness and the timing of it. A quick note on Mora. It was only a short time previous that the USFL folded their league, and you had all that personnel to choose from. If memory serves Mora was head coach of the Philadelphia Stars, and if memory serves coached the Stars to two of the three USFL championships. Needless to say, he was in demand at the time and the Saints wasted no time in signing him!
And when he went to the Saints USFL player for the same team Mora has coached was Sam Mills who played linebacker for the Saints "Dome Patrol" Defense. He went along with Mora to the Saints.

And about Hank Stram, yeah he was fired especially after theSaints lost against the Buccaneers when the Buccaneers got their first win from the Saints after the last couple of seasons of straight loses.

It was an embarrasment.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Pittsburgh beating Minnesota in SUPER BOWL IX; with the "Steel Curtain" just dominating the game.
Super Bowl IX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 PM

The post on this thread (#121) regarding Lou Saban, head coach of the Denver Broncos, was what a lot of NFL fans identify him with; the famous quote being "They're killing me Whitey, they're killing me!" Two, maybe three years ago on the NFL Channel NFL Films done a one hour bio on Saban. One of the lighter moments on that bio was NFL Films producer Steve Sabol joking with Saban about how much "mileage" he had gotten from some of Saban's sound bytes over the years, and there certainly was a lot of them.

If you go a little further and talk to the fans who go back to day one of the Denver Bronco franchise though, a lot of them won't pick that particular game as the most memorable in team history, particularly in Lou Saban's tenure in Denver which was from 1967 to 1971. That game is generally regarded by most long time fans (myself included) as the most controversial game in Denver Bronco history. And most memorable. It was known as the Lou Saban "half a loaf game."

It was the opening game of the 1971 season. The past couple seasons saw the Broncos playing great football at the start, showing competitive play like never before, then tailing off at the end with season with final records of 5-8-1 and 5-8-1. Saban sort of mortgaged next years draft to try to get the Broncos over the hump, to get them their first winning season as a franchise. A lot of new faces were on the 1971 Bronco club, amongst them running back Dickie Post, quarterback Don Horn, kicker Jim Turner, defensive backs Booker Edgerson and Butch Byrd, tight end Jim Whalen, linebacker Olen Underwood, and other players from other clubs.

They opened the 1971 season against the Miami Dolphins. As an expansion franchise who joined the NFL, they had finished predictably with four losing seasons in a row. Head coach George Wilson was fired and replaced by Don Shula who amazingly turned around the franchise in a years time, taking a team who in 1969 finished at 3-10-1 and was a 10-4 team in 1970. It was one of the most amazing turnarounds in any franchise's history. They went to the playoffs that year as a wild card, losing to the Oakland Raiders 21-14.

Mile High Stadium had undergone a couple renovations that put capacity to 51,228 and the home opener started a streak of home sellouts that still goes to this day. To this day I not only remember the game but also the weather conditions for the game. It was September 19th, and yea, it can and does snow in Denver at that time of the year. The night before the game four inches of snow fell in the Mile High City.

It was pretty much a nondescript game for the most part. Denver's offense basically featured Floyd Little off tackle, Floyd Little up the middle, and Floyd Little on a sweep. Suddenly Don Horn hit rookie receiver Dwight Harrison on a long pass which tied the score at 10. The Bronco defense played well as they pretty much shut down Bob Griese, Larry Csonka and Co. But the game turned into another one of those affairs where the Bronco offense would turn the ball over. And over. And over. With three minutes left in the game Denver made Miami punt and got the ball deep in their territory. And Saban decided to run the ball hoping to run the clock out. And the fans did not like it. On one play Floyd busted one for close to thirty yards and got up towards mid field. Denver then tried passing the ball on the next couple downs and both went incomplete. And then they decided to run out the clock with the game ending at a 10-10 tie.

The fans were um, not happy. Closer to enraged was probably more like it. And then things got worse when Monday's Denver Post came out with coach Saban's comments about the game. It was not pretty.

"We had chances, they had chances. We blew them."
"They had better personnel on that club than us and I wasn't about to let them win it."
"What's the old saying, 'A half a loaf is better than none'?"

Wrong things to say. The press grilled Saban for days. And leading the charge was the senior writer of the Denver Post, Jim Graham. Regarding the top personnel comment, Graham asked Saban about how Don Shula can take a 3-10-1 club and make it into a 10-4 club in one year and you are basically wanting to just hang on for a tie and not even try to win the game. And if they had better personnel than the Broncos had then just what the hell has Saban been doing the last five years with this team.

The game and the remarks made by Saban were talked about for days and days. The fans were incensed by the comments and took it from there. After Denver got stomped by Green Bay 34-13, the Bronco fans came armed for the next home game. Kansas City came to town and beat Denver 16-3, but the thing that caught the press's attention were the hundreds of loaves of bread that were thrown out on the field by the fans in the South Stands both before the players were introduced before the game and then after the game.

After that the hundreds became thousands. Oakland defeated Denver 27-16 in week 3 and half loaves of bread were tossed on the field from all over the stadium. By this time the stadium commission saw there was a huge problem developing. On week 4 San Diego came to town and Denver won their first game 20-16. Through the stadium entrances several huge metal containers were set up and anyone carrying loaves of bread were told to ditch the bread there, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed into the stadium. The Denver network TV stations had gotten the word out about that situation as well.

Lou Saban's fifth year as a Bronco head coach/general manager ended around week 9 after losing to Cincinnati 24-10. The word was after the game he did not say anything to the media and he had left the stadium and immediately boarded a plane to Buffalo, New York. Assistant coach Jerry Smith was named interim coach of the Broncos for the final five games of the season. He made a phone call to owner Gerry Phipps and resigned but would stay on as g.m. until the end of the season.

It was one of the most memorable games ever for a Bronco fan- ever.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-09-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football