Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,357,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
That Tebow comback against the jets has to rate way up there....probably number 2 to the 1985 bears loss to Miami and Dan Marino.
Really? Im a Bronco fan and even I have a hard time putting that one ahead of some of the other Bronco victories including the Drive by Elway when they beat the Cleveland Browns. Not to meantion my all time favorite game when the Broncos beat Green Bay in the Superbowl in what was a masterful performance by John Elway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,239,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Really? Im a Bronco fan and even I have a hard time putting that one ahead of some of the other Bronco victories including the Drive by Elway when they beat the Cleveland Browns. Not to meantion my all time favorite game when the Broncos beat Green Bay in the Superbowl in what was a masterful performance by John Elway.
Yeah, but you expect John Elway to do that kind of stuff...it was AWESOME, but Tebow, my expectaions...not so much. I admit, the GB VS Den Game was spectacular

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM

218 posts, read 243,250 times
The damn tuck rule game. I hated NE with a passion after that game.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,669,029 times
The Buffalo Bill fans haven't had much to hang their hat on lately. The last time they were having some great years were from 1990 to 1993, where they went to four straight super bowls, losing them all. But there was a time that they were a great club, a club that won two consecutive AFL Championships and came close to a third, losing to the Kansas City Chiefs who later represented the AFL in SB-I.

In 1964 Buffalo under the leadership of Lou Saban had built a powerhouse defense led by Ron McDole, Tom Sestak, and three linebackers who played 64 games straight (nearly 5 seasons together as a linebacking unit; Harry Jacobs, John Tracey, and Mike Stratton with a fourth backer became one of the most noted NFL head coaches in the last 25 years-Marty Schottenheimer.)

The Elias Sports Bureau is the bible when it comes to statistics when it comes to professional sports. I have my doubts whether that above stat would list in the Elias book, as noteworthy as it is. But there is one stat that is quite noteworthy and it defines the Buffalo Bills during that era; during the 1964-5 season, Buffalo did not give up a rushing touchdown in 17 straight games, which is an NFL record that still stands 47 years later. And they possessed a stingy secondary with Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, George Saimes, and Hagood Clark as good a deep four as anyone in the league. And it was a good thing they had a great defense as in the 1964 AFL Championship game they faced the San Diego Chargers, who in the previous year defeated the Boston Patriots 51-10 to win the 1963 AFL Championship. And they had some great offensive weapons with Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe in the backfield, and John Hadl and a rejuvenated Tobin Rote throwing the ball to the best AFL receiver by a mile-Lance Alworth. Buffalo on offense was no slouch; in fact they were one of the first clubs in the AFL that closely resembled an NFL "three yards and a cloud of dust' team. It only took one guy to do that too-fullback Carlton Chester "Cookie" Gilchrist, a 6 ft. 3-252 lb. giant of a fullback who previously played several seasons in the Canadian Football League.

After that '63 Championship game, it was noted by several old line NFL people like Paul Brown and Otto Graham that the AFL had progressed so much and with what San Diego had as an organization that they could take on the 1963 NFL Champion Chicago Bears and quite likely beat them. In fact, San Diego head coach and general manager Sid Gilman openly challenged Chicago head coach George Halas to a game, played on a neutral field, to see who really was the best! Unfortunately, nothing had become of it.

The game was won by Buffalo, 20-7. But the play of the game was a play that eventually was coined as a phrase "the tackle heard round the world." Buffalo was down 7-0 when San Diego got the ball on a Paul McGuire punt. And a short flare pass from Tobin Rote to Keith Lincoln was met by a thunderous violent tackle, totally textbook style, courtesy of linebacker Mike Stratton. I remember that play to this day and it was replayed over and over and over. AFL broadcaster Curt Gowdy, who deemed the hit on tv "that tackle was heard around the world." Lincoln suffered three broken ribs on that play, San Diego's attack just totally deflated, Buffalo dominated and won going away 20-7.

On the surface a 20-7 victory involving a player who was carted off the field with three broken ribs didn't sound like anything where legends could be made, but it gave another important step towards another AFL club who felt that they could take on an NFL team-any team in fact. Memorable? To a generation of fans who grew up in the 1960's to watch a league that was derided by the NFL and was pegged as a league that won't last a season. It did more than last just a season because they took on the NFL, became their equal, became better than them by winning Super Bowls III and IV, and forced a merger between the two leagues. To those fans, particularly the Buffalo Bill fans, it was absolutely memorable!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-09-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM

11,132 posts, read 10,898,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The Buffalo Bill fans haven't had much to hang their hat on lately. The last time they were having some great years were from 1990 to 1993, where they went to four straight super bowls, losing them all. But there was a time that they were a great club, a club that won two consecutive AFL Championships and came close to a third, losing to the Kansas City Chiefs who later represented the AFL in SB-I.

In 1964 Buffalo under the leadership of Lou Saban had built a powerhouse defense led by Ron McDole, Tom Sestak, and three linebackers who played 64 games straight (nearly 5 seasons together as a linebacking unit; Harry Jacobs, John Tracey, and Mike Stratton with a fourth backer became one of the most noted NFL head coaches in the last 25 years-Marty Schottenheimer.)

The Elias Sports Bureau is the bible when it comes to statistics when it comes to professional sports. I have my doubts whether that above stat would list in the Elias book, as noteworthy as it is. But there is one stat that is quite noteworthy and it defines the Buffalo Bills during that era; during the 1964-5 season, Buffalo did not give up a rushing touchdown in 17 straight games, which is an NFL record that still stands 47 years later. And they possessed a stingy secondary with Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, George Saimes, and Hagood Clark as good a deep four as anyone in the league. And it was a good thing they had a great defense as in the 1964 AFL Championship game they faced the San Diego Chargers, who in the previous year defeated the Boston Patriots 51-10 to win the 1963 AFL Championship. And they had some great offensive weapons with Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe in the backfield, and John Hadl and a rejuvenated Tobin Rote throwing the ball to the best AFL receiver by a mile-Lance Alworth. Buffalo on offense was no slouch; in fact they were one of the first clubs in the AFL that closely resembled an NFL "three yards and a cloud of dust' team. It only took one guy to do that too-fullback Carlton Chester "Cookie" Gilchrist, a 6 ft. 3-252 lb. giant of a fullback who previously played several seasons in the Canadian Football League.

After that '63 Championship game, it was noted by several old line NFL people like Paul Brown and Otto Graham that the AFL had progressed so much and with what San Diego had as an organization that they could take on the 1963 NFL Champion Chicago Bears and quite likely beat them. In fact, San Diego head coach and general manager Sid Gilman openly challenged Chicago head coach George Halas to a game, played on a neutral field, to see who really was the best! Unfortunately, nothing had become of it.

The game was won by Buffalo, 20-7. But the play of the game was a play that eventually was coined as a phrase "the tackle heard round the world." Buffalo was down 7-0 when San Diego got the ball on a Paul McGuire punt. And a short flare pass from Tobin Rote to Keith Lincoln was met by a thunderous violent tackle, totally textbook style, courtesy of linebacker Mike Stratton. I remember that play to this day and it was replayed over and over and over. AFL broadcaster Curt Gowdy, who deemed the hit on tv "that tackle was heard around the world." Lincoln suffered three broken ribs on that play, San Diego's attack just totally deflated, Buffalo dominated and won going away 20-7.

On the surface a 20-7 victory involving a player who was carted off the field with three broken ribs didn't sound like anything where legends could be made, but it gave another important step towards another AFL club who felt that they could take on an NFL team-any team in fact. Memorable? To a generation of fans who grew up in the 1960's to watch a league that was derided by the NFL and was pegged as a league that won't last a season. It did more than last just a season because they took on the NFL, became their equal, became better than them by winning Super Bowls III and IV, and forced a merger between the two leagues. To those fans, particularly the Buffalo Bill fans, it was absolutely memorable!
Thank you HH! This may be the best and most informative post I've ever seen on CD! In six paragraphs, you encapsulate the unforgettable memory of a team that I love and a distant era in which seems so long ago. I was not alive yet, still 10 years from my time.

While you have this game etched into your memory, my personal rememberances consist of the four Superbowl losses and the misery that was the Music City Miracle. That was a rough day, not to mention the last time they had a shot in the playoffs. I guess that moment can be counteracted by the beauty of "The Comeback" against the Oilers, and the game against Tennessee this weekend is one I'll be watching with interest, even though it really doesn't mean much this season.

As a major Bills fan, I'd give you a hundred reps for this post if I could. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this oft forgotten piece of history. You truly brightened up my otherwise boring evening!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-09-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM

417 posts, read 363,866 times
Packers game against the Giants last night ranks up there, I was watching it at the restaurant I work at and even my tables were going nuts rooting against the Packers, while I was one of a very few number of Packers fans. The anticipation at the last few minutes of the game was insane.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,011,823 times
The AFC championship game in 2006 between the Colts and the Patriots ranks up there for me!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 AM

26,114 posts, read 48,706,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
....but it gave another important step towards another AFL club who felt that they could take on an NFL team-any team in fact. Memorable? To a generation of fans who grew up in the 1960's to watch a league that was derided by the NFL and was pegged as a league that won't last a season. It did more than last just a season because they took on the NFL, became their equal, became better than them by winning Super Bowls III and IV, and forced a merger between the two leagues. To those fans, particularly the Buffalo Bill fans, it was absolutely memorable!
Great post, but if you will indulge me, I'd like to forget SB III. Thankkkkkewwwww.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,680,317 times
About 10 weeks prior to "The Greatest Game That Was Ever Played," my Chicago Bears trounced the LA Rams 31-10. The gang-tackling style of the Bears led to many Rams being injured and carried off the field. When these teams met three weeks later in Los Angeles, it was a different story.

A new NFL attendance record of 100,470 was set that afternoon. (I've also seen the number reported as 90,833. My local paper said 103,00 plus 10,000 turned away.) The LA fans wanted to see blood and they weren't disappointed. Every time a Bear was carried off the field there was a deafening roar. When I tried to cheer for the Bears I was told to shut the FU by everyone around me, and I did.

That was the first time that I saw cheerleaders at an NFL game. I believe that they were HS kids from local schools. Even though the Bears lost 41-35, that was the most exciting game I've ever witnessed. Jon Arnett had 295 total yards, and he was one of the reasons that the Rams average attendance that year was 83,680.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,669,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Great post, but if you will indulge me, I'd like to forget SB III. Thankkkkkewwwww.
As a Denver Bronco fan from the earliest days of their existence, I certainly wasn't bonkers on us getting whipped easily by the best clubs in the league, particularly Kansas City and Oakland. And at that time I was only 14 years old. That's why I was torn about SB-III myself. My earliest remembrances of football was number 19; the flattop, stoop shoulders, with the high tops and the reference and actual nickname he picked up early in his career-the Golden Arm; number 19, John Unitas. It was only a year previous that the Baltimore Colts saw the retirements of three of the best players in their history; Raymond Berry, Jim Parker, and Lennie Moore. But the Colts hardly slowed down in 1968. I was and still am a fan of Johnny Unitas, who was and is the face of the National Football League, then, now, and in the future.

I was stunned when the New York Jets beat the Oakland Raiders but maybe I shouldn't have been. Oakland on paper had a better record than the Jets and had beaten the Jets earlier in the season in one of the memorable games in AFL history, which is referred to as the "Heidi" game (refer to post #50 in this thread) As we were getting closer to Super Bowl III, I was torn a tad by AFL loyalty against rooting for a club I followed as a kid.

I was just as stunned as how how poorly the Colts had played in that super bowl Mike From back East is referring to. They were moving the ball fine; in fact I don't remember one time the Colts didn't reach midfield on any of those drives in the first half. It's just that they played so poorly with so many turnovers happening to them. It was obvious to me that Don Shula and his staff did not scout the Jets as much as they could have, but it's hard to say just what they could have done. But give credit to the Jet defense as they confused the Colts in more ways than one regarding defensive looks.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-09-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football