U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 06:59 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,150,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Monday Night Football. The House of Pain game between the Eagles and Oilers in 1991. I have never before or since seen a more vicious, violent exhibition of defensive prowess. The Eagles were the best and the meanest defense in football that year. Total domination and intimidation of another team's offense. There wasn't an offensive player on the Oilers who even wanted to get out there on the field after witnessing Andre Waters' and Wes Hopkins' total destruction of their receivers.
One of my favorite games of all-time, partly because the Eagles' defense dominated the much-vaunted Oilers' Run-and-Shoot offense, partly because my favorite Eagles player of all-time, Seth Joyner, had a spectacular game (one that caused Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z, Paul Zimmerman, to name him NFL Player of the Year that season), and partly because it occurred on my birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM

22,851 posts, read 19,286,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Once again, what ever the last game Tim Tebow has played in. Saturday was freakishly amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am hoping I can say that after tonight's game......
I can say last night's game. Sorry fellas.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,757,956 times
I will still have to say the famous Ice Bowl Game in Green Bay in 1967----the NFL championship game between the Packers and the Cowboys.

We were living in Milwaukee at the time-----the temps for the whole week never got above -5----and as low as -22 or -23.

It was so horrendously cold, that venturing out to the store was a suicide mission----we had frozen pipes and all sorts of other problems.

The courage and desire those guys showed on the field fighting those elements-----it wasnt the most artistic game played in nfl history, but it was a great fourth quarter and finish.

If I remember correctly, a little used reserve, Chuck Mercein, wound up playing a huge role on the winning drive.

It was a heck of contests with true warriors on the field----tough guys and almost indecent elements.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
2006 AFC Divisional Playoff Game between the Steelers and Colts. I'm not a fan of either team, but boy was that game incredible.

Steelers put the pressure on early. Cowher dialed up so much pressure on blitzes you would have thought that the refs and cheerleaders were rushing in, too. Manning was getting sacked and hit left and right. The Steelers were sharp in the first half and went into the locker room with a commanding 17-3 lead.

Then Cowher really decides to tighten the noose. So he predictably goes for an onside kick to start the first half! WTF?!? Who does that? Then the Colts drive down the field and score. Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne put in some MVP worthy performances in the third and fourth quarters. Then on a tying drive, Peyton throws a pass, Polemalu catches it, and rolls around on the ground twice before briefly losing control of the ball (and then immediately securing it again). The refs say no interception because Troy hadn't made a "football move" as if rolling around on the ground twice with clear possession of the ball wasn't a move.

So the Colts keep possession, but it doesn't matter because Peyton gets sacked on 4th Down at the 1 yard line. With "The Bus" in the backfield, all the Steelers have to do is call a run up the gut to put the Colts away. Well, they call the run up the gut, and Jerome Bettis fumbles! On the 1 yard line! Nick Harper runs the ball back to midfield, but he's not as fast as he normally is because his girlfriend had stabbed him in the thigh a few days before the game! He gets tripped up by Big Ben of all people. With great field position, Peyton puts his team in position to tie the game with a Vanderjagt FG. And Vandy kicks an easy 30-something yarder somewhere over in Ohio. Steelers win.

That has to be the most memorable game I've ever seen.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,466,542 times
I attended the " Immaculate Reception" game at Three Rivers Stadium, Dec., 1972. My most memorable game.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I attended the " Immaculate Reception" game at Three Rivers Stadium, Dec., 1972. My most memorable game.
The original broadcast:

Immaculate Reception - original broadcast - YouTube

Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
Granted, I'm a fairly new football fan, and only go/watch when the tickets are given to me. But I have to vote for last weekend, when I attended the 49ers vs Saints playoff game... my gawd that was an exciting game, huh?? Probably going this Sunday too, so let's hope it's just as amazing!!

Here's a picture I took from the game, and the beautiful sea of red.

Go Niners!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM

768 posts, read 919,649 times
Super Bowl XLIV. Go Saints.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,466,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Many thanks for that video. My view was the second part, as my seat was high up in the opposite end zone, although I was actually standing at the exit, figuring, like most folks , that the game was over, but let's at least watch the last play. What a play!!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,070,478 times
For me it's the 1987 Divisional Playoff game when the Cleveland Browns defeated the NY Jets in double overtime 23-20.

Other mentions:

1993 Browns beat Steve Young and Jerry Rice on Monday Night Football 20-13

Also in 1993 Eric Metcalf's 2 punt returns help defeat the arch rival Steelers 28-23.

1989 Browns go to Pittsburgh and whoop the Steelers on opening day 51-0!

2000 Browns get their first victory in the new Cleveland Browns stadium with a Courtney Brown sack of Kent Graham as time runs out killing the chance for Pittsburgh to kick the game tying field goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football