U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,533 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Reputation: 11425

Advertisements

For me ...

San Diego over Miami 41-38 in playoff OT game.

Philadelphia over Dallas 27-0 in the Bounty Bowl - Aikman sacked 11 times.

Philadelphia over NY Giants 38-31 - D. Jackson wins with a punt return last year after training 31-10 w/ eight minutes remaining. Seems like a long way from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I remember that game and how Buddy Ryan remained upbeat and falling behind.

No depression for me though...


Boy that was a painful loss-lol You know years ago I always assumed a 20 pt lead meant your team won and I had trouble at a young age dealing with major collapses like that. I was so confused that day and was in shocked they blew that game.


BTW: The Eagles lost the same way the following week at home to the Joe Montana and the niners after being up 28-10 in 4th qtr. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
For me ...

San Diego over Miami 41-38 in playoff OT game.

Philadelphia over Dallas 27-0 in the Bounty Bowl - Aikman sacked 11 times.

Philadelphia over NY Giants 38-31 - D. Jackson wins with a punt return last year after training 31-10 w/ eight minutes remaining. Seems like a long way from now.

One of the knocks on Aikman was he had absolutely no mobility and would just fall to the ground and curl up in a ball when he felt defensive heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,575,774 times
Reputation: 9446
"Monday Night Miracle."

Redskins down 13-0 on MNF, less than 3 minutes left in the game, and Santana Moss catches two BOMBS to beat the Dallas Cowboys. It's the reason why Santana Moss is considered one of the greatest Redskins to ever live.




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
"Monday Night Miracle."

Redskins down 13-0 on MNF, less than 3 minutes left in the game, and Santana Moss catches two BOMBS to beat the Dallas Cowboys. It's the reason why Santana Moss is considered one of the greatest Redskins to ever live.






I don't remember the year but that was Joe Gibbs first game back as the SKins coach correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,175 posts, read 4,628,154 times
Reputation: 4229
Well, I could pick the Colts Super Bowl win as my most memorable but the game itself was really kinda blah. A Super Bowl in a monsoon isn't really that fun.

So my pick is a tie. One of my favorites is the Colts-Patriots AFC conference championship game in 2006 in which the Colts were down 21-3 at halftime and came back to win the game and go to the Super Bowl. It made up for the heartbreaking loss in the 2005 divisional championship game against the Steelers when Roethlisburger tackled our defensive back who was running a fumble back for a touchdown and then Vanderjagt missed the field goal to tie the game.

Another memorable one is on Monday Night Football in 2003 against Tampa Bay in Tampa, known around here as the Monday Night Miracle. The Bucs had a 35-14 lead with 5 minutes to go in the game. Somehow the Colts recovered 2 onsides kicks and scored 3 touchdowns in less than 5 minutes to send the game to overtime. Then there was the crazy "leaping" penalty on a field goal that Vanderjagt missed in overtime on the Bucs and so the Colts got to rekick and they won. Even the rekick hit the upright before it bounced through. I knew so many people that went to bed when Tampa scored to take a 21 point lead with 5 minutes to go in the game. And they woke up to see the Colts won and thought, WTF??? I was fortunately enough to have class that night so I recorded the game on tape. I never recorded over it because it was such an amazing comeback.

Also, the 2009 season when the Colts began 14-0 and then benched the starters with the lead halfway through the Jets game. The Colts lost and then playing with 2nd string again the next week against the Bills finished the season 14-2. Many people here around Indy still believe the Colts would have gone 16-0 had they not benched the starters for the playoffs and many are still angry about it to this day. That season, the Colts went to the Super Bowl but lost to the Saints. It's definitely memorable in that I'll-always-remember-where-I-was type of ways, but not a great memory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Well, I could pick the Colts Super Bowl win as my most memorable but the game itself was really kinda blah. A Super Bowl in a monsoon isn't really that fun.

So my pick is a tie. One of my favorites is the Colts-Patriots AFC conference championship game in 2006 in which the Colts were down 21-3 at halftime and came back to win the game and go to the Super Bowl. It made up for the heartbreaking loss in the 2005 divisional championship game against the Steelers when Roethlisburger tackled our defensive back who was running a fumble back for a touchdown and then Vanderjagt missed the field goal to tie the game.

Another memorable one is on Monday Night Football in 2003 against Tampa Bay in Tampa, known around here as the Monday Night Miracle. The Bucs had a 35-14 lead with 5 minutes to go in the game. Somehow the Colts recovered 2 onsides kicks and scored 3 touchdowns in less than 5 minutes to send the game to overtime. Then there was the crazy "leaping" penalty on a field goal that Vanderjagt missed in overtime on the Bucs and so the Colts got to rekick and they won. Even the rekick hit the upright before it bounced through. I knew so many people that went to bed when Tampa scored to take a 21 point lead with 5 minutes to go in the game. And they woke up to see the Colts won and thought, WTF??? I was fortunately enough to have class that night so I recorded the game on tape. I never recorded over it because it was such an amazing comeback.

Also, the 2009 season when the Colts began 14-0 and then benched the starters with the lead halfway through the Jets game. The Colts lost and then playing with 2nd string again the next week against the Bills finished the season 14-2. Many people here around Indy still believe the Colts would have gone 16-0 had they not benched the starters for the playoffs and many are still angry about it to this day. That season, the Colts went to the Super Bowl but lost to the Saints. It's definitely memorable in that I'll-always-remember-where-I-was type of ways, but not a great memory!

Tom Brady's defense let him down that day and he was definitely supposed to be in the SB in 2007 lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,575,774 times
Reputation: 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't remember the year but that was Joe Gibbs first game back as the SKins coach correct?
Very close!

That was the second game of the season. But yes, it was the first season of the "Gibbs II era," as Redskins nation refers to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Very close!

That was the second game of the season. But yes, it was the first season of the "Gibbs II era," as Redskins nation refers to it.

Yeah I remember the gatorade bath and I think Parcells was still the coach of Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
8,115 posts, read 17,340,828 times
Reputation: 7287
For many younger NFL fans, anyone who witnessed the Ravens take down of the Broncos in OT this past Sunday might very well reference this game in future years, when it comes to naming their most memorable one, for this one had all the trappings of an all time classic. Of course, the centerpiece of this game will be the Flacco to Jacoby Jones touchdown. According to advancedNFLstats.com, at the time of this touchdown, the Ravens had less than a 1% chance of winning the game. In a historical context, in considering memorable NFL playoff moments, this play was in line with Staubach to Pearson in 1975. The storyline of Manning vs Lewis in this game, with Lewis perhaps in his last game, and how Peyton Manning looked expression-wise as the game began to descend into overtime, all these elements will be with me for many years to come. While I cannot definitively state this is my all time most memorable NFL game, because I have seen so many, it certainly made its way into my top dozen or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top