U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM

5,225 posts, read 5,100,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
1975 (or maybe 76) Baltimore Colts-Pittsburgh Steelers playoff game in Baltimore. Outside Memorial Stadium a Steeler fan is in line in front of me dragging a quarter barrel of Iron City beer. I can't believe he's even trying to get it inside. He gets held up by security. I pass him. 20 minutes later he's coming down the aisle in the next section over, with the keg. He said they let him go when he showed them a ticket for himself and one for the keg. He sat down with his buddies, and proceeded to tap beers for any and all. Try to top that.

Colts fans thought we might be able to beat Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Iron Curtain, etc. After all we had Bert Jones. We kicked the first score, a field goal, to lead 3-0. It was all downhill from then on. Bradshaw picked us apart and we lost 35-3.

Just as we were getting ready to leave, and talking about the beer keg being the damndest thing we ever saw in a stadium, a small plane flies the length of the field and belly flops in the upper deck of Memorial Stadium. Wasn't that much of a football game, but certainly a day I'll never forget.
You were at that game?

Well, not the Colts at their best, but a memorable one, indeed.

I remember watching it with a couple friends, then leaving the house to go to a concert at the Civic Center (Foghat, Boston, Crack The Sky, Ruth Copeland). We had the game on the radio and were listening to the post-game wrapup when the announcer breaks his commentary with, "Ladies and gentlemen, an airplane has just crashed into the upper deck of Memorial Stadium!"

Every time I'd go to the stadium after that, I'd think about what an impossible aerobatic move that guy was trying to pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
My earliest recollection of the NFL was when Jim Marshall ran the wrong way for an apparent touchdown against San Francisco. I still remember the moment of jubilation he showed as he tossed the ball away as a 49er ran up to congratulate him. I also remember crying...in hindsight that maybe should have been noted as a harbinger of what was to come and I could have used the fall to begin a leaf collection instead of watching football.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,157,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
49ers at eagles on Sept 21, 1989

Joe Montana showed me in this game why he was the greatest QB all of time. His niners trailed 28-10 in the 3rd qtr while he ran for his life from the eagles defense and constantly got sacked. It was looking like the eagles would win in a rout but something happened and the niners all of a sudden start making a comeback, 28-17, 28-24, and then took the lead 31-28 and Joe ended up with 4 TD passes that day as they won 38-28. They scored 28 unanswered pts in one half and I remember the philly media being in complete shock.

One of the greatest NFL games of my teen years
The funny thing is the Eagles were on the other (more enjoyable) side of an equally amazing comeback and exciting game one week earlier against the Redskins at RFK Stadium. The Redskins jumped all over the Eagles early in the game, and led 20-0 in the middle of the 1st half. The Eagles righted the ship as the half progressed, but still trailed 30-14 at halftime. In the second half, the Eagles' offense really got going, but still trailed 37-28 late in the 4th quarter. After the Eagles scored a touchdown to cut the deficit to 37-35, Washington got the ball back and was in the process of running out of the clock on a nice game-ending drive when Gerald Riggs (or Ernest Byner, I can't remember) fumbled and the Eagles recovered and ran back the fumble to the inside the Redskins' 20 yard line. (Incidentally, Riggs had a huge game, rushing for 221 yards.) The Eagles took advantage of the mistake, as Randall Cunningham threw a touchdown pass to Keith Jackson in the last minute or so, and Philadelphia won 42-37. Cunningham, who had signed a contract extension that morning, had arguably his greatest game in an Eagles' uniform, throwing for 447 yards and (I think) 5 touchdowns in leading the comeback.

One other thing - with that 49ers' comeback, it was no surprise to me because great comebacks were Joe Montana's forte. Additionally, the Eagles' defense had given up tons of yards in their last two games (this game and the Redskins game I described above). I knew that game wasn't over even when the Eagles led 28-10 early in the 4th quarter. (I probably still had bad memories of some of the Eagles bad losses in then-recent years, most notably against the Vikings in 1985 when the Eagles blew a 23-0 lead in the 4th quarter at home.) I think the thing that was impressive was that the 49ers were either in the middle of or finishing a 3 consecutive road game stretch, and the game against the Eagles, a playoff team the year before, was at 1 PM ET, a tough time to play for West Coast teams. Not only did the 49ers come back and beat the Eagles, they also went 3-0 in that 3 game road stretch.

Last edited by CHIP72; 08-28-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
1998 NFC Championship...

Atlanta (14-2) @ Minnesota (15-1)
Oh this game was a classic for sure - I remember that game. I didn't have any particular attachment to either of those teams, but what I do remember was a seemingly unstoppable offensive machine in Minnesota. That was a fun offense to watch, even if I wasn't really a big Vikes fan.

I won't say I predicted an Atlanta victory, 'cause I didn't. But I did give them at least a puncher's chance in that one, mainly because I felt that Atlanta, despite having one more loss, had faced tougher competition that year, and they faced stiffer competition in the previous game against an aging but still potent 49ers team with Steve Young at the helm. I also felt and still do feel that Atlanta was a tougher match-up for Minnesota than Denver would have been, and that Denver wanted Atlanta to win because of their own match-ups. Denver was a physical but slower team. I think Atlanta was physical like Denver, but in a different way. They were more athletic on defense, I think. I think the Broncs would have had some problems with Minnesota's speed.

What I remember about the game itself was that the Vikings, as they had done all year, came charging out of the gate, but Atlanta didn't panic. When Minnesota scored, Atlanta counter-punched. You could just sense the game's outcome in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
This game was ranked by Fox Sports as the 3rd most exciting NFC title game ever.
It's almost tragic how Minnesota gets beaten in the biggest games, and in some of the most painful ways. Atlanta in '98 and then New Orleans in '09. And I'm honest to goodness not trying to jab Vikes nation - they're actually among the more successful franchises in the NFL. They're just kinda like the Red Sox were all those years, unable to close out the big ones. One day whatever curse they have will reverse itself, and I wouldn't be surprised if they destroy their opponent in a Super Bowl to compensate for all of the bitter losses they've had over the years. I'd like to see them do it just once actually.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM

16,529 posts, read 20,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
My earliest recollection of the NFL was when Jim Marshall ran the wrong way for an apparent touchdown against San Francisco. I still remember the moment of jubilation he showed as he tossed the ball away as a 49er ran up to congratulate him. I also remember crying...in hindsight that maybe should have been noted as a harbinger of what was to come and I could have used the fall to begin a leaf collection instead of watching football.
The irony of ironies is that Marshall would always be known for that gaffe and not much of anything else, at least in the minds of the average fan. Well, Jim Marshall would later be known for things other than that famous play.

He was a true iron man in NFL history. He was defensive end where you hit and get hit on every play. And for nearly a half century he held a record most NFL talking heads would thought to be unchallenged. And that is playing in 270 consecutive games for 20 NFL seasons (he also played his very first season in the Canadian Football League with the Saskatchewan Roughriders., and in 1960 he played for the Cleveland Browns). Brett Favre finally broke the record a couple years ago. Marshall DOES have one record he still holds all those years later (he retired in 1979.) He recovered 30 fumbles in his illustrious career; I'd have to check to see who is in second place, be it a retired or a current player. He also is in second place in Viking team history with 127 sacks (Carl Eller is first.)

A quick note about that 1961 game against San Francisco, which BTW Minnesota won 27-22 against San Francisco. The winning points of that game was courtesy of Carl Eller, who returned a George Mira fumble for a touchdown. The fumble was caused by, yep, Jim Marshall.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-28-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
49ers at eagles on Sept 21, 1989

Joe Montana showed me in this game why he was the greatest QB all of time. His niners trailed 28-10 in the 3rd qtr while he ran for his life from the eagles defense and constantly got sacked. It was looking like the eagles would win in a rout but something happened and the niners all of a sudden start making a comeback, 28-17, 28-24, and then took the lead 31-28 and Joe ended up with 4 TD passes that day as they won 38-28. They scored 28 unanswered pts in one half and I remember the philly media being in complete shock.

One of the greatest NFL games of my teen years
I think the game that once and for all cemented Montana's reputation in my mind was his game against Houston in 1993/94. Not the heroic comebacks of SB 23 or the dominance of SBs 19 or 24. He just gutted it out against what was arguably one of the most dominant defenses of that 10-20 year period. The Oilers were no joke - they had won something like 8 or 9 in a row and earned home field in the playoffs. He just quietly kept the Chiefs in a position to win, which they did. Marcus Allen obviously deserves credit, too, but Montana the game manager was just as deadly as Montana the destroyer. Some big dropped passes that would have sent other QBs into a mental tailspin; he just calmly went right back to work and let the receivers correct themselves. He just found so many ways to defeat opponents. The Michael Jordan of his position.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The funny thing is the Eagles were on the other (more enjoyable) side of an equally amazing comeback and exciting game one week earlier against the Redskins at RFK Stadium. The Redskins jumped all over the Eagles early in the game, and led 20-0 in the middle of the 1st half. The Eagles righted the ship as the half progressed, but still trailed 30-14 at halftime. In the second half, the Eagles' offense really got going, but still trailed 37-28 late in the 4th quarter. After the Eagles scored a touchdown to cut the deficit to 37-35, Washington got the ball back and was in the process of running out of the clock on a nice game-ending drive when Gerald Riggs (or Ernest Byner, I can't remember) fumbled and the Eagles recovered and ran back the fumble to the inside the Redskins' 20 yard line. (Incidentally, Riggs had a huge game, rushing for 221 yards.) The Eagles took advantage of the mistake, as Randall Cunningham threw a touchdown pass to Keith Jackson in the last minute or so, and Philadelphia won 42-37. Cunningham, who had signed a contract extension that morning, had arguably his greatest game in an Eagles' uniform, throwing for 447 yards and (I think) 5 touchdowns in leading the comeback.

One other thing - with that 49ers' comeback, it was no surprise to me because great comebacks were Joe Montana's forte. Additionally, the Eagles' defense had given up tons of yards in their last two games (this game and the Redskins game I described above). I knew that game wasn't over even when the Eagles led 28-10 early in the 4th quarter. (I probably still had bad memories of some of the Eagles bad losses in then-recent years, most notably against the Vikings in 1985 when the Eagles blew a 23-0 lead in the 4th quarter at home.) I think the thing that was impressive was that the 49ers were either in the middle of or finishing a 3 consecutive road game stretch, and the game against the Eagles, a playoff team the year before, was at 1 PM ET, a tough time to play for West Coast teams. Not only did the 49ers come back and beat the Eagles, they also went 3-0 in that 3 game road stretch.

I learned over the years that big leads in the NFL are very misleading because if a team is winning 21-0, it only takes a TD and Fg by the other team to cut the lead to 11 and then it's a new ball game. I can't how many times I thought a NFL game was over when a team fell down 21-0 in the 1st qtr lol

Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post

Do you believe in losses catching up with a team? I remember saying back then that the eagles dodged a bullet and it caught up with the next week at home. Seems like when a NFL barely escapes defeat it always catches up with the team in the next game.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the game that once and for all cemented Montana's reputation in my mind was his game against Houston in 1993/94. Not the heroic comebacks of SB 23 or the dominance of SBs 19 or 24. He just gutted it out against what was arguably one of the most dominant defenses of that 10-20 year period. The Oilers were no joke - they had won something like 8 or 9 in a row and earned home field in the playoffs. He just quietly kept the Chiefs in a position to win, which they did. Marcus Allen obviously deserves credit, too, but Montana the game manager was just as deadly as Montana the destroyer. Some big dropped passes that would have sent other QBs into a mental tailspin; he just calmly went right back to work and let the receivers correct themselves. He just found so many ways to defeat opponents. The Michael Jordan of his position.
Yes Michael Jordan and Joe Montana caused me a lot of pain when I was in highschool

Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Whether it's good, bad, or ugly give us some of your thoughts on a specific game from your favorite team that is memorable to you.
Remembering that game would be cruel and unusual punishment and I'm pretty sure the U.S. Supreme Court decided that was illegal under the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football