U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Remembering that game would be cruel and unusual punishment and I'm pretty sure the U.S. Supreme Court decided that was illegal under the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution.

Heh, cruel and unusual punishment. My posts #121 and #161 in this thread would fall under that category as that end of Bronco history was painful to say the least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Heh, cruel and unusual punishment. My posts #121 and #161 in this thread would fall under that category as that end of Bronco history was painful to say the least!
Great posts! I'd never heard the bread story. Glad you told it.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Bringing this thread up to date.

Calvert, this is the thread I dm'ed ya about. Those Baltimore Colt stories are posts 1, 35, 104, 222, 244, and 205.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,506,314 times
As a Baltimore boy, I should say the 1958 NFL Championship "Greatest Game Ever Played" but that takes 2nd place. The honor goes to the '58 game against the 49ers that got us into the championship. Dad and I attended that frigid Sunday in November and we were down 27-7 at halftime. Final score 35-27. This was the game in which Lennie Moore pulled-off a 73 yd. run that had to be seen to be believed, shaking off tackle after tackle, even running backwards part of the way. That put the score 28-27 and Johnny U. finished it off by hitting Berry with a pass. 35-27.

Honorable mention goes to the last 5 games in '59. We had a 4-3 record and had to win all 5 remaining games to clinch including the final 2 on the West Coast which we almost always lost. But not this time. The '59 Championship game 31-16 over the Giants again was pretty special too.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Default Why Eagles fans boo Santa Claus

Been saving this story for a while with Christmas coming up next Wednesday.

If you are a longtime Philadelphia Eagle fan, and I mean a LONG TIME fan, December 15, 1968 has been etched in NFL folklore with those fans. The location was Franklin Field, the weather conditions were dismal (24 degree temperature, 20 mph wind), the reason for the fan anger was Joe Kuharich, and the recipient for that anger was a regular blue collar Eagle fan by the name of Frank Olivo.

Huh??

Let me turn back the clock a ways. It wasn't but eight years previous that the Eagle organization won the 1960 NFL Championship, the only time a Vince Lombardi coached team did not win a playoff game. The Eagles did it on offense with a quarterback who years before set an NFL passing record for most yards in a game (554)--Norm Van Brocklin and did it on defense with one of the best linebackers in NFL history--Chuck Bednarik. After winning that championship and after the retirement of head coach Buck Shaw, the Eagle franchise slowly and methodically spiraled its way to the bottom of the league. By 1966 they were 5-9, improved a tad the next year to 6-7-1. And then in 1968 the roof fell in.

During this time a guy by the name of Jerry Wollman bought the Eagle franchise and the first thing he did was hire Joe Kuharich as head coach. Kuharich didn't exactly have a sterling NFL career at the time but was noted for one thing that made him sort of unique; he was at that time the only head coach in Notre Dame football history to finish with a losing record. And the Eagle fans were shocked when they saw the terms; the contract was for 15 years at $50,000 a year. According to an article I read by Larry Merchant (one of my favorite NFL scribes) Kuharich's comment after signing was "It's been years and years since the Eagles were at the top and I'm gonna get them back up there. I never made a mistake." Well, years and years aren't the same as a couple years as he was hired IIRC in 1963. And Kuharich started to go to work not so much for the Eagles, I but ON the Eagles.

Kuharich decided a different direction was needed at quarterback so future HOFer Sonny Jurgensen went to Washington for Norm Snead, an average qb at best who later was a backup with a couple other teams. He ran future HOF wide receiver Tommy McDonald off the squad, ditto tight end Pete Retzlaff, traded for Mike Ditka and then had him sitting on the bench half the time because he felt Ditka's best days were behind him, traded star running back Timmy Brown to Baltimore for kick returner and back Alvin Haymond. And there were several more players who were traded off the squad from what Merchant described at the time as "traded off for a thousand yards of ace bandages."

1968. When I think of 1968 a million thoughts run through my head. Well, by week 10 of the 1968 season Kuharich saw airplanes hovering over Franklin field during Eagles games saying "Joe Must Go." And that went for bumper stickers too that were seen around town. Kuharich's response was a classic one liner; "Casey Stengel says ya can't win them all but I say sometimes ya can't win one!" Eagle fans by that time were tired of his one liners, especially THIS one>>>"Trading quarterbacks is rare but not unusual", referring of course to the Jurgensen/Snead trade.

The Eagles lost their first ten games of the 1968 season but it was the eighth game that really tore it with Eagle fans. Their cross state rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers were having their own woe as they had won just ONE game at this point of the season. Kuharich's one liner before this game was "We're in the race to get O.J.! (O.J. Simpson in the 1969 draft.) OOPS! The game goes to the middle of the fourth quarter and the Steelers and the Eagles are tied at 3. Reports were at the midway point of the 4th quarter there was Kuharich telling Snead to go for a first down on fourth down on their own ten yard line. FAIL! The Steelers kicked a field goal and hung on for a 6-3 win. The next week Philly got clocked at home by the St. Louis Cardinals 45-17. Kuharich's response was "a couple dropped passes here, a couple bad calls there, bad field position-it all adds up." Heh, 45-17.

Soon afterwards a couple hundred Eagles fans went downtown, IIRC to the Civic Center, to stage a protest, brandishing the Eagles as a "civic disgrace." Around this time a guy by the name of Leonard Tose had met with Jerry Wollman about buying the Eagle franchise. And Tose was quoted as saying that his first official act as the Eagles owner would be to fire Joe Kuharich.

The final game of the season was Kuharch's final straw. Philly had won their 12th and 13th games and by this time the Buffalo Bills now had the inside track for drafting O.J. Simpson as their record was sitting at 1-12. Their final game was at home against the Minnesota Vikings. A big Christmas halftime show was planned but there was one problem; it was pretty much cancelled as a blizzard descended on Franklin Field and the Eagles decided to get a volunteer out of the stands to be Santa Claus and ride the sleigh around the field. The Eagles equipment manger knew a guy he thought would be happy to do it, a guy by the name of Frank Olivo. They gave him an Eagle equipment ball bag to be used as Santa's toy sack as he was already dressed up in a Santa suit. And when he came out on the field with the dogs pulling the sleigh the Eagle fans just let Olivo have it with both barrels as soon as the sleigh came out of the clubhouse, starting to circle the field with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of snowballs thrown by Eagle fans. That next day the news went national and from what I've read through different stories it landed on NBC News with Huntley and Brinkley.

According to those reports that the Eagles compensated Olivo by sending him a Christmas present-a pair of Eagles cufflinks and a tie tac. HO HO HO!!

From the standpoint of futile, of frustration, and of Eagle fans who had had all they could take, well as far as I'm concerned this game was MORE than memorable.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,770,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Been saving this story for a while with Christmas coming up next Wednesday.

If you are a longtime Philadelphia Eagle fan, and I mean a LONG TIME fan, December 15, 1968 has been etched in NFL folklore with those fans. The location was Franklin Field, the weather conditions were dismal (24 degree temperature, 20 mph wind), the reason for the fan anger was Joe Kuharich, and the recipient for that anger was a regular blue collar Eagle fan by the name of Frank Olivo.

Huh??
Poor Frank.

Philly Fans Booing Santa Feature - YouTube

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

562 posts, read 536,686 times
being young...pats vs giants in the superbowl...

Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,548,322 times
Great one, thanks for sharing, perfect for the season (not booing Santa though)

Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 AM

309 posts, read 597,094 times
I was in the Kingdome in Seattle in 1987 to watch the Los Angeles Raiders play the Seattle Seahawks for Monday Night Football. I got to watch Bo Jackson run for a 91 yard touchdown. It was amazing. I will never forget that run as long as I live.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,525,855 times
Well now it was yesterday, watching the Cards beat Seattle...man I wanna forget this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football