U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM

65 posts, read 196,024 times

Advertisements

the music city miracle in january of 2000 when tennessee beat buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

8,122 posts, read 17,382,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
The only time I got to see Joe Namath was when he was in his final season with the Jets in 1976. By then his knees were getting pretty creaky and he looked ancient at the young age of 33. His team wasn't having a good year either - coming in they were 1-4. The Patriots, on the other hand were on the upswing with Steve Grogan in his second year at QB. They put together their first winning season in a decade gong 11-3.

The game was played in a hurricane, raining sideways all afternoon. But Joe, to his credit, still threw for almost 200 yds. Clark Gaines was their big back in those days but he wasn't a factor that day. The Pats had really matured on defense. Anyway, it was a lopsided victory for New England: 41-7. It was their ground game that did it for them with 330 yds. rushing. They featured three backs in their prime: Sam Cunningham, Randy Johnson and Don Calhoun, and if you want, you can add Grogan to the list. He was a pretty agile runner in his youth. But hey - I did get to see Namath!
I was in attendance at Broadway Joe's last home game as a NY Jet that same year, we 'settled' on that game because my dad was unable to procure tickets for my team, the Giants. We sat in the cold rain in Shea Stadium to watch the Jets play host to the Cincinnati Bengals. I believe the score of that game was similar, about 42-3. Namath threw 4 ints before being mercifully lifted in favor of rookie Richard Todd. Next season, Namath was a Los Angeles Ram.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM

16,550 posts, read 21,054,113 times
While we are talking about the 1976 season, I thought I would chime in here. That season was pretty ugly for Jets fans, painful for Joe in his last season as a Jet (Denver whipped the Jets 46-3 in the '76 season). I was at that game and I tell you what, I felt bad for Joe. He had no movement, was under siege the whole game, but played the whole game and finally got pulled when Richard Todd came in for him. That year was also notable as that was the only season that Lou Holtz ever coached in the NFL as he was head coach of the Jets for that season (he resigned after the 13th game).

In 1967 I saw a healthier Joe Namath carve up a young Denver Bronco secondary by the score of 38 to 24. And he threw bullets. Hadl, Dawson, Lamonica, and other AFL quarterbacks had good arms, but Joe's throws were like laser shots.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-18-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM

5,774 posts, read 12,351,405 times
Well, while we await the details of Jo Willie's next adventure here's one that got considerable ink in its day. Giants - Redskins: DC Stadium, November 27, 1966. For me, it was a radio game - in my dad's car while we were going who knows where... And it's been quite a few years, so actual details are sketchy at best and thankfully there's Pro-Football Reference.com to help fill in the blanks.

Sonny Jurgensen vs Gary Wood. Y.A. Tittle had retired from the Giants and Fran Tarkenton was still a year or two away from being traded for. Wood wasn't having a very good year and neither were the Giants but for this game he was slicker than slick. A backup throughout most of his career he put it together on that day and ran for one touchdown and hit Joe Morrison and Homer Jones two long TD passes. Then he got pasted on some kind of a late hit. But no problem. Tom Kennedy stepped in and kept things going throwing a TD pass to Aaron Thomas and handing off to Dan Lewis for another TD . All in all the Giants would amass 41 points... But they were never really in it. The Redskins ran and ran all day. They intercepted 3 passes and picked up some fumbles along the way too. Jurgensen threw for only about 140 yds or so. Between Giant miscues and Washington's running game he had it pretty easy. They led 13-0 after the first quarter, 34-14 at the half and the Giants never got any closer and the Redskins really racked up the numbers. Final score: 72-41, Skins. It was the highest scoring game in NFL history. The two kickers in the game were brothers, Pete and Charlie Gogolak. Pete with the Giants - Charlie with the Skins.

And we're all waiting anxiously, HH, for that Joe Namath game...

Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM

After years of being the weakest club in pro football, one thing for the Denver Broncos had changed, and that was crowd attendance. They were close to selling out games. They were developing a rabid fan base-finally.

Week 2 of the Bronco season, the New York Jets came to town. It was only this past january that they pulled off pro football's hugest upset-ever. Tickets for that game had sold out weeks before, and the crowd saluted both teams in pre game introductions. Yes, both teams. The Jets got ovations when the offense was introduced, with Namath getting a huge standing ovation.

The Jets victory over the Colts in SB-III was talked about in the Denver area for weeks after the game. That game gave the AFL credibility. Joe Namath gave the league credibility.

Actually the game wasn't one of the biggest games in Bronco history (Denver did beat New York 21-19), and probably the most noted thing that come out of this game was that the longest punt ever kicked in pro football history occurred in this game (Steve O'Neal-98 yards). It was after the game what got my attention. Hundreds of fans waited till well after the game was over. They wanted to see Namath. They wanted to get his autograph. I never saw anything like that before. The fans crowded the Jets team bus for a long time.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 PM

In those days Namath was everywhere. TV, Playboy, Gillette commercials... you name it. He was a huge celebrity in 1969 and unfortunately one that could not repeat as a champion. Roone Arledge, head of ABC sports insisted that when the the first Monday Night game was played that it include the Jets because no one was more marketable than Joe.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,195,402 times
Tuck Rule Game! Loved the whole game from start to finish!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM

8,122 posts, read 17,382,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Tuck Rule Game! Loved the whole game from start to finish!
The Tuck rule game triggers a memory of a much earlier contest between these two games, back to the 1976 playoffs. I was still learning the various esoteric rules of the game then, as I was only 10 years old when I watched this game, but I am sure DOUBLE H and especially Square Peg know where I am going here. After the Tuck game, there were a couple of sports reporters that wondered (I believe Dick Shaunghnessy is one of them) if the tuck game wasn't pay back for the "Sugar Bear Hamilton" call. I remember the first round playoff game of 1976 between the Raiders and the Patriots, and as a Giants fan who really didn't have a stake in the game, feeling outraged that the Patriots were screwed out of what was a certain victory. Ben Dreith managed to make probably the most pivotal call by a referee that cost a team a game of this level (maybe more than Deckinger in the 1985 Series or Hue Hollins against the Knicks in 1993). After the play was over, from out of the TV screen, comes the yellow penalty flag. I am wondering to myself "WTF"? Then, Dreith announces the call for a 15 yard roughing the passer call. It wasn't even close to being a roughing the passer call: in fact, Hamilton partially grazed Stabler's hand while he was throwing the ball. Even with today's contact rules against defensive players that are called against QB contact, there is no way that was a foul. This play happened inside of 2 minutes of the final gun, with the Patriots leading the Raiders, 21-17. The call was on 3rd and 18. Had the call not been made, the Raiders are facing 4th and 18.

What was almost as frustrating for the Patriots, but much less publicized, was that prior to the Raiders winning drive, the Patriots were on the verge of salting away that game. It started with Sam Cunningham stepping out of bounds on 2nd and 5 at about the Raiders 28 yard line, just short of a first down. Cunningham could have dove forward with just a bit more effort, but inexplicably ran out of bounds just short of the sticks. And I mean, just short, by maybe the width of a credit card. So now, it's 3rd and an inch. As it turns out, on the following play, half the Patriots offensive line went offsides before Steve Grogan called the play. So now, on 3rd and 5, Grogan rolls right to pass to TE Russ Francis. The Raiders LB, Phil Vilippiano, mauled Francis while the ball was in the air. And, in this case, nothing was called for pass interference. On 4th and 5, coach Chuck Fairbanks asks his kicker to kick a 50 yard field goal instead of coffin corner punting. Of course, the FG is missed. The Raiders now only have 65+ yards to get the TD instead of the entire length of the field if they had punted. Instead, the Raiders get the benefit of the Hamilton call, and Ken Stabler eventually scored on a bootleg on 2nd and goal with about 15 seconds remaining.

The Raiders then went onto win Super Bowl XI. They were not the best team that year, the Patriots were. The Raiders only loss of the year was against the Patriots, 48-17. The Patriots deserved to be SB champions that year.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Good stuff Mike0421. Yes, I remember that game very well. Those calls were controversial to say the least. Remembering when Fairbanks went with that field goal try, I remember thinking if that's a miss, they're in trouble. Stabler was great in the two minute drill, and if you give him that opportunity, it's going to cost ya.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Very frustrating loss that was in 1976. At the time I worked in the loan department of a bank in Foxboro. We handled the payroll for the Pats taxi squad, which was pretty interesting in and of itself, because the players had to come in and sign 30 day notes (I'm still not sure why) to get paid. Chuck Fairbanks was also on the board of directors which meant he made quite a few office visits. Many of the players made their homes in and around the area too and they were regular customers. I also had a part time job at night working for the team selling season tickets over the phone. It was a blast! I got to discuss lots of football in the process. (and it was a very good year to discuss the Pats) I also got into all the home games for free and on good weather days I would have lunch at the 50 yard line while watching practices. It was a very good year. Heck - I even got married!

But that game... It was almost like there had been a death in the family when those guys came home. The Pats weren't the only ones over the years to lose a big game on a controversial call, but this was the only one for me from a personal aspect.

Jack Tatum's crippling hit on Darryl Stingley in a preseason game two years later wasn't forgotten either.

So the Tuck Game was payback in a way - against the right team and under the appropriate circumstances. I still grimace, though, when I see replays of that sack on Brady. But we'll take it! And as they say: What goes around comes around.

Last edited by square peg; 08-18-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football