Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 01:04 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times

Advertisements

In case anyone besides the fans here at the Big Cat's House cares, The HALL OF FAME GAME is tonight

I love this game, because it means that football season is right around the corner, barely a little more than a month away. With that comes Fall, this Cat's favorite time of the year.

SO tonite, we will see a game between the Edible Brownies vs the LaGuardia Jet live form Canton Ohio. Now if you are turning in hoping to see DeShaun Watson matchup against Aaron Rogers Well..... Don't.

They will not even be there. Both teams usually bring a busload full of 5th round college free agents who will be applying to work at Walmart tomorrow. Based on the usual caliber of play, some of these guys have never even played football before in their lives! For them, their career will begin and end in Canton, ALL in 3 hours.
As for Watson, well, he will watch from a massage place and Rogers will be home practicing for his new commercials for flight insurance.

This weekend, Former Cowboy Super Bowl MVP Chuck Howley finally gets into the Hall, along with 1 Brown and Two Jets Big Joe Klecko get in as a Senior member, so I though we should look at some highlights of Klecko's career right now.
(Roll the tape.............)

==================================================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGxf91jSxE

==================================================

SO, everyone Enjoy the game tonite if you watch it, for us, it is more tradition and eating and the reminder, as I said, that the regular season is just around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 06:58 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Chuck Howley should have went into Canton a few decades ago. Why?
6 time NFC pro bowler
5 time NFL All-Pro

And if that doesn't convince a football fan, I'll tell you what does--being named Super Bowl V MVP on a losing team, that's what the sportswriters thought of his performance. AND--according to my NFL fact book here's a stat for ya--Howley started all NFL games minus four from 1961 to 1972.

The things I remember of that super bowl game was--

Craig Morton's poor performance--12/26 for 127 yards with 3 picks
Duane Thomas fumbling at the half yard line
Cowboys having 10 penalties for 126 yards
Bob Lilly throwing his helmet 30 yards down the field after Jim O'Brien's field goal clinching the win for the Colts.

Howley didn't make any mistakes, you can count on that!

A wrong has been taken care of, finally. Howley is in Canton. Good for him!!

Old 08-03-2023, 08:36 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
Yep I am glad Howley is in and agree that he should have been in sooner. Much sooner. I still cannot figure out how Johnson and many of his players got in before Howley. He was in the Cowboys Ring of Honor long before Landry even.

Cliff Harris in his book Tales From the Dallas Cowboys said that Bob Lilly was the best pure football player he ever knew. I remember that incident where he threw his helmet after the Colts kicker clinched the win. I also noted that while Lilly was more of a presence perhaps, Howley was the more accurate and on task player during that time. I do not think that the Boys defense of that era could have functioned without the accurate play of Howley

He is not at the game tonight, is he going to be there this weekend for the enshrinement where they get their statues and coats?

Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 AM

As he is somewhere in his mid to upper 80's, I'm afraid he is in his mid stages of dementia. Obviously nothing was said by Mike Tirico and Chris Collinsworth regarding why he wasn't there.

I know that the selection committee takes a look at the linebacker position and also the era that he played and that he would be compared to Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke. Nitschke started his career in 1959, Butkus in 1965, and Howley in 1961. Nitschke is a 2 time 1st team all pro, Howley a 5 time. Nitschke was a pro bowler once, Howley 5 times. But Nitzschke got more print because of the Lombardi era. With Howley he was with a club that went through 5 losing seasons until they had a winning season. The Atlanta Falcons Tommy Nobis went through the same thing that Howley went through.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:48 AM

1,948 posts, read 906,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Chuck Howley should have went into Canton a few decades ago. Why?
6 time NFC pro bowler
5 time NFL All-Pro

And if that doesn't convince a football fan, I'll tell you what does--being named Super Bowl V MVP on a losing team, that's what the sportswriters thought of his performance. AND--according to my NFL fact book here's a stat for ya--Howley started all NFL games minus four from 1961 to 1972.

The things I remember of that super bowl game was--

Craig Morton's poor performance--12/26 for 127 yards with 3 picks
Duane Thomas fumbling at the half yard line
Cowboys having 10 penalties for 126 yards
Bob Lilly throwing his helmet 30 yards down the field after Jim O'Brien's field goal clinching the win for the Colts.

Howley didn't make any mistakes, you can count on that!

A wrong has been taken care of, finally. Howley is in Canton. Good for him!!
The problem is the HOF Senior committee has been terrible with their choices of semi and finalists over the last decade, maybe even longer. They are clearly ignoring the players who should be in and choosing less worthy candidates - Clif Branch, Stanley Morgan, Ken Riley, etc.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
The problem is the HOF Senior committee has been terrible with their choices of semi and finalists over the last decade, maybe even longer. They are clearly ignoring the players who should be in and choosing less worthy candidates - Clif Branch, Stanley Morgan, Ken Riley, etc.
They're trying. There are a buttload of guys who should've already been enshrined but weren't. They got three of the big ones fixed with Alex Karras, Jerry Kramer, and Chuck Howley.

Randy Gradishar is another glaring omission. He logged over 2,000 tackles, 19.5 sacks (only 4.5 "official"), 20 INTs (3 returned for TDs) and 13 fumble recoveries in only 10 seasons. He went to the pro bowl 7 times and was the Defensive Player of the Year once. He just played at the wrong time.

I've been banging the table for Bengals QB Ken Anderson for a long time, too. He put up big numbers with mostly crappy receivers and isn't in the hall simply because he, like Gradishar, didn't have much postseason success.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
They're trying. There are a buttload of guys who should've already been enshrined but weren't. They got three of the big ones fixed with Alex Karras, Jerry Kramer, and Chuck Howley.

Randy Gradishar is another glaring omission. He logged over 2,000 tackles, 19.5 sacks (only 4.5 "official"), 20 INTs (3 returned for TDs) and 13 fumble recoveries in only 10 seasons. He went to the pro bowl 7 times and was the Defensive Player of the Year once. He just played at the wrong time.

I've been banging the table for Bengals QB Ken Anderson for a long time, too. He put up big numbers with mostly crappy receivers and isn't in the hall simply because he, like Gradishar, didn't have much postseason success.
I agree about Gradishar. Larry Grantham should also have been in for a while now. Thank God Howley is finally in.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:47 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,901,467 times
So.. What's the general opinion on Mongo?

Seems to be a real push to get him in before he dies. Statistically.. he lines up with Warren Sapp pretty well..

This is one of those things where you ask.. Should he be in the HoF.. And.. I think, at worst, the answer is 'probably'.. But.. Generally, you'd say.. There's plenty of time, there's others ahead of him.. But.. Maybe it's time to have a little heart.. Because there's NOT plenty of time. Mongo likely won't make it to this time next year.. Give him the knowledge that he's going in before he leaves.

I dunno.. I think that yes.. He should get in. So, am I on an island with that?

Old 08-04-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Seems to be a real push to get him in before he dies. Statistically.. he lines up with Warren Sapp pretty well..

This is one of those things where you ask.. Should he be in the HoF.. And.. I think, at worst, the answer is 'probably'.. But.. Generally, you'd say.. There's plenty of time, there's others ahead of him.. But.. Maybe it's time to have a little heart.. Because there's NOT plenty of time. Mongo likely won't make it to this time next year.. Give him the knowledge that he's going in before he leaves.

I'm glad you mentioned Steve Mcmichaels. I have a close friend who lives in Albuquerque who lived in Chicago for 40 years and was/is a hard core fan. And was able to meet McMichaels on several fan club functions back in the 1980's. He thinks the world of him.

Again, it come down to stats-2 time pro bowler, 2 time first team all-pro,3 time second team all pro.

In my neighborhood we have a 33 year old guy who finally signed off due to ALS. It steamrolled him just like it has steamrolled McMichaels. This disease is every bit as brutal as Dementia and Alzheimers. Don, my neighbor told me, "you know what would put a smile on my face? Take 10% out of the total amount of money spent on opioid problems with China and Mexico and put it in to ALS research. Do something about this ALS ****!"

Old 08-05-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Hall of Very Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football