U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,472,000 times

Advertisements

I will re-post your prediction congratulating you if you are correct.
I will re-post ,also, if you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Do you have respect for anybody Speedy?
Not QB's who hold teams hostage or sexually assault women. NO I SURE DONT!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM

219 posts, read 220,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Not QB's who hold teams hostage or sexually assault women. NO I SURE DONT!
I don't remember charges being pressed... And those teams being held hostage weren't forced. They could have just said no... (see what I did there?)

The fact you're even commenting shows some form of respect. He's got some value, right? This thread has 100-something posts, and I bet it'll run through the season. If I started a David Carr thread right now, it would die in a day.

Love to watch him succeed or love to watch him fail, YOU WATCH! Get over all the off-the-field stuff. I'm sure you're perfect in your bubble of morals. It's unhealthy to hate.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-23-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,962,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Unfortunately, we kinda broke the bank on the last one. I think the best I could do this time around is a drive to Hudson and a chance to commiserate with the thousands of other Western Wisconnie Viking fans.

Had a bet here at work on the Vikes game in Lambeau (edit) Field last year with a tech from Johnson Controls who (edit) is a Packers fan. Loser had to buy a big package of skin-it stickers of the opposing team, winner got to place them all over the loser's vehicle and they had to keep them on for a week. It was too cold to put them on after that game so they've been wating for the first Pack v Vikes game week this year. So anyone in the Twin Cities that notices a Johnson Control van driving around town around October 24th, covered in Viking's decals...I did that!

You could always take a drive up here (weather permitting). At times, it feels like I'm way out of our country.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
I don't remember charges being pressed... And those teams being held hostage weren't forced. They could have just said no... (see what I did there?)

The fact you're even commenting shows some form of respect. He's got some value, right? This thread has 100-something posts, and I bet it'll run through the season. If I started a David Carr thread right now, it would die in a day.

Love to watch him succeed or love to watch him fail, YOU WATCH! Get over all the off-the-field stuff. I'm sure you're perfect in your bubble of morals. It's unhealthy to hate.
Who said anything about perfect bubble of morals? And just because I dont care for the guy doesnt make me any better or worse than him. I am expressing my opinion on how I feel, like it or not its my opinion.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
You could always take a drive up here (weather permitting). At times, it feels like I'm way out of our country.
That sounds like a nice drive, do I have to bring my own shovel?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
And just because I dont care for the guy doesnt make me any better or worse than him. I am expressing my opinion on how I feel, like it or not its my opinion.
I wasn't attacking your character. Read my post again. I'm just questioning why you don't have respect for a particular person working the system in a way that benefits him. He's earned it. If you could do it at your job - show up when you were ready, get more money, not have to do the grunt work, get all the recognition - you would.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
I wasn't attacking your character. Read my post again. I'm just questioning why you don't have respect for a particular person working the system in a way that benefits him. He's earned it. If you could do it at your job - show up when you were ready, get more money, not have to do the grunt work, get all the recognition - you would.

NO I wouldnt. If your shallow and self serving you would. ( not you specificlly just talking in general terms) Thats goes against everything I was raised to know. I was taught a leader leads from the front not the back. I would never have my staff do anything I wouldnt or havent done myself. When you make your self bigger than the team you deserve no respect.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
NO I wouldnt. If your shallow and self serving you would. ( not you specificlly just talking in general terms) Thats goes against everything I was raised to know. I was taught a leader leads from the front not the back. I would never have my staff do anything I wouldnt or havent done myself. When you make your self bigger than the team you deserve no respect.
From a morals perspective, I agree. Actually, in the case of most business models, I agree. I worked in a retail store in college and got up to a management position in the receiving/shipping department. I would never delegate responsibility to a co-worker if it were something I hadn't done before or couldn't do myself and I think I could get a lot of the guys much older than me to do stuff they might not want to do because of that. That's the way to manage a blue collar department in my opinion. I don't know if it works quite the same way in a white collar arena (please fill me in if you are in such a business).

But professional sports and the NFL specifically is different than your average business. A younger Brett Favre or even a player at a different position may deserve significant criticism for pulling stunts like this. And I'll grant you Favre doesn't exactly handle this in the best way (I'd just make it clear I'm not showing up till the 2nd or 3rd preseason game. Fine me, but I'm better than your plan B. See you August 18th.). But players in the league can be cut very easily and often have very little leverage against management. A guy like Favre is super-talented and proves year after year he's incredibly valuable. That's why I say he's earned it. He's earned the respect of the players and team management by his leadership on the field for 19 years. It's a different kind of respect. It isn't leading by example or beating his chest berating everyone. But it's effective in that he gets what he wants (to play in a system and location he's comfortable with, without having to do camp) and the team gets something they want (a great qb, a realistic chance to compete for a title, a compelling product customers and advertisers will pay top dollar for). It's hard to comprehend because most of us can't see ourselves in that position. It's like how everyone says they'd play the game for free. The Vikings (and all of us I'm sure) could do without the PR nightmare that is the annual Favre summer retirement, unretirement party. But you have to gamble once in a while and give a little to get a little (and possibly much more). The Vikings are obviously willing to deal with that.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 AM

909 posts, read 2,706,218 times
Rydizzle explains some of what I was trying too say.

Dear Brad Childress; When your quarterback has all of the records in the NFL, and is 40 years old, and has one year left on his contract with your team, but is also going through rehab on an ankle surgery and isn't going as fast as you would hope, what are you going to try and do?

Childress simply told the media over and over that he will respect Favre's decision, and would love for him too come back and play for the Vikings... (What team wouldn't want him too come back.) With Favre added too the team, the bars sky rocket on the Vikings chances of making the superbowl! What has he NOT done too earn respect from all NFL fans? He has had a foundation that helps challenged young kids, he has a wife that has numerous foundations for breast cancer awarness, (Which my mom is a victim.) He loves football, and is a great role model for kids, and he is one of the only quarterbacks left in football that like to have fun! Tony Romo, because Brett Favre was his role model and still is, do you see Tom Brady get a smile on his face when he throws a touchdown to Randy Moss? HELL NO! More like a spike the ball "Get the F*** Out of here!"

Peyton Manning? "Hey Jeff why didn't you block your man on that play that was terrible you know not too let the defender go through the A gap when were in a single back 4 wide stretch don't let it happen again!"

And Speedy show me the proof that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted the drunk college girl. Look it up on youtube when she is interviewed and she looks like a fool. Woman can be evil when it comes to guys they want, especially guys with money. There is no proof of Ben "Sexually Assaulting" any female ANY WHERE at ANY TIME despite the two cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football