U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM

909 posts, read 2,708,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Sorry, but how is Brett Favre changing your life to the point where you have to beg for him to disapear. Lets see what happens this year...Im sure this is it. Im not real sure he wanted to do this year, so this is probably his last...of course Ithought that in 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09, but NOT in 2010.

For some reason I loved this response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM

909 posts, read 2,708,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Favre could not handle the 49ers defense and that is why he left after 1 pass.

ba ba bah bah bull****!! It's pre-season and he didn't go to training camp! That's why Favre left after 4 snaps!!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM

2,374 posts, read 3,066,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
ba ba bah bah bull****!! It's pre-season and he didn't go to training camp! That's why Favre left after 4 snaps!!
but shouldn't he have?????, esp. in the wst coast offense, timing is everything.

shouldn't he have been with the team doctors and pys. therapists working on his ankle under their guidance instead of throwing to a bunch of high schoolers????

he won't have the season he had last year, they play PO teams in 6 of 7 games to start the season. If they don't get off good it might get very ugly up there.

the special treatment will come to a head, trust me, there are guys in that locker room who are angry. Just b/c the media always shows him in the best light, (remember the pants on the ground video, all the shots of him smiling and talking with teammates like he's so well loved) the sports media , and not just es*n, doesn't cover sports anymore , they propagandise it. why report the truth when it might offend somebody and turn them off and thus they'll turn their tv's off. it wouldn't be good for ratings and that's how it's gotten nowadays.

remember the Jets, lots of dirt came out on him after he left, this will happen up in Minny as well b/c he'll only have been there 2 years. the only reason you don't hear about it in GB is b/c nobody wants to say anything against a guy that was there 16 years. There was no reason not to in NY and there won't be in Minn.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM

219 posts, read 220,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
but shouldn't he have?????, esp. in the wst coast offense, timing is everything.

shouldn't he have been with the team doctors and pys. therapists working on his ankle under their guidance instead of throwing to a bunch of high schoolers????
He's Brett Favre and he's been doing his job for 20 years. He'll be fine.

Quote:
the special treatment will come to a head, trust me, there are guys in that locker room who are angry. Just b/c the media always shows him in the best light, (remember the pants on the ground video, all the shots of him smiling and talking with teammates like he's so well loved) the sports media , and not just es*n, doesn't cover sports anymore , they propagandise it. why report the truth when it might offend somebody and turn them off and thus they'll turn their tv's off. it wouldn't be good for ratings and that's how it's gotten nowadays.

remember the Jets, lots of dirt came out on him after he left, this will happen up in Minny as well b/c he'll only have been there 2 years. the only reason you don't hear about it in GB is b/c nobody wants to say anything against a guy that was there 16 years. There was no reason not to in NY and there won't be in Minn.
So what? People won't talk trash about anybody they really like in any walk of life. Get over it. And this isn't new. See Michael Jordan in the 90's. MOST OF THE MEDIA knew about the type of guy MJ was off the court, but didn't report it. Athletes who don't produce or who aren't entertaining get exposed. Those who build up equity over time with good play or a reputation of good off the field behavior get better treatment in times of controversy or other dirty situations. That's life.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post

So what? People won't talk trash about anybody they really like in any walk of life. Get over it. And this isn't new. See Michael Jordan in the 90's. MOST OF THE MEDIA knew about the type of guy MJ was off the court, but didn't report it. Athletes who don't produce or who aren't entertaining get exposed. Those who build up equity over time with good play or a reputation of good off the field behavior get better treatment in times of controversy or other dirty situations. That's life.

so you don't expect the media to report facts but propogandise and cover things up? You have very low standards.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
so you don't expect the media to report facts but propogandise and cover things up? You have very low standards.
Before you tell me what my standards are, let me answer your question...

I expect facts, but I don't think they have to report EVERYTHING just because it's there. The media has to use discretion once in a while over controversial scenarios. People are way too emotional and too easily swayed by anything seen on the news or read in the paper anyway. The court of public opinion is the worst because too many uninformed, uneducated people make useless noise and chase people down like an angry mob. If something or someone is good for the game and is endlessly entertaining, unless there's substantial proof that a real crime was committed (Pacman, Vick, etc) or a scandal happens and gets out of control to the point it has to be reported (Tiger, Kobe, Clemens, etc), they should let it go. Keep it on file for some biography later...

The sports media is different from other media like political media. For the most part, sports media recognizes they're reporting on a game, on entertainment on the field. Do I consider it a cover-up because relevant news sources don't hammer Brett Favre over something he (allegedly) did off the field? No, because it isn't pertinent to why he's famous in the first place - his play on the football field. Since in our society there has to be something in it for everyone involved (that's the way it is, get over it), what would the media get out of taking down Favre? Other than a few journalists who pour their emotion into it like fans and hate the guy, everyone else loses. It's not the media's job to cover stuff up, but it also isn't their job to blast everyone caught with their pants down (allegedly) every chance they get. They know Favre is important to the game, the same way MJ was to the NBA then and Tiger is to the PGA now. We could go back even further to Joe Namath and his wild off the field behaviors. Favre may be the worst person ever off the field... So what? If he's really that bad, he'll get his when it's time.

If you knew all of what goes on behind the scenes and off the field, you wouldn't watch or at least you'd understand why so much of it doesn't get reported. I expect to be entertained and I'm really only interested in stuff that contributes to or enhances the entertainment. Again, unless there's a crime, it's their business. And after that, get back on the field and entertain me.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,930,847 times
I think this is the year that Frvres streak ends. He will play well but fatazz McKinney is going to get him killed by Julius Peppers in one game. So who is the suitible backup? Sage or TJ?

I think Chillis ego keeps 'his project' which is TJ. But after 5 years he still isnt accurate, when the lightbulb flickers enough to pick the right receiver. Sage may not be as athletic, but he has had some success. I hate being a Viking fan at times.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM

21,441 posts, read 21,994,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think this is the year that Frvres streak ends. He will play well but fatazz McKinney is going to get him killed by Julius Peppers in one game. So who is the suitible backup? Sage or TJ?

I think Chillis ego keeps 'his project' which is TJ. But after 5 years he still isnt accurate, when the lightbulb flickers enough to pick the right receiver. Sage may not be as athletic, but he has had some success. I hate being a Viking fan at times.
Chilly's other QBs preseason stats....
(plyr - att - comp - pct - y/a - TD - rtg)
Sage - 51 - 31 - 61 - 7.9 - 4 - 111.7
Webb - 30 - 17 - 57 - 6.4 - 3 - 95.3
T Jack- 26 - 12 - 60 - 2.3 - 0 - 53.0

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
Before you tell me what my standards are, let me answer your question...

I expect facts, but I don't think they have to report EVERYTHING just because it's there. The media has to use discretion once in a while over controversial scenarios. People are way too emotional and too easily swayed by anything seen on the news or read in the paper anyway. The court of public opinion is the worst because too many uninformed, uneducated people make useless noise and chase people down like an angry mob. If something or someone is good for the game and is endlessly entertaining, unless there's substantial proof that a real crime was committed (Pacman, Vick, etc) or a scandal happens and gets out of control to the point it has to be reported (Tiger, Kobe, Clemens, etc), they should let it go. Keep it on file for some biography later...

The sports media is different from other media like political media. For the most part, sports media recognizes they're reporting on a game, on entertainment on the field. Do I consider it a cover-up because relevant news sources don't hammer Brett Favre over something he (allegedly) did off the field? No, because it isn't pertinent to why he's famous in the first place - his play on the football field. Since in our society there has to be something in it for everyone involved (that's the way it is, get over it), what would the media get out of taking down Favre? Other than a few journalists who pour their emotion into it like fans and hate the guy, everyone else loses. It's not the media's job to cover stuff up, but it also isn't their job to blast everyone caught with their pants down (allegedly) every chance they get. They know Favre is important to the game, the same way MJ was to the NBA then and Tiger is to the PGA now. We could go back even further to Joe Namath and his wild off the field behaviors. Favre may be the worst person ever off the field... So what? If he's really that bad, he'll get his when it's time.

If you knew all of what goes on behind the scenes and off the field, you wouldn't watch or at least you'd understand why so much of it doesn't get reported. I expect to be entertained and I'm really only interested in stuff that contributes to or enhances the entertainment. Again, unless there's a crime, it's their business. And after that, get back on the field and entertain me.

I expect facts ... but only certain ones apparently, and at certain times, and certain facts, only ones that fit your definition

People are way too emotional and too easily swayed by anything seen on the news or read in the paper anyway ... why don't they just report the facts and let us decide????

too many uninformed, uneducated people make useless noise and chase people ... I guess I got my answer

The sports media is different from other media like political media .... really, I thought the media was supposed to report on facts and let us decide, there is no difference.

what would the media get out of taking down Favre?.... alot of anger and exclusion from the league which is why they cover up and spin things for the league b/c there that chance that it would turn people off and they couldn't have a drop in ratings, it's all about money

It's not the media's job to cover stuff up.... I agree, but you contradict yourself from above, if they only report certain facts are they not covering up stuff up? leaving details out?

If he's really that bad, he'll get his when it's time.... is there precendence for this, why would the media change all of a sudden, and according to you it'd be o.k. for the media to do that b/c he's done "entertaining us", right?

If you knew all of what goes on behind the scenes and off the field, you wouldn't watch or at least you'd understand why so much of it doesn't get reported. .... which proves my point of why they cover stuff up, it's big business and the peons can't be bothered to be allowed to think and make decisions for themselves , I hope your NFL stock goes way up so your 401k can benefit from all those good ratings. I don't understand why people argue against their best interests so a company can make more money

Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 AM

Wow you're bitter about something... Favre, big business, the media... Not sure which one or all 3.

I expect facts, but I don't really care that much. I don't expect the media to tell me everything and I don't always expect what they DO tell me to be 100% accurate all the time. I don't take it that seriously. Really. I have better things to do with my life...

Fans (by definition) are fanatical. A lot of fans take their sports so serious it affects their mood, their night, the next day, etc. They're wildly emotional and can't make decisions on their own (when they're emotional). I'd spare them.

You know what, there is no difference. Most media outlets/members have an agenda, insert their own personalities and feelings, pay money for some stories, and are bribed into not running other stories. It happens ALL THE TIME and ALL OVER THE MEDIA. I'm already over it.

OF COURSE IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!! What isn't? The NFL makes billions. The major networks FOX, CBS, ESPN, make millions and millions off the NFL. All these players make millions. The owners make billions. DirecTV. The NFL Network with the RedZone channel is huge. You think they made that channel to be nice to the fans? That channel will make a ton of money. I'm already over that too. Good for them. I'm bummed I didn't make a career choice that took me in that direction to get a piece of that, but that's part of capitalism.

I wasn't referring to the media changing and all of a sudden ratting him out. I was just saying karma will catch up to him. Someone will write a "tell all" book, some random mistress will sell her story to TMZ, he'll screw up on his own, something like that. Sorry for not making that part clear...

Quote:
I don't understand why people argue against their best interests so a company can make more money
This is actually kinda funny in the context of the NFL and this discussion. Not only did you tell me in your previous post what my standards are, now you're telling me what's in my best interest. Awesome. If the NFL DOESN'T do well and folds, who wins? Not us... It's in my best interest for the NFL to thrive and do very well. It's fun to watch, it's interesting, and it's something for all of us to discuss. There shouldn't be bitterness about it.

And if you have such a problem with it, why do you watch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football