U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times

Advertisements

FWIW, Joe Theisman is saying that the coach should bench Favre in favor of another QB, for a variety of reasons.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,062,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
FWIW, Joe Theisman is saying that the coach should bench Favre in favor of another QB, for a variety of reasons.
Joe Thees-man is right. From ESPN:

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was not on the field during the early portion of practice Thursday, which was fully expected and doesn't have much bearing on whether he will start Sunday at the New England Patriots. Favre, who has two fractures in his left foot, has said the earliest he would try to practice is Friday.

This relative break in the news cycle gives us a chance to consider in further detail the darker part of this scenario. Will Favre's poor play this season factor in to coach Brad Childress' decision?

I've already suggested that the Vikings would have a hard time benching Favre outright after begging him to return and giving him a raise to at least $16 million in total compensation this season. But what about a benching masked by an injury? That might be a possibility, especially when you consider a unique and telling statistical analysis over at Brian Burke's Advanced NFL Stats.

Burke uses a metric called Win Probability Added (WPA). Essentially, it's a way to measure how a player's performance impacts his team's chances to win or lose. (Here is the complete explanation for those interested.)

We already know that Favre's 68.0 passer rating is the fourth worst among NFL quarterbacks. But the nuanced WPA paints a more dire picture. His WPA rating is by far the worst among 39 qualifiers. In fact, his standing in this metric is three times worse than the next-lowest rated quarterback.

One way of looking at this statistic is that no quarterback is hurting his team more than Favre -- not the Chicago Bears' Jay Cutler, not the Cincinnati Bengals' Carson Palmer not even Trent Edwards of Buffalo/Jacksonville. In fact, Favre is hurting his team three times as much as Cutler, who ranks one spot ahead of Favre in WPA.

Quoting Burke: "Everyone knows Favre isn't doing well, and we don't need fancy stats to tell us that. But when we actually quantify just how bad his play has been so far, it's eye-popping."

Indeed, anyone who has watched Favre commit 14 turnovers this season knows he hasn't been very good in 2010. But Burke's metric reflects the type of analysis NFL teams often make, detailing what the mistakes lead to and whether they are made up for in other situations. When your quarterback is not only struggling, but is hurting your team far more than any other quarterback in the league, would you at least consider a change?
================================================== =

most overrated QB to ever play the game, heck , the most overrated athlete in the history of US Sports.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 AM

52,066 posts, read 41,881,580 times
I'm hoping Favre is healthy enough to play against my Bears (and my Bears O-line comprised of Koala Bears)....it's pretty much our best chance of a W.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,476,211 times
There was a hint of more controversy yesterday on local TV sports.

The question was about whether Childress would start Favre to keep the string alive, then rest him.

Favre stated if he starts he isn't coming out.

Could get ugly ( or more ugly than it already is )

Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times
Badger, that's awesome info, THANKS for posting good OBJECTIVE info that goes far beyond mere fan observations. Plus 5 to you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
I'm a Vikings fan and I'm so sick of Favre. I'd rather bring back Jeff George or Gus Frerotte at this point. Favre is AWFUL, and yes, he's always been overrated. INTERCEPTIONS.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,872,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm hoping Favre is healthy enough to play against my Bears (and my Bears O-line comprised of Koala Bears)....it's pretty much our best chance of a W.
Koalas aren't bears, they're marsupials

Go Packers!

Favre shoulda retired years ago.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,531,365 times
Brad show some footBALLS and Start TJ, end the streak so BF can retire.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:50 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,062,721 times
so how many of you are falling for his 8 stitches to the chin but need to be helped up off the field and carted away in the fetal position (with eyes closed) but then he's remarkably fine for the presser without any effects?

this guy is a drama queen, he is literally faking/exagerating injuries for attention. He needs a psychologist.

Steve Nash got how many stiches to his eye and came back to score 20pts. Or see: any hockey player during the last 100 years.

tough guy? if he's so tough he shouldn't have needed to be helped off the field by 2 people and then theatrically carted off in the fetal position with his eyes shut the whole time.

He's pathological.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM

52,066 posts, read 41,881,580 times
I forget which announcer it was yesterday but after the INT giving NE the ball already within FG range....he starts talking about how the Vikings defense needs to step up or how they've gotten a pass while BF takes the heat.

Sigh. Yeah, thats some strong koolaid buddy....giving teams the ball in your own territory A LOT and then blaming the defense for short field scores. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football