U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,553,733 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifelong Jet fan, and I'll say this much about Favre: everyone else insisted that he was washed up, past his prime. But until the week he got hurt, he was out there moving that team as well as he did in any season with Green Bay. As long as he's able to play the game, I don't think anyone should bet against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:46 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,160,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Another article on this...

Favre's dirty pics: A lesson in shady journalism

So it's starting to look like this is valid.
Not a big deal, I mean even if he threw some advances, they would be intercepted.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,530,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Brett Favre is just one of those guys. If you are not a fan of Brett Favre, than I like to shout; What's wrong with you!!!!! Brett Favre on sundays no matter what team lol is just something you have to watch! I don't know if I could live my life without seeing Brett Favre play football on my TV.
Cant imagine getting excited on sundays with out my Farve Fix. WHen he does retire (my god, that day will suck) I hope he hangs it up as a Viking, obvously they respected what he had to offer.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM

52,042 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm a lifelong Jet fan, and I'll say this much about Favre: everyone else insisted that he was washed up, past his prime. But until the week he got hurt, he was out there moving that team as well as he did in any season with Green Bay. As long as he's able to play the game, I don't think anyone should bet against him.
I hugely admire BF's accomplishments and he is obviously one of the all-time greats. However....the guy is not the player he once was and even in that it's a huge thing to even be playing effectively at his age...I'm just challenging the rose colored glasses of many that still see the 28yo Favre running around.

Some Key Points:
1) The jets started off with a VERY soft schedule that year and won a number of games with their defense...then the schedule got harder and Favre wasn't hurt so badly that he couldn't play. He finished in the bottom half of passer ratings and while he had some strong games against good teams he had some games where it looked like they'd suited up the mascot in his uniform.

2) Football is a physical game. This is why you don't see a lot of 40yo guys playing it. The fact that he gets hurt or doesn't play as well as the season goes by is just basic NFL 101 and is part and parcel of having a guy that old playing. He get's props for playing at his age but it's not an excuse and due to this when you need him most (playoffs) he is a shadow of his former self.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Not a big deal, I mean even if he threw some advances, they would be intercepted.

+1 for you...too funny!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
.......So I guess college football live will be preempted again?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM

664 posts, read 1,755,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hugely admire BF's accomplishments and he is obviously one of the all-time greats. However....the guy is not the player he once was and even in that it's a huge thing to even be playing effectively at his age...I'm just challenging the rose colored glasses of many that still see the 28yo Favre running around.

Some Key Points:
1) The jets started off with a VERY soft schedule that year and won a number of games with their defense...then the schedule got harder and Favre wasn't hurt so badly that he couldn't play. He finished in the bottom half of passer ratings and while he had some strong games against good teams he had some games where it looked like they'd suited up the mascot in his uniform.

2) Football is a physical game. This is why you don't see a lot of 40yo guys playing it. The fact that he gets hurt or doesn't play as well as the season goes by is just basic NFL 101 and is part and parcel of having a guy that old playing. He get's props for playing at his age but it's not an excuse and due to this when you need him most (playoffs) he is a shadow of his former self.
How does one game away from last years SB means he isn't 27 anymore? We all know that but the Vikes were ONE game away from the superbowl and lost that on OT. I just don't know what your point is? He's not 27 anymore, but his playing ability is better than many QB that are 27 now. Like Tavaris Jackson who fits that 27 age catagory, oh yea that would be just great.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:15 PM

664 posts, read 1,755,375 times
So who do you think (QB wise) they are going to release? I sure hope they would get rid of TJ, but doesn't look like they will.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,530,007 times
Awsome, now I have the two Green Bay games and the Saints game to watch this season. AR is one year better, Farve is one year older with a bad ankle...Advantage Farve. Ankles are tough to heal. Usually takes about a year to heal. I sprained mine in April, and it is still swollen to an extent and still occassionally reminds me that its not done healing....Still, Im not Farve, and couldnt play one quarter of NFL football in any given year of my life. GO VIKES...I wanna hear that crazy horn 7 times a game.

http://www.vikingupdate.com/multimedia/horn.wav

Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,345,280 times
Well I'm a Saint who dat, but Farve is as class act and one tough son of a gun. I'll pull for him, ecept whin they play the Saints Sure would like a rematch to see who goes to the Superbowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football