U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,317 times

Advertisements

Places I know First Hand;

Washington D.C (my home).; Redskins, Redskins, Redskins....we like college basketball more than football here although there is moderate following of UVA/UMD/VTech football

Philly (former home, mom's family stomping grounds); same except subtract Redskins for Eagles and 3 DC area teams with Penn State

Charleston, SC. (dad's family stomping grounds); College football easily, Clemson and South Carolina with the edge going to the ***** according to my native dad.
My family down there still likes the Redskins though due to history. It being the only game in town before the Panthers showed up, they lived in DC for a little while too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, lots of UT, A&M, LSU, OU, OSU, Texas Tech alumni here...and many more! And even people who haven't been to those schools often become rabid fans of the college teams (which I found strange, but pleasant).
I hear that's the way it is in the south, Nebraska, Oregon and parts of Big Ten country (Michigan, Ohio, Penn.) Non-alum latch on to the state teams like any other fan would do to a pro team, I think it's cool.

I do it for Virginia where I am at, but have a feeling I am in a small minority.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbylion View Post
I've lived in Tampa since 1989 and since then the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reigned supreme. In fact, the buzz spreads all the way out to the Orlando region. The U of South Florida Bulls only had a football program for about 12 years, not enough time to develop a tradition. And the U of Central Florida Knights (Orlando) doesn't have that much tradition either.

Us Tampa Bay residents have had to invest all our time in the Bucs. Even though the Bucs have only seen 8-10 years of decent success, around here we kinda put former players (Doug Williams & local Shaun King) on a pedestal. The NFL truly is king here. Besides, even though the Bulls have had recent success, they still share stadiums with the Bucs.
What's the Buzz for the gators/noles in the Bay?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,251,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Louisville, Kentucky: College Football
Why: Even with 3 pro teams within a two hour drive from Louisville (Bengals, Titans, Colts), the University of Louisville vs University of Kentucky rivalry reigns supreme.
That's AWESOME. Even though I love both college and pro, there is really something special about College football.

It's almost here folks!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I hear that's the way it is in the south, Nebraska, Oregon and parts of Big Ten country (Michigan, Ohio, Penn.) Non-alum latch on to the state teams like any other fan would do to a pro team, I think it's cool.

I do it for Virginia where I am at, but have a feeling I am in a small minority.
I get this feeling that the trend of non-alums latching on to a state team is starting to happen as well in Missouri. It likely is due to the two professional teams in-state being near the bottom in performance and the college team coming out of being bad for nearly 20 years as a good to near great team. (got within one game of playing for the BCS title game in 2007) It likely has in part to do with being the most populated state with only one FBS program.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM

953 posts, read 779,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Live in Dallas...still hard to say if people freak out more about the Cowboys or their college football team.

Me...I'm a crazy Longhorn fan. Can't stand the grandstanding Cowboys. No sense of 'team.'

College football will always rule because there is more heart.

you'll no doubt be happy to hear that the prognosticators have predicted the Cowboy's record this year to be 12-4

that's 12 indictments...and 4 convictions

Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM

749 posts, read 2,104,554 times
I live a couple hours north of Tampa so the Bucs are pretty much who most pull for in the NFL around here. However being just an hour away from the Swamp the Gators overshadow the Bucs in fan interest for they rarely dissapoint, if they are not in the thick of it for a National Championship, they are at least gonna win an SEC Championship regularly.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:18 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,161,275 times
As far as Dallas/Ft. Worth goes, it's called the Jerry Jones empire for a reason, though the team was huge before he was around. I don't care for them at all, even though JJ says that 95% of the residents of my hometown 300 miles to the south pull for them.

As for San Antonio, the NFL and Cowboys get more attention, followed by college.

Obviously, in most major college towns in Texas without an NFL team in the area, the local university gets the bulk of the support.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,876,447 times
Here in West By God Virginia, we bleed Mountaineer Blood

obviously we don't have a Pro team, but we have alot of Steeler fans

Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Dude Steeler fans are EVERYWHERE, I'm not joking. I even saw em pop up in Cleveland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or