U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,344 times

Advertisements

.....and your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 AM

7,611 posts, read 9,467,758 times
Little/no interest in college football in much of New England; Boston College has some interest from alumni, but no one else cares...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Here is a real simplified overview of my opinion and what I have heard through media and other forums.

I'd generally say that any major city that has an NFL team, is dominated by that franchise in the football parlance.

-PROBABLE Exceptions to utter NFL Dominance
;

The Big Texas Cities (Dallas and Houston)

Atlanta (I remember a newspaper columnist ask online which is bigger Falcons in the Super Bowl or Dawgs in the SEC Champ game....a SURPRISING amount said the Dawgs)

Maybe Nashville (Titans sure, but can't count out them Vols)

Portland, Los Angeles cause of no NFL team

Jacksonsville; I just keep hearing from a lot of people online that the interest just isn't there relative to Gator fever for some reason.

-Some places that could be 50/50 or close to it include

Detroit (Big Blue mainly, Sparty too I guess)

Cleveland (Buckeyes, I go to school in the sticks not far from the city, the local news goes GAGA for OSU up there)

-Places I'm not sure about

How big is the Steelers lead in Pittsburgh with Pitt/Penn State/WVU?

How's Cincinatti hold up these days with the Bearcats being red hot.

Seattle; Yea they got the hawks but they're young and generally have stunk. While UW has been GREAT in the past.
Wrong for the Texas cities. The Dallas Cowboys easily dominate the Dallas market and ia easily more popular. College is liked. But Dallas is a pro sports city. Houston also is a pro city. Its not like atlanta. If you poll Houston like that atlanta poll, the Texans win.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,246,550 times
In Charlotte it's pro football. Aside from the Panthers, you got people from the NorthEast and Midwest that bring their teams with them. There are definitely college football fans here though. UNCC is fielding a team in a couple of years.

But outside of Charlotte, college football is more followed by a mile.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,246,550 times
I'm interested to hear about Memphis and Nashville if anyone familiar with either of these cities reads this. I'm also interested as to whether Knoxville is more interested in the Colts than the Titans.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-27-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM

904 posts, read 1,636,588 times
In Ohio, it's kind of spread out. First off, Ohio is a football state, so any football is liked. But, I'd say you'll find Ohio State fans in any city, however Columbus obviously being more college crazy since the University is there. In Columbus though, you'll find a mix of Browns and Bengals fans considering Columbus is pretty much equally in between both cities (though closer to Cincinnati distance-wise).

In both Cleveland and Cincinnati, I'm pretty certain their both dominated by their NFL team. Us fans in Northeast Ohio absolutely adore our Browns more than the Buckeyes, and I think I could say the same for Cincinnati, however in both cities you'll see people supporting the Buckeyes on Saturdays leading up to the NFL Sunday.

So basically, Ohio's 3 C's (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati) all support the Buckeyes with Columbus being the most crazed and Cleveland and Cincinnati supporting the Buckeyes yet giving the favorite to their pro teams.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM

523 posts, read 553,652 times
Here in southwest Virginia, just about everyone is nuts over Virginia Tech football. UVa football, which normally is sub-par, may be more competitive this year with a newer coach and more high profile players. Outside of that, there aren't any NFL teams in Virginia, so most people around here are either Redskins or Panthers fans. But, college football definitely rules this area.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM

452 posts, read 266,899 times
I'd have to say professional football. Although the IU/Purdue fanbase is present and fairly large, the Colts are definitely the prominent team.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM

5,426 posts, read 6,403,306 times
It's hard to tell.

I'd say both are popular but the Hurricanes have a bigger fan base than the Dolphins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or