Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 PM

100 posts, read 253,406 times

Advertisements

I am curious to see which level is more popular where you live. Also, explain - if it is logical - why one rules in that area. An area could be a city, metro, or state, if the state is united.

I'll start
Minnesota: Professional football (Minnesota Vikings beat Minnesota Gophers)
Why: Vikings have been a successful franchise with many high profile names, while the Gophers, the only major college football team in Minnesota, have been awful. Moving to the metrodome from campus in 1982 hurt the "college atmosphere" a lot for the gophers.It will take years to rebuild the tradition at the now TCF Bank Stadium. Unless the Vikings move, I think the Vikings - and professional football - will always rule king in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,184 times
Im from New Mexico and the NFL is the most popular sport of all sports there, but I dont care for it, I love college football.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Louisville, Kentucky: College Football
Why: Even with 3 pro teams within a two hour drive from Louisville (Bengals, Titans, Colts), the University of Louisville vs University of Kentucky rivalry reigns supreme.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 AM

61 posts, read 186,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Louisville, Kentucky: College Football
Why: Even with 3 pro teams within a two hour drive from Louisville (Bengals, Titans, Colts), the University of Louisville vs University of Kentucky rivalry reigns supreme.
Wow, dude. That is great to know. I've visited Louisville over 10 years ago but I never realized it's close proximity to THAT many major franchises. It did seem like a calm college town when I was last there. You guys are very fortune to be able to root for so many teams.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Live in Dallas...still hard to say if people freak out more about the Cowboys or their college football team.

Me...I'm a crazy Longhorn fan. Can't stand the grandstanding Cowboys. No sense of 'team.'

College football will always rule because there is more heart.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 AM

I've lived in Tampa since 1989 and since then the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reigned supreme. In fact, the buzz spreads all the way out to the Orlando region. The U of South Florida Bulls only had a football program for about 12 years, not enough time to develop a tradition. And the U of Central Florida Knights (Orlando) doesn't have that much tradition either.

Us Tampa Bay residents have had to invest all our time in the Bucs. Even though the Bucs have only seen 8-10 years of decent success, around here we kinda put former players (Doug Williams & local Shaun King) on a pedestal. The NFL truly is king here. Besides, even though the Bulls have had recent success, they still share stadiums with the Bucs.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Live in Dallas...still hard to say if people freak out more about the Cowboys or their college football team.

Me...I'm a crazy Longhorn fan. Can't stand the grandstanding Cowboys. No sense of 'team.'

College football will always rule because there is more heart.
Learn new things every day! I had no idea that Dallas has much love for college football. So, what about Baylor U.?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbylion View Post
Learn new things every day! I had no idea that Dallas has much love for college football. So, what about Baylor U.?
Yeah, lots of UT, A&M, LSU, OU, OSU, Texas Tech alumni here...and many more! And even people who haven't been to those schools often become rabid fans of the college teams (which I found strange, but pleasant).

Old 08-06-2010, 03:54 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,028,593 times
The Dallas Cowboys are the most popular around here. That's most likely due to geography since this city is only about a two hour drive from the DFW metroplex. I am a Cowboys fan but my true love is college football (Texas Tech is my favorite-also an alumnus). With that being said, there are a lot of rabid college football fans here as well. The most popular college teams here are Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and the University of Texas.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,524 times
Here is a real simplified overview of my opinion and what I have heard through media and other forums.

I'd generally say that any major city that has an NFL team, is dominated by that franchise in the football parlance.

-PROBABLE Exceptions to utter NFL Dominance
;

The Big Texas Cities (Dallas and Houston)

Atlanta (I remember a newspaper columnist ask online which is bigger Falcons in the Super Bowl or Dawgs in the SEC Champ game....a SURPRISING amount said the Dawgs)

Maybe Nashville (Titans sure, but can't count out them Vols)

Portland, Los Angeles cause of no NFL team

Jacksonsville; I just keep hearing from a lot of people online that the interest just isn't there relative to Gator fever for some reason.

-Some places that could be 50/50 or close to it include

Detroit (Big Blue mainly, Sparty too I guess)

Cleveland (Buckeyes, I go to school in the sticks not far from the city, the local news goes GAGA for OSU up there)

-Places I'm not sure about

How big is the Steelers lead in Pittsburgh with Pitt/Penn State/WVU?

How's Cincinatti hold up these days with the Bearcats being red hot.

Seattle; Yea they got the hawks but they're young and generally have stunk. While UW has been GREAT in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football