U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The rest of the world is not structered like the NFL. You understand that, right? I am employed "at will." Most people are. Do you understand "at will" employment?(see, I can go condescending too) Different structures to the labor markets, and very different structers to the demand for labor.
All industries are structured different labor and otherwise. However, when it comes to contracts, it is all the same. Two or more parties enter into an agreement, sign the agreement and complete their end of the deal.

If they dont, they get CONSEQUENCES.

My problem with what happens in the NFL is that these players holdout and do not face any consequences. It isnt right and it is greedy.

When a mean signs his name, he honors his part of the deal. He is giving his word that he will do so. It doesnt matter what kind of contract it is.

edit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
So, it is a fair comparison when you say an athlete should ask for less money; but not fair for you? Double standard much?

Maybe I wasnt clear.

I was simply making the point that it has become the norm for NFL players to holdout for higher wages due to good performances however, they do not seem to be willing to ask for lower wages when their performance is lower than expected.

I never made the comparison of the athletes to myself, you did. So, I was creating any double standards.

I have never held out for higher wages so the comparison is not relevant to me.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-12-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,115,137 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My problem with what happens in the NFL is that these players holdout and do not face any consequences. It isnt right and it is greedy.
So what? The NFL is not mayberry, and we don't live in candy land. 95% of the people on this forum would do the exact same thing Revis is doing right now. That is the labor market he is in that allows it.

*sigh*

edit

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-12-2010 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The NFL is not mayberry, and we don't live in candy land.

It's a sad thing that anyone thinks you have to live in "Candyland" or "Mayberry" to honor your word.

All I am saying is that if you sign your name to a contract, you should honor it. It says something about your character that you think it is okay for someone to do otherwise.

Revis could have signed a shorter deal to begin, performed well, and then gotten his money when his contract was up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
 
16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
Reputation: 47991
I realize this topic is touchy and liable to get touchier, but let's tone down the rhetoric here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,856,625 times
Reputation: 1825
Ask Todd Bell and Al Harris how their holdout worked out for them. Then go ask Buddy Ryan how it worked out. One of them got a ring, the other two didn't. LOL.

This guy in no way deserves to be paid that much money, not even close. Heck he might not even have a freakin job next next year. Wait, he's not a free agent? WTH?

When teams sign rookies, they gamble, sometimes the team wins (Jets), sometimes the player wins (Jamarcus Russell). Revis signed the contract, heck they even signed him for an extra year and gave him more guaranteed money (IIRC).

Heres the other side of some of your guys logic. If Sam Bradford doesn't perform as the team anticipates they shouldn't pay him his guaranteed $$$? I don't think so, Revis needs to own up to his contract or sit his ass down, no one outside of joisey gives a crap.

FWIW, the jets are going struggle this year, not on defense though. Without Revis they are still just fine.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-12-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 8,060,868 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm well aware of that. I have worked in professional sports before and know the business well.

However, you probably know that business is founded on contracts and people obeying the contracts they signed. If everyone just backed out of their contracts whenever they felt like it, business would never get done.

The man signed his name to a dotted line. When you do that, you honor your word. He has the right to walk away from the team after he honors his contract and get more money elsewhere.



You obviously are not aware that players have guarantees in their contracts. Meaning they get a certain amount of money whether they are injured or not. So, if so and so signs a contract for 30 million and 15 is guaranteed, he gets the 15 million even if he never plays a single down of football because of a career ending injury.

Also, it is in the contract that a team can sever ties with the player at anytime for certain reasons. What is not in the contract is a player being able to holdout because he feels he needs more money.

Players are so quick to holdout for more money when the play well but when was the last time you saw a player ask for a pay decrease when he isnt playing up to his worth?
I'm totally aware about the legality of contracts and even in business people will attempt to re-negotiate contracts if business conditions change. People will even fail to honor contracts if business conditions change. I have a friend that works for a one of the biggest banks in the country in their commercial mortgage deppartment. One of their mortgage holders had a multimillion dollar property that had declined in value due to the economic crises. The mortgage holder attempted to sell and re-negotiate the note. When that failed he literally set up a meeting with the bank put the keys to the buidling down on the table and walked out. Businesses default on contracts all the time because the contracts don't serve their financial interests'. That's why lawyers make so much damn money!

And yes I'm also aware that many sports contracts contain so-called guaranteed money. However, most NFL contracts are literally a series of one year contracts. Some of the money is "guaranteed" and other money in the way of roster bonuses, yearly salary etc. are not. If a team doesn't feel that a player is performing up to his contract often a player is asked to re-negotiate his contract (Which completely refutes your arguement about teams unconditionally honoring contracts). If he refuses then in many cases he's released. It's one of the reasons that NFL contracts are structured with large bonus payouts in the initial years of a contract.

The bottom line it's Reavis's choice to play or not. If he refuses then I'd expect the Jets to do whatever is mandated in his contrract as it pertains to his refusal to play. He knows this and the Jets know this. At some point I'd expect that both parties will sit down and negotiate a new deal. After all it's in the mutual interest of both parties.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 08-12-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top