U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
 
3,087 posts, read 5,844,015 times
Reputation: 1590

Advertisements

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ian&id=5450529

Does he feel with the whole hype with Super Bowl makes his stance stronger? Like Revis would want to play just so he want miss out on the chance to get a ring.

Is this his thinking? because not paying Revis seems completely foolish to me.

Last edited by FreshFresh; 08-09-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Of course he has the upper hand, he can not give Revis the money and Revis just sit on his ass and not play.

If Revis was truly a team player, his ass would be at practice with his teammates. But he isnt so he deserves to stay at home and not play football until he sucks it up and comes to practice and honor his current contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Reputation: 10490
Don't forget that ESPN thrives on creating "controversies" where such things may not actually exist. The "E" in ESPN stands for "entertainment." And that's exactly what they think they're providing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 8,055,459 times
Reputation: 3119
Default Pro Football Is A Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Of course he has the upper hand, he can not give Revis the money and Revis just sit on his ass and not play.

If Revis was truly a team player, his ass would be at practice with his teammates. But he isnt so he deserves to stay at home and not play football until he sucks it up and comes to practice and honor his current contract.
I'm sorry, but once you leave high school football is a business not a sport. The owners are in business to make as much money as possible and so are the players. Reavis wants to be compensated in line with the best cornerbacks in the game. Based on his performance the past 2 years he certainly merits at least some consideration for an increase in pay. The Jets obviously see Reavis's current contract as great deal for them. They get Pro Bowl performance at at a rate significantly below market value for that performance. From a business standpoint it's great for them. But for Reavis it's no longer an equitable deal.

Also for all this talk about a guy being a "team player". The minute a player is serious injured or reaches the age he can't perform watch how fast his team will show him the door. You don't see many team "suck it up" and pay out a players contract once his performance starts to decline. Pro football probably more than any other sport is a pay for performance business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
61 posts, read 163,023 times
Reputation: 27
Revis agreed on a deal and he should honor his contractual agreement. He should shut up, report to camp, and play! Has he forgotten how fortunate and blessed he his to be playing at the NFL level? Stop worrying about market value and what "other" CBs are getting. There are far too many variables for him to compare himself with corners that play in other divisions, against different schedules, play on different turf, and face different offensive schemes. Revis' base salary is at least 12 times the average salary of an average American family. More than even the physicians that can save nurse himself (or a family member) back to good health. To Revis....play out your contract, perform, and shut up. You're a pro athlete for one of the world's largest markets for goodness sakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I'm sorry, but once you leave high school football is a business not a sport. The owners are in business to make as much money as possible and so are the players. Reavis wants to be compensated in line with the best cornerbacks in the game. Based on his performance the past 2 years he certainly merits at least some consideration for an increase in pay. The Jets obviously see Reavis's current contract as great deal for them. They get Pro Bowl performance at at a rate significantly below market value for that performance. From a business standpoint it's great for them. But for Reavis it's no longer an equitable deal.
I'm well aware of that. I have worked in professional sports before and know the business well.

However, you probably know that business is founded on contracts and people obeying the contracts they signed. If everyone just backed out of their contracts whenever they felt like it, business would never get done.

The man signed his name to a dotted line. When you do that, you honor your word. He has the right to walk away from the team after he honors his contract and get more money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Also for all this talk about a guy being a "team player". The minute a player is serious injured or reaches the age he can't perform watch how fast his team will show him the door. You don't see many team "suck it up" and pay out a players contract once his performance starts to decline. Pro football probably more than any other sport is a pay for performance business.
You obviously are not aware that players have guarantees in their contracts. Meaning they get a certain amount of money whether they are injured or not. So, if so and so signs a contract for 30 million and 15 is guaranteed, he gets the 15 million even if he never plays a single down of football because of a career ending injury.

Also, it is in the contract that a team can sever ties with the player at anytime for certain reasons. What is not in the contract is a player being able to holdout because he feels he needs more money.

Players are so quick to holdout for more money when the play well but when was the last time you saw a player ask for a pay decrease when he isnt playing up to his worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 6,082,265 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Players are so quick to holdout for more money when the play well but when was the last time you saw a player ask for a pay decrease when he isnt playing up to his worth?
The BIGGEST problem in the NFL when it comes to contracts is this type of player mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

However, you probably know that business is founded on contracts and people obeying the contracts they signed. If everyone just backed out of their contracts whenever they felt like it, business would never get done.
Two completly different labor markets. This argument "holds no water."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Players are so quick to holdout for more money when the play well but when was the last time you saw a player ask for a pay decrease when he isnt playing up to his worth?
When is the last time YOU asked for a pay decrease when you had an off year?

Seems you answered that question in a thread that already exists on this subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I havent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Two completly different labor markets. This argument "holds no water."

What are you talking about? A contract is a contract is a contract.

Two or more parties enter into an agree and sign their names. The market is irrelevant.

As my grandmother told me, "A man is only as good as his word." When you sign your name to a contract, you honor your end of the deal. It's that simple.

Do you understand that if this became the norm in this world for people to just back out of contracts and not show up without consequences that this world would fall apart? It would literally tear this entire world to shreds. No one would have a job, no business would get conducted, no one would have food on their table, or anything else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
When is the last time YOU asked for a pay decrease when you had an off year?

Seems you answered that question in a thread that already exists on this subject:
This is an argument that holds no water because I am not the one not coming to work because I want more money so this isnt a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

Do you understand that if this became the norm in this world for people to just back out of contracts and not show up without consequences that this world would fall apart? It would literally tear this entire world to shreds. No one would have a job, no business would get conducted, no one would have food on their table, or anything else.
The rest of the world is not structered like the NFL. You understand that, right? I am employed "at will." Most people are. Do you understand "at will" employment?(see, I can go condescending too) Different structures to the labor markets, and very different structers to the demand for labor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
This is an argument that holds no water because I am not the one not coming to work because I want more money so this isnt a fair comparison.
So, it is a fair comparison when you say an athlete should ask for less money; but not fair for you? Double standard much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top