U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,859,444 times
Reputation: 1825

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
He's white! The NFL is about 70% black having a marketable white guy is a definite plus.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
 
909 posts, read 2,707,413 times
Reputation: 246
Because everybody loves Tim Tebow, he is a role model for the kids and doesn't get in trouble, and wins a hell a lot of games and championships, and so is Brett Favre, same concept, although its been a decade and a half sense he won a championship.

Plus, I don't think it is because of race and I personally think that is the dumbest post I have seen on City-data football threads. There was one that came close when somebody predicted a browns superbowl ring in 2008, but the race thing just beats it.

to the great Stevie Mcnair, R.I.P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 220,859 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
He's white! The NFL is about 70% black having a marketable white guy is a definite plus.
I disagree with this being a reason why he's marketable... 70% of the league is black, but 28 of 32 (87.5%) starting quarterbacks last year were white. It's generally a white position and quarterback is the most prominent position in the sport, so they get the most attention. Neither the NFL or ESPN has to hype a quarterback just because he's white.

If he were a white running back or a wide receiver with talents like the average player at that position, then I could buy that argument.

I agree with the other points, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
 
909 posts, read 2,707,413 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
I disagree with this being a reason why he's marketable... 70% of the league is black, but 28 of 32 (87.5%) starting quarterbacks last year were white. It's generally a white position and quarterback is the most prominent position in the sport, so they get the most attention. Neither the NFL or ESPN has to hype a quarterback just because he's white.

If he were a white running back or a wide receiver with talents like the average player at that position, then I could buy that argument.

I agree with the other points, though...


WES WELKER! BRANDON STOKELY! ANTHONY GONZALLAS! CHRIS COOLEY! JUSTIN FARGAS! MATT JONES! HEATH MILLER! DALLAS CLARK! KEVIN CURTIS! JASON WITTEN! CORTLAND FINNEGAN! THE NEW GUY SHIPLEY ON THE BENGALS! ANDRE JOHNSON!!!! oh wait, Andre Johnson is black.

Just some beasty white boys in the NFL except that very last one, just wanted to add in some humor.

But your right about the white boys, the only ones that are truly beasts are Quarterbacks, such as P. Manning, Roethlisberger, Tebow, Brady, Cutler, Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre, Palmer, Flacco, E. Manning, Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre, Sanchez, Schaub, yeah, not a black starting quarterback has a chance other than McNabb, which whom is most definantly in the top 5 at the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
3,391 posts, read 4,250,231 times
Reputation: 2025
I'd rather hear about Tebow than Favre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Morgantown, WV
1,000 posts, read 1,600,757 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That just makes no sense at all.
Nothing makes sense with me, I'm a Pats, and Yankees fan at the same time. (I was never a Giants fan, been a Pats fan since I guess 7 or 8 years old. At first out of rebellion, then I realized they were good.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM
 
10,691 posts, read 11,712,064 times
Reputation: 6044
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Maybe it's because people are tired of 'heroes' who make 8 million a year and get 20 different women pregnant, or they are arrested for the 5th and still make more money in 6 weeks than they will in a lifetime. Or they are offered millions and hold out because they want more. Or they treat women like chattel, or they kill and abuse dogs. Or they make more money in college than I do on Social Security. Maybe because he will stand there for 2 hours and sign autographs, when other 'heroes' wald past kids like they don't see them. Maybe it's because he does Missionary work, and isn't afraid to talk about his faith. Might be because he accepts being a role model to kids. Maybe because he states he is a virgin and plans to wait and save himself until his marraige night. Might be because he is a Christian, and proud of it.
DON'T IT JUST MAKE YA MAD????


I want to frame this post!! Great job!!

We want to prop up scumbags and tear down honorable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 220,859 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
DON'T IT JUST MAKE YA MAD????


I want to frame this post!! Great job!!

We want to prop up scumbags and tear down honorable people.
And here's where the disconnect lies with fans like you and fans like me:

We prop up great athletes that happen to be scumbags. Nobody thinks what these fools like (insert whatever poor behaved athlete you like) is worth looking up to. I think we can all agree on that. But the problem is, the greatest athletes tend to have bad behavior. If we banned all the athletes with criminal records or other immoral behaviors, sports would suck. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I personally don't care what these guys do off the field. I just care what you do ON the field. I care to be entertained. I get over all the ancillary stuff. They aren't my role models (and they shouldn't be yours either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 PM
 
Location: bold new city of the south
5,400 posts, read 4,336,176 times
Reputation: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
And here's where the disconnect lies with fans like you and fans like me:

We prop up great athletes that happen to be scumbags. Nobody thinks what these fools like (insert whatever poor behaved athlete you like) is worth looking up to. I think we can all agree on that. But the problem is, the greatest athletes tend to have bad behavior. If we banned all the athletes with criminal records or other immoral behaviors, sports would suck. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I personally don't care what these guys do off the field. I just care what you do ON the field. I care to be entertained. I get over all the ancillary stuff. They aren't my role models (and they shouldn't be yours either).
It comes down to the old question:

Does the ends justify the means?

or

Does the means justify the ends.

I'm a means kind of guy. But then, I'm a youth coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 8,067,612 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Please explain.
Simple there are many fans the may have an issue being a fan of a particular player strickly based on race. Let's not act like this still isn't an issue in the 21st. century. There is a sizable number of the population that find a white, self professed Christian athlete very appealing. Tim Tebow is very marketable to that demographic, a guy like Chad Johnson maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top