U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM

16,526 posts, read 20,972,483 times

Advertisements

I'm good with marmac's comments, and Acuda's. A general thread on high school is fine by me in the football forum, but there will only be one thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM

8,746 posts, read 7,739,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Some big games and a few upsets so far in Texas this weekend:

Abilene Cooper upset Austin Westlake (5a runner-up)

Kerrville Tivy (4a led by an Oregon QB commit) upset San Antonio Madison (a strong 5a team who played on ESPN last weekend)

Converse Judson whips Leander

The Woodlands beat FB Hightower in OT

Pflugerville Hendrickson's star back Kenny Williams, a Texas Tech commit, ran all over Lake Travis (a National Top 10 team)- 268 yards...but still lost. tech fans should be happy.

Other interstate match-ups:

Permian beats Bellevue (WA) in an interstate matchup

Union (OK) beats Evangel Christian (LA)

Camden County (GA) beats Miami Northwestern (former team of Jacory Harris at Miami)

Abilene plays Franklinton (LA) today

Euless Trinity plays Shiloh (AR)

Dallas Skyline plays St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) on Monday
Oh yeah, Go Coogs!!!! My beloved Abilene Cooper Cougars upset a very good football team last night. Frankly, I didn't expect that one...lol. I'll never forget many years back when Austin Westlake knocked Cooper out of the playoffs. Guess who the QB was on that Westlake team? Mr. Drew Brees, oh yeah, the same one of New Orleans fame. That dude had a rocket arm back then and still does. As a Texas Tech alumnus and fan I'm also very happy to hear that Kenny Williams has committed to Tech.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Oh yeah, Go Coogs!!!! My beloved Abilene Cooper Cougars upset a very good football team last night. Frankly, I didn't expect that one...lol. I'll never forget many years back when Austin Westlake knocked Cooper out of the playoffs. Guess who the QB was on that Westlake team? Mr. Drew Brees, oh yeah, the same one of New Orleans fame. That dude had a rocket arm back then and still does. As a Texas Tech alumnus and fan I'm also very happy to hear that Kenny Williams has committed to Tech.
I was surprised by Cooper's win as well. Props to them. I'm not a fan of Westlake and I'm happy to see them go down. I bet you're happy TT.

If you didn't catch highlights, here they are:

Videos: Cooper High v. Austin Westlake - Abilene, TX | Abilene Reporter News

Davon Riddick had a huge night. I had a feeling he would have a great season. Here's hoping Pflugerville's Storm Woods has an equally good night running the ball against Westlake in a few weeks.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Abilene was down in the first half, but they let Ronnell Sims, QB, loose in the second half and ended up winning 35-20 vs. Franklinton (AR). The Warbirds/Eagles looked a bit tired, but they beteer get their act together as Plan (FL) comes calling next.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 PM

My Pflugerville Panthers take on the San Antonio Reagan Rattlers next Friday at Pflugerville. This is a huge match-up in Central Texas. We beat Reagan last year in the playoffs 10-7. However, we have our star running back, Storm Woods, an Oregon State commit, back to play this season after injury. We run an old school Wing-T offense and run a lot. Pville has always been respected and has even been to State, but we are a small 5a school (2100 students). This year, we have the experience to go deep in the playoffs and have our sights on State. Here's a great play from that State run, when we took the lead against Katy (TX superpower) in that game back in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Gzd...eature=related

We beat Abilene that year at Cowboys Stadium in front of 35,000+ people to get to State. Yeah, there was about 40,000+ people at State. It was loud when we scored. The city of Pflugerville shut down to go to State with "Went to State" written everywhere. Man, that was exciting. Our offense is better than that year, but our defense is not. That year, we had Alex Okafor, a DE at UT, and Xavier Gooden, the kid who scored went on to A&M.

Last edited by Acuda; 09-04-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Abilene was down in the first half, but they let Ronnell Sims, QB, loose in the second half and ended up winning 35-20 vs. Franklinton (AR). The Warbirds/Eagles looked a bit tired, but they beteer get their act together as Plan (FL) comes calling next.
Yeah, I'm glad Abilene High won that one, but like you said they'd better not be getting tired like that...lol. I have a feeling that coach Warren will have them ready for the next game.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM

So it looks like Florida has taken it to Texas this year so far in two huge match-ups. Last week, St. Thomas Aquinas killed Dallas Skyline 31-3. Last night, little old Cocoa beat one of our returning 5a state champions, Abilene, 24-21. However, Abilene was without Hershel Sims, one of the best backs in Texas and Abilene runs about 80% of the time.

Abilene plays Plant (FL) in a game which will feature two of the top running backs in the nation, Hershel Sims (Okie State) and James Wilder, Jr. (FSU). Should be an interesting one to watch. I think it is on TV

Another game last night featured the two 4a champions from last year, Lake Travis (48 game win streak and ranked in the top of most nation polls) vs. Aledo. Well, Lake Triavis finally fell and Aledo is the new king of 4a with a 14-10 win.

Other big games in Texas: Abilene Cooper rolls over San Angelo Central 55-21 (TT, your alma mater keeps on rolling)
SA Madison beats the Unicorns of New Braunfels 28-20
Allen beats Longview 24-20
A&M Consolidated beats Westlake 26-21
Tivy beats Cibolo Steele 54-45

and the Pflugerville Panthers defeats San Antonio power Reagan 44-35. Storm Woods runs for over 170 yards..

Today, DeSoto plays Florida power Miramar. Let's see if Texas can alvage a win vs. Florida.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,190,717 times
Well, my old team (Borah High) won their first game against Boise High which means they have one more win than they did last year.

Way to go Borah, we won the Bottom of the Barrel bowl! We're not the worst team in the state this year!!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 2,904,004 times
Ah, the Bottom of the Barrel Bowl. Those are always some interesting games. I've seen Connecticut's version more times than I've really wanted to.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Other big games in Texas: Abilene Cooper rolls over San Angelo Central 55-21 (TT, your alma mater keeps on rolling)
Oh yeah, Go Coogs!! They're looking good so far and I hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football