U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,336 times

Advertisements

Whose moving up or down your boards? I got two drafts coming up at the end of this month, and I usually just go with the experts. Anyone out there have some mid round picks you covet that will give your team a lot of value? I plan on doing a ton of research in the upcoming week and I'll post anything here I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:15 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Whose moving up or down your boards? I got two drafts coming up at the end of this month, and I usually just go with the experts. Anyone out there have some mid round picks you covet that will give your team a lot of value? I plan on doing a ton of research in the upcoming week and I'll post anything here I can find.
I really hope I don't get the #1 pick. I'm getting a bad vibe about Chris Johnson. Plus the year I picked LT number one, his slow start killed my season before it began.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
I have the top pick in my draft, but it is a keeper league, so it is not as though I will be picking through the Mannings and Bradys of the NFL.

I am really hoping to snatch Josh Cribbs. I don't think he is first pick worthy though, even in a keeper league.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,881,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Rashad Mendenhall is a good 3rd round pick at running back. Think about it. Ben rapistburger is gone for a bit and they will be running the ball. There is a fight in the steelers camp right now to see who is the number 1 running back. Yeah he is coming off an injury but what running back isnt :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I really hope I don't get the #1 pick. I'm getting a bad vibe about Chris Johnson. Plus the year I picked LT number one, his slow start killed my season before it began.
Chris Johnson looked good in pre season. He may not be the number 1 this year but he will be top 5. Picking CJ if you have the first pick is not a bad pick. Adrian Peterson is not a bad choice nor is ray rice or Maurice Jones Drew.

Anyways I had one of my drafts last night. I wound up with 15th pick out of 16 people. Man was i pissed. By the time i got to pick everyone was gone that i wanted.

I think jahvid best will be a good rookie RB this year. Id look for him in the 2nd round or 3rd if you think know one knows about him.

Sleeper WR. That guy on chicago with the long name that i cant remember. Of course chicago always dissapoints in my experience so grain of salt and all that.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,336 times
^^^ Chicago guy is Devin Aromashodu

Old 08-16-2010, 01:59 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Quote:
It depends on your scoring system. You might be getting a bad vibe about Johnson, for a good reason. He touched the ball, including receptions, 408 times last year. Of the 20 RBs in NFL history that touched the ball that many times, only 5 touched it over 340 times the following season. You have to remember that when the Titans drafted him out of East Carolina two years ago, he was mostly thought of as a third down RB. He has that kind of frame. No one is cut out to handle the ball that many times in a season, not Eric Dickerson or Earl Campbell, for that matter. These types of seasons are aberrations. They are not the norm. You also have to remember than when Jeff Fisher essentially forfeited the season last year after an 0-6 start, he basically re-structured the offense around the idea of Johnson getting 2000 yards. He averaged 26 touches a game from week 7 onwards. Now, with that said, if you are in a league that awards points for average distance of TD (I am in one of these leagues), he is most worthy of a top 3 pick overall. he's probably the fastest player in the league. However, Javon Ringer is a more capable backup than was LenDale White. He probably would have won the job anyway, even if White wasn't traded to Seattle. So, in a regular performance yardage league, you have to think that Ringer will take away about 15-20% of Johnson's touches, and that's if Johnson has no health issues. As I mentioned, Johnson's slightness in frame suggests that he will at some point sustain a major injury, be it to his knee, his shoulder or ribs.

That's my take on it. If I were the #1 pick, I'd stick with Adrian Peterson. If McGahee is traded, I might even defer to Ray Rice #2. In fact, I've made a killing the last 3 years in a row taking Peyton Manning in my one non-keeper league 7th, 9th, and 8th pick in the draft, respectively. He is really never injured, and consistently hangs top 3 numbers at the QB position, every single year. RBs are way too volatile to forecast. Ask the person who moved up last year, for instance, to draft Matt Forte with the 3rd or 4th overall pick.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM

By the way, anyone who has never tried it before should do an auction draft. You will never EVER go back to the traditional snake draft again if you attempt it.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It depends on your scoring system. You might be getting a bad vibe about Johnson, for a good reason. He touched the ball, including receptions, 408 times last year. Of the 20 RBs in NFL history that touched the ball that many times, only 5 touched it over 340 times the following season. You have to remember that when the Titans drafted him out of East Carolina two years ago, he was mostly thought of as a third down RB. He has that kind of frame. No one is cut out to handle the ball that many times in a season, not Eric Dickerson or Earl Campbell, for that matter. These types of seasons are aberrations. They are not the norm. You also have to remember than when Jeff Fisher essentially forfeited the season last year after an 0-6 start, he basically re-structured the offense around the idea of Johnson getting 2000 yards. He averaged 26 touches a game from week 7 onwards. Now, with that said, if you are in a league that awards points for average distance of TD (I am in one of these leagues), he is most worthy of a top 3 pick overall. he's probably the fastest player in the league. However, Javon Ringer is a more capable backup than was LenDale White. He probably would have won the job anyway, even if White wasn't traded to Seattle. So, in a regular performance yardage league, you have to think that Ringer will take away about 15-20% of Johnson's touches, and that's if Johnson has no health issues. As I mentioned, Johnson's slightness in frame suggests that he will at some point sustain a major injury, be it to his knee, his shoulder or ribs.

That's my take on it. If I were the #1 pick, I'd stick with Adrian Peterson. If McGahee is traded, I might even defer to Ray Rice #2. In fact, I've made a killing the last 3 years in a row taking Peyton Manning in my one non-keeper league 7th, 9th, and 8th pick in the draft, respectively. He is really never injured, and consistently hangs top 3 numbers at the QB position, every single year. RBs are way too volatile to forecast. Ask the person who moved up last year, for instance, to draft Matt Forte with the 3rd or 4th overall pick.
That's the feeling I'm getting. That small frame along with that workload last year is a torn ligament or broken bone waiting to happen. If McGahee is out of Baltimore Rice would be my first pick.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
That's the feeling I'm getting. That small frame along with that workload last year is a torn ligament or broken bone waiting to happen. If McGahee is out of Baltimore Rice would be my first pick.
True that, but also, consider the scoring system. If the league is PPR, that matters greatly in where to seed Rice. Also, if you are going to use the angle that Johnson is too small, then the same must said of Rice. He's essentially Brian Westbrook circa maybe 2004. And, if you are in a TD-heavy league, he's going to lose goal line action to LeRon McClain.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,881,913 times
What draft pick do you guys like to have? I personally like going around 5th or so. You still get a top RB and you wind up getting a good WR and/or QB. I hate going 1st/2nd and last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football