Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you enjoy watching the most?
PRO FOOTBALL (NFL) 26 40.63%
COLLEGE FOOTBALL (NCAA) 33 51.56%
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL 5 7.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times

Advertisements

NFL. I try to watch College football on occasion and I just can't get into it. For one, I don't care for the product on the field. I just find College ball to be a bit boring.
Two, I find College fan bases to be more obnoxious than even the most obnoxious NFL fan bases.

NFL all day. You can keep HS and College ball. No interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
College, because of the pageantry, atmosphere, and not having to deal with million-dollar egos.
true, they're just 100k ego's and you never heard about the payoffs..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h152cc2 View Post
Which do you enjoy to watch more... PRO FOOTBALL (NFL), COLLEGE FOOTBALL (NCAA), or HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL?

And please tell us WHY?
i prefer college to pro football, but barely. it has been a long time since i watched high school football(39 years in fact), and i watched the games from the sidelines as a student trainer.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM

321 posts, read 292,719 times
College

Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
NFL first, college second. No real interest in high school (I suppose unless I was in Texas or somewhere else where it's big).

I have watched both the NFL and college for years. The reason college takes a back seat to the NFL is probably due to being from Boston. The Boston College Eagle have teased me for too long. They seem to get close to being something here and there, but in the end they disappoint. I know they don't have the ability to recruit like the big boys, so the talent will always be less. Big schools like Ohio State, Michigan, etc get the players. The most exciting thing I can hang a hat on with Boston College was Doug Flutie's hail mary and some bowl games. I suppose I'd like to have a home town team that is in the hunt for it all, but alas that doesn't happen.

Back in the day I was more college than football (decades ago). The power houses of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State were vastly different from the pro game back then. Teams would run for 300-400 yards on the ground. The games were all in the trenches, and a majority of QB's were afterthoughts. I know teams like Miami and Florida State and others had some air games, but watching those college games back then were great.

Now the college game seems to emulate the NFL moreso than before with air attacks and such. Watching Oregon State execute the no huddle - you rarely saw that in the college games decades ago. So I began watching the NFL because I just thought as they became more similar, the NFL does it better.

I will say though that I've been to many Patriots games over the years. Going to BC home games is nothing - small crowds and an OK atmosphere. But many years ago I traveled to Penn State to watching BC play there. Being in a stadium of 102,000 was amazing. BC won that game, but fo me it was partially disappointing. I wanted to feel the energy of 102,000 fans, but BC scored 21 points in the 1st Qtr in like 6 minutes and totally deflated the crowd.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I'm NFL first but always follow college, too! I've always watched both. When my folks were alive, my mom liked Notre Dame and Penn State, my dad Northwestern and Wisconsin. It was fun watching games with them.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Definitely college. The tradition and atmosphere can't be beat. Also, I like the fact that a lot of the players tend to be from the same state or region their school is in; so there is that home pride aspect. There's just something special about seeing your team score and hearing that same fight song that's been played for decades.

Add in the recruiting aspects, and the fact that coaches have more control over the program as a whole, and it just makes it that much more fun.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Pro. It seems that with college the same teams win every year. My local high school football hasn't been any good for 50 years. Got tired of watching them lose.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
One year ago I would have said NFL, but with the new playoff format in College I am leaning that way.

NFL is only concerned with W/L records. That is what gets you into the playoffs. Even before the new College playoff system, a college level team had to dominate each or most opponents to be considered for the top spots. Add that to the fact that NFL defenses are much better than college defenses and you see more high scoring(exciting) games in the college ranks.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
High school is popular in areas like where I grew up, Stark County, Ohio. There you had two powerhouse teams in the McKinley(Canton) Bulldogs and Massillon Tigers. Every year that was the big game. Even if you didn't attend one of those high schools you would follow the teams. Actually it was difficult not to, since the local newspapers covered them so well. There was even a documentary made called "Go Tigers" about the Massillon team.

When John Madden was in broadcasting he would always mention the outcome of their game.

In areas where high schools don't have major rivalries or a perennial powerhouse team, nobody cares all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football