Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHOULD THE NFL EXTEND THE SEASON TO 18 ??
YES. BETTER FOR THE FANS 10 34.48%
NO. TOO RISKY FOR INJURIES 18 62.07%
DON'T CARE... 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,509,569 times

Advertisements

I think this is a bad idea....

What say you...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,388,333 times
Are they going to reduce the PreSeason schedule from 4 games to 2? If so, then possibly.

I like it at 16 games, I can see all 31 other NFL teams at least once every 6 years, then.

I would actually like to see just 2 Preseason games, and them played in other markets. Paying full price for exhibition games is absurd.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,512,412 times
You can see the day coming when the league will decide that no preseason games are actually necessary. They'll go right to a 20-game season.

As to what might be good for the fans, nobody should delude themselves. The fans don't enter the equation except as ratings points. The NFL, given a choice, will unerringly and automatically do what's good for television. Period. Next case!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM

18,178 posts, read 25,734,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Are they going to reduce the PreSeason schedule from 4 games to 2? If so, then possibly.

I like it at 16 games, I can see all 31 other NFL teams at least once every 6 years, then.

I would actually like to see just 2 Preseason games, and them played in other markets. Paying full price for exhibition games is absurd.
It doesn't seem that many years ago that buying the extra exhibition game tickets were optional (yea, I'm old!)

And I will call them exhibition games, thank you!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM

9,347 posts, read 20,710,716 times
Keep it at 16 games, reduce the pre-season to three weeks, and have a second bye week to make up for the loss of one week's of preseaon games. NFL is a brutal enough game at 16 weeks to sustain injuries through another 2 weeks.

I heard Phil Simms say something very interesting once. He said by looking at NFL Films, he could almost instinctively tell by the speed of the game what week the game was being played in. He said the speed of the players and the ferocity of the hitting is much greater at the beginning of the season. Toward the end of the season, the distance of the runs is shorter, you see far less hitting, etc. He said the effect of a player around week 16 is the same as being in a car accident into a wall at 30 mph. I love NFL football, but you also have to consider how much damage a human being's body can sustain over that course of time.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM

909 posts, read 2,975,521 times
Vision Quest wants the NFL to have an 18 game season as well. I think the players would like it more than they know. They seem to of liked the transfer too 16 games, they are pros, and the best teams will overcome the adversity.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,068,805 times
I don't think it's bad because of injuries, though I was forced to vote that way.

I think it's bad because I love records. It goes back to the 14 to 16 game season. Records become ultra modern and the difficulty of comparing eras exists to a greater degree.

Though I am a fan of cutting the preseason down to 2 games - that's certainly better for the fans who no longer get stuck paying regular season prices for another set of preseason games.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM

41,790 posts, read 74,837,182 times
Go back to 14 games. The season is interminable the way it is.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,005,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Keep it at 16 games, reduce the pre-season to three weeks, and have a second bye week to make up for the loss of one week's of preseaon games. NFL is a brutal enough game at 16 weeks to sustain injuries through another 2 weeks.

I heard Phil Simms say something very interesting once. He said by looking at NFL Films, he could almost instinctively tell by the speed of the game what week the game was being played in. He said the speed of the players and the ferocity of the hitting is much greater at the beginning of the season. Toward the end of the season, the distance of the runs is shorter, you see far less hitting, etc. He said the effect of a player around week 16 is the same as being in a car accident into a wall at 30 mph. I love NFL football, but you also have to consider how much damage a human being's body can sustain over that course of time.
I agree, 18 games would be too much for the players bodies to handle. For the teams that go into the playoffs it would be even more brutal. I know the pre-season games are important for the coaches but they are incredibly boring to watch on TV...lol. I wish they would have two major scrimmages (not televised) and then maybe just one or two pre-season games on TV.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:51 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,388,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It doesn't seem that many years ago that buying the extra exhibition game tickets were optional (yea, I'm old!)

And I will call them exhibition games, thank you!
That's what they are, is exhibition. I know the league dislikes it, but I dislike the league.

The NFL is the ONLY sport that NEVER gives you a break on ticket prices. I sat in Sun Devil Stadium, getting cancer, year after year...and I'm not locked into any prices. I pay the same high prices all the bandwaggoners do....I wish they'd at least give you the Exhibition games half off. For goodness sakes they want their STs paid in full by early April, anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football