U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm rolling with Nugent this week. There isn't any science or research involved in that decision beyond the fact that he hasn't scored less than 7 points so far this year, the coaches are not afraid to put him on the field and he's had a couple of strong double-digit showings.

Really, any kicker you select still amounts to rolling the dice.
I am almost pondering going 'light' at the position, and the reason is, I don't have an extra roster spot to stash another kicker. I could let my existing kicker, Rackers, dangle on the waiver wire, by dropping him, but then I risk another team adding him next Tuesday. Our league has a separate post season playoff pool, where the winner of the post season bags 15% of the cumulative gross money. If you think the Texans get into the postseason, then you possibly expose your kicker to getting obtained by another team. And the reason I would do this for ONLY a kicker is precisely what you and Skel are both saying: it really is a crap-shoot. The only way you can determine who NOT to pick up is sometimes predicated on pre-game weather conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,880,518 times
There is no reason to keep a kicker on your bench. Well I dont know how many bench spots leagues have, they are all different but we only keep 4 bench slots.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM

308 posts, read 375,795 times
Decisions for two leagues...

PPR League:
TE - Shockey or Aaron Hernandez
Flex - Crabtree or Danario Alexander?

Non-PPR League:
Pick three - Witten, Santana Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Manningham, Danario Alexander

Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,386,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post

PPR League:

Non-PPR League:

Thanks
I stay away from Shockey on general principle. I know he's playing against Cleveland, but that doesn't change the fact that he's completely unpredictable and is as likely to give you <10 yards as he is 50+ with a TD. Go with Hernandez.

Your second PPR problem is a little trickier, but if it were me I would start Crabtree. He's coming off of two good weeks and Smith is starting to show some confidence in him. Alexander had a solid debut, but that's all we know about him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he has a 5 or 6 point performance tomorrow.

Non-PPR:

I think Gonzalez is good for 10 points this week. Moss appears to be poised to put up big numbers, but my gut says he's risky. I think Manningham is just too risky to consider. When a guy lays back-to-back eggs and then bounces back against Detroit you need to watch him for a while before you gamble on him again unless he has a great matchup. Is Dallas a great matchup for him?

If it were me I would start Gonzalez, Alexander and I would have a tough time picking the third. Start flipping coins.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
My friend's wife benched McFadden today. Poor girl is gonna be tearing her hair out all night.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
My friend's wife benched McFadden today. Poor girl is gonna be tearing her hair out all night.
The guy who owns McFadden in my league lost his matchup by thirty points. McFadden had ~43 by our scoring. He benched him in response to the Rotowire snippet calling him "70/30 to play" and something like "even if he plays he will see a drastically reduced share of the workload. Find a better option".

He's mad.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post

PPR League:

Non-PPR League:

Thanks
Well, it looks like you're up the creek if you were counting on anyone in your PPR league to score any points.

I hope you started Moss, Witten and Manningham because it can't get any worse than Alexander and Gonzalez...

Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Quote:
The guy who owns McFadden in my league lost his matchup by thirty points. McFadden had ~43 by our scoring. He benched him in response to the Rotowire snippet calling him "70/30 to play" and something like "even if he plays he will see a drastically reduced share of the workload. Find a better option".

He's mad.
You know, the same thing happened with me last week, except for the player benched was Calvin Johnson. The problem is that these rotowire updates are not relevant until an hour before kickoffs, when teams go through their pre-game warm ups. The player and trainers pretty much make these determinations at that point. When I lacked 'a life', I would have been in front of my computer last Sunday to make that change when the last blurb broke over rotowire. However, I happened to be food shopping (ugh) right before the games started. Therefore, I was unable to make the change I needed to make, just prior to kickoff. It happens. Lesson learned: don't put stake on the 50/50 'questionable' injury reports until the hour before the game begins.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM

308 posts, read 375,795 times
Quote:
Well, it looks like you're up the creek if you were counting on anyone in your PPR league to score any points.

I hope you started Moss, Witten and Manningham because it can't get any worse than Alexander and Gonzalez...
I started Gonzalez, Alexander, and Manningham actually. Oh well.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
Manningham or Dez Bryant tonight?

Right now I'm going with Dez...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football