U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,442,983 times

Advertisements

You guys ready for the Strike/Lockout? Enjoy this year...the owners are bullies, and I hope the players don't budge on that extra 2 games. Not good for their health at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,073,540 times
How many games in a season now?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
I thinkwe will see a strike.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,858,223 times
yep. lockout for sure.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
How many games in a season now?
Gladly tell you. You were very helpful with my questions on Footie.

20 games. 4 preseason and 16 regular season.

They want to extend to 22 games. 4 preseason and 18 regular season. I really see no reason for the 2 extra games except that the owners want more money and that is a way to do it, and make the fans think they are on our side.

Most major injuries seem to take place late in the season when bodies are worn down. Plus...it won't help the fans. What if the Colts are leading late in the season by a couple games....those games will be worthless.

I know what the owners are planning to do....claim to keep the season at 20 games, just cut down 2 preseason games. My opinion is as boring as they are, coaches and players need those preseason games.

BTW Footie is on ESPN3 a lot. It kind of sucks cuz no DVR like controls. I usually put the Round of 16 games on early when I'm cleaning or something...for background noise.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Gladly tell you. You were very helpful with my questions on Footie.

20 games. 4 preseason and 16 regular season.

They want to extend to 22 games. 4 preseason and 18 regular season. I really see no reason for the 2 extra games except that the owners want more money and that is a way to do it, and make the fans think they are on our side.

Most major injuries seem to take place late in the season when bodies are worn down. Plus...it won't help the fans. What if the Colts are leading late in the season by a couple games....those games will be worthless.

I know what the owners are planning to do....claim to keep the season at 20 games, just cut down 2 preseason games. My opinion is as boring as they are, coaches and players need those preseason games.

BTW Footie is on ESPN3 a lot. It kind of sucks cuz no DVR like controls. I usually put the Round of 16 games on early when I'm cleaning or something...for background noise.
thats interesting...
Aus Footy = 22 games + 4 pre-season games
They also want to extend to possibly 23 /24 games, players are against this idea here too, stating same reasons .. already a lot of strain on the body.

By the end of the year the younger players have already fallen by the wayside - I guess its the same for American football (?)

In Aus footy: The preseason will pretty much start in early November which means they get 2 months off between seasons & start of training.

its all about $$

Its finals now here (playoffs?) 4 games left ... at least NFL is starting

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
thats interesting...
Aus Footy = 22 games + 4 pre-season games
They also want to extend to possibly 23 /24 games, players are against this idea here too, stating same reasons .. already a lot of strain on the body.

By the end of the year the younger players have already fallen by the wayside - I guess its the same for American football (?)

In Aus footy: The preseason will pretty much start in early November which means they get 2 months off between seasons & start of training.

its all about $$

Its finals now here (playoffs?) 4 games left ... at least NFL is starting
It is different here. We have a salary cap (not this year). So it's veterans that get kicked to the wayside. Since the veteran minimum is so much higher than a rookie minimum.

IMO...they need to create 7 new roster slots. 60 players for 60 minutes.

I would like to see the minimums raised, and the high end salaries lowered. Tom Brady making $19 is silly and selfish.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It is different here. We have a salary cap (not this year). So it's veterans that get kicked to the wayside. Since the veteran minimum is so much higher than a rookie minimum.

IMO...they need to create 7 new roster slots. 60 players for 60 minutes.

I would like to see the minimums raised, and the high end salaries lowered. Tom Brady making $19 is silly and selfish.
We have salary cap too.
Except that Bradly makes what the entire team makes (44 on a list), combined

There is a veteran's list - if a player is on a veteran list only half of their salary is counted under the salary cap... this was introduced to stop exactly that happening.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
We have salary cap too.
Except that Bradly makes what the entire team makes (44 on a list), combined

There is a veteran's list - if a player is on a veteran list only half of their salary is counted under the salary cap... this was introduced to stop exactly that happening.
Australia seems cool. I've always wanted to visit it and New Zealand. I have adopted Geelong as my team just because they are on the most. I hope they are not the Yankees or Cowboys...then I'd have to get another team. I'd love to watch a game. I bet it is WAY better live than on TV.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Australia seems cool. I've always wanted to visit it and New Zealand. I have adopted Geelong as my team just because they are on the most. I hope they are not the Yankees or Cowboys...then I'd have to get another team. I'd love to watch a game. I bet it is WAY better live than on TV.
Geelong are probably on because they've been the most successful team for the past few years.
They're becoming arrogant and sore losers though.
My team just beat them on Friday night in a close match -

Yeah it is way better live. You can see the play forming in front of you rather than wondering why they're not pushing forward etc.
Its played on a big ground so hard to capture on TV.

So there is no salary cap in NFL at the moment ?
is it one or two owners pushing for it or the NFL administration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football