U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 76,843 times

Advertisements

[quote=THASPECIAL;1358699]
Quote:
Without a doubt?.... Is there a bit of jealousy for the Florida athletics here or is it just an opinion that Cali and Texas are better than Florida?....

I can't believe Florida isnt in the names you said as being the best in Football.

Florida highschool football is as big or bigger than California and is almost as big as Texas' passion for highschool football

Florida has more local talent that has made it to the NFL than any other state as the map shows and as i knew personally before.
This is true. I can't disagree with this at all.

Florida beats California in almost every highschool allstar football game every year in the CaliFlorida Bowl

If Florida and Texas had all star games every year im sure they would be competitive as well and Florida would probably have a chance to beat Texas the same way

Highschool:
Miami Northwestern a Dynasty in Florida.....even had a documentary on "Showtime" called "Year of the Bull"

Quote:
College

FSU vs. Miami
Gators vs. Seminoles

name another state that has rivalries as deep as those 2 rivalries every year .....and it has to be a state with 2 rivalries going on every year
Well how about Duke versus Carolina??? That's a huge rivalry and there is a big game every year where they face off. But you are absolutely right that it lacks the national prominence of the FSU versus Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 PM

634 posts, read 2,329,097 times
Oklahoma and texas for high school and college football. Both states totally stop on the weekends for these events.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,796,351 times
[quote=Tashlover;1362138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post

This is true. I can't disagree with this at all.

Florida beats California in almost every highschool allstar football game every year in the CaliFlorida Bowl

If Florida and Texas had all star games every year im sure they would be competitive as well and Florida would probably have a chance to beat Texas the same way

Highschool:
Miami Northwestern a Dynasty in Florida.....even had a documentary on "Showtime" called "Year of the Bull"

Well how about Duke versus Carolina??? That's a huge rivalry and there is a big game every year where they face off. But you are absolutely right that it lacks the national prominence of the FSU versus Miami.

i wasn't saying there aren't other states with talent but Florida is always up in the top with Cali and Texas.....thanks for the reply

Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashlover View Post
Are you serious?

Duke vs. North Carolina? I live in North Carolina and that is one of the least important in-state football rivalries that I can think of. Those teams are horrid, maybe you are thinking about basketball?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
RDU

40 posts, read 129,517 times
Duke vs Carolina:

The Worst football rivalry ever. Last year 2-10 vs 0-12

Possibly the best rivalry in sports when it comes to basketball.

Every southern state worships college football except N.C
North Carolina is the College Basketball Mecca.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,562,556 times
Are we talking about which states produce the most talent or the states where football is king/most popular? If it's just raw love of football, I would have to say Texas. Texans love their football, in all varieties. High School, College, and Pro. I'm from Oklahoma, and football is king there as well, but I don't think anything rivals the passion they have for football in Texas. They just go all out for football here, in every way.

Go Sooners!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,834,045 times
The biggest football states are Ohio,Texas, and Florida.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 19,243 times
Lets Goooooo Mountaineers!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,562,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The biggest football states are Ohio,Texas, and Florida.
I can agree with that somewhat. Ohio deserves to be in the mix somewhere because football was invented in Ohio, if I recall correctly. My home state of Oklahoma would be somewhere in the top ten if you're talking about passion for football. They love football in Oklahoma as well.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,985,489 times
Pittsburgh and PA are significant to football's history and is PA a state that loves everything football.

Aside from the obvious Steelers worship (and Eagles for that matter), the love of football is huge on a high school level, and many of the state's small colleges are competitive in the conferences. Pitt has 9 national championships. and there's Penn State's history as well.

Pittsburgh is known as the cradle of quarterbacks....
Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly, Jeff Hostetler, Johnny Unitas.

Certainly not that level, but Houston Texans starter Matt Schaub, Steelers backup Charlie Batch, and Tampa qb Gradkowski are Pittsburghers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or