U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,168,477 times

Advertisements

Texas & Alabama! one its a religion the other its a way of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Of COURSE Cali produces tons of talent. They have tons of PEOPLE.

That per capita map is way more telling. For the populations, it's the Southeast that really excels as a region. Football was huge at every level in SC, where I grew up. The Clemson/USC rivalry divided households like any good football rivalry should. I also lived in NC (PROUD APP STATE MOUNTAINEER!) and basketball was definitely bigger there.

I've lived in other states temporarily, including TX, and have spent time in Cali. In my opinion, they loved their football in Texas. Every level. High School. College. Pro. "Necessary Roughness", anyone?

In Cali I never really saw it. Just my take.

I'd say most of the Southeast (including TX) is where football's reign is most firmly entrenched.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM

655 posts, read 2,099,140 times
One rivalry:

Scarlet and Gray v. Maize and Blue

I overheard a conversation between two strangers shooting the bull on the NJ Transit into NYC that summed it up well:

"It's like a religion out there!"

Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
One rivalry:

Scarlet and Gray v. Maize and Blue

I overheard a conversation between two strangers shooting the bull on the NJ Transit into NYC that summed it up well:

"It's like a religion out there!"

I suppose to someone from New York City, midwestern college football would seem pretty intense. For the record, the original "Like a religion" quote is:

Quote:
Marino "Godfather" Casem, a legendary African-American college coach and administrator, summed it up best.

"In the East," Casem said in an oft-quoted assessment, "college football is a cultural exercise. On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction. In the Midwest, it is cannibalism. But in the South, it is religion. And Saturday is the Holy Day."

Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM

655 posts, read 2,099,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
"In the East," Casem said in an oft-quoted assessment, "college football is a cultural exercise. On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction. In the Midwest, it is cannibalism. But in the South, it is religion. And Saturday is the Holy Day."
Hey, that's good to know. Funny enough, I remember a t-shirt a classmate of mine wore with the following text:

Front: "What do you call a Michigan player who wanders into the Horseshoe?"

Back: "Lunch."

The back also had a picture of a Wolverine helmet with teethmarks in it.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM

458 posts, read 2,561,054 times
There are about 4 or 5 players on the Texas Longhorns football roster not from the state of Texas. That's all that needs to be said.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
There are about 4 or 5 players on the Texas Longhorns football roster not from the state of Texas. That's all that needs to be said.
lol, that's an interesting justficiation for why you think football is taken more seriously in Texas than in other states. They have 7 players from out-of-state on the roster, btw.

But by your logic, California takes football more seriously than Texas, because San Jose State only has 1 player on their roster that's not from California.

Last edited by anonymous; 09-06-2007 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,205,076 times
Until you know of someone who named their girls "Tiger" and "War Eagle".. then you aren't in a football state..

college football rules the south..

Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
college football rules the south..
I agree. For many people in the south, it's way more than a game - it's seen as "Our way of life against yours." Although this story is sad, I think it provides an illustration of how seriously some people take it. This was last season.

Quote:
Man shoots friend over $20 football bet - College football - MSNBC.com

Updated: 10:58 a.m. ET Nov 28, 2006
Associated Press
LEXINGTON, S.C. - A man fatally shot his friend with a high-powered rifle in a dispute over a $20 bet on the South Carolina-Clemson football game, authorities said Sunday.

James Walter Quick, 42, was charged with murder in the shooting of Richard Allen Johnson, 43. Johnson died from a single shot to the chest, according to a preliminary autopsy Sunday.

The two had bet $20 on the annual game, with Quick taking South Carolina, which won 31-28, and Johnson taking Clemson, Lexington County Sheriff James Metts said. They drank beer all afternoon and watched the game Saturday at Johnson’s home, and began arguing about the bet after the game.

Last edited by anonymous; 09-06-2007 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Until you know of someone who named their girls "Tiger" and "War Eagle".. then you aren't in a football state..
Or if you know someone who has Bear Bryant tattooed on his back:

.. and a tattoo of Kenny Stabler on his right forearm and the Alabama state flag on left one.

Here's an interview with this guy.
www.RollCrimsonTide.com Alabama Sports and Fitness
Quote:
"It's ALWAYS been a religion to me as long as I can remember. Through all the great victories and disastrous defeats, we as the Alabama Nation have always risen from those ashes to gain greater glory. It is very similar to stories in the Bible. So, I decided that I was going to make my body my temple. I was going to take all the events that have bonded me to the University of Alabama and put them all over my body."

Nate grew up in Dothan, Alabama, worked for five years as an Atlanta police officer, and in 2004 moved to Fort Collins, Colorado. He currently works for a company that does background checks for the government and the military.

"One of these local Colorado men once asked, 'What has the University of Alabama ever done for you?', I thought on it for a second and said, 'Sir, my mama always told me it doesn't make a difference how you find God, as long as you find him. And through the University of Alabama, Bear Bryant, and Van Tiffin, I have found God.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or