U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
From the bottom on up. What state loves football the most? Kids. High School. College. Pro. Whatever.

Some states have been mentioned that don't even have their own pro teams, but regularly supply every other team with some of the top players.

USATODAY.com - Mississippi gets nod as top football state

Quote:
USA Football, a non-profit organization whose aim is to promote the growth of youth and amateur football, selected Mississippi after measuring every state for high school football participation, fan interest in college and professional football and the percentage of NCAA Division I-A recruits and NFL players.

The evaluation was a collaboration between USA Football and Wharton Business Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania.

The rest of the top 10 states based on the USA Football formula:
1. Mississippi
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana
4. Ohio
5. Alabama
6. Texas
7. Virginia
8. South Carolina
9. Kansas
10. Florida.

"The results were intriguing, and it wasn't surprising that eight of the top 10 states were from the South," says Scott Hallenbeck, USA Football's executive director.

Surprisingly, traditional hotbeds Texas, Florida and California ranked 6th, 10th and 24th, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM

14,930 posts, read 13,320,636 times
Wait until OSU gets it's stadium expansion completed to seat 60,000, pictured below. Under the new west end zone the athletic facilities will rival or be superior to what pro football has. So who knows how many players will be drawn from Texas since that state won't have a stadium like it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Are we talking about which states produce the most talent or the states where football is king/most popular? If it's just raw love of football, I would have to say Texas. Texans love their football, in all varieties. High School, College, and Pro. I'm from Oklahoma, and football is king there as well, but I don't think anything rivals the passion they have for football in Texas. They just go all out for football here, in every way.

Go Sooners!
You know what Bear Bryant said when he was coaching at a school in TX early in his career: In Texas there are two sports that get all the attention, football, and spring football.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Football was invented in Ohio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I can agree with that somewhat. Ohio deserves to be in the mix somewhere because football was invented in Ohio, if I recall correctly. My home state of Oklahoma would be somewhere in the top ten if you're talking about passion for football. They love football in Oklahoma as well.
I agree that OH should be in the mix, but not because football was invented there. There's a simple reason for this. That is that football was not invented in Ohio. The Hall of Fame is there because of Ohio's early prominence as a center of professional football. The game itself developed originally as a college sport, at a bunch of the old schools in the Northeast. Historians dispute exactly what was the first game of football, in a form substantially the same as the game we know today, but the old legend is that the first game was played in 1869. I'm not certain of the schools, but I believe they were Rutgers and Princeton. There's no disputing that this contest took place. The only question is whether the rules were similar enough to those in modern football to consider it basically the same game.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
From the bottom on up. What state loves football the most? Kids. High School. College. Pro. Whatever.

Some states have been mentioned that don't even have their own pro teams, but regularly supply every other team with some of the top players.
The question of which states are best for college football has been covered pretty well already. If we're looking strictly at the pros, and the states where pro teams have the most fanatical following, I'd have to call it a toss-up between PA and WI. In PA (and parts of some adjacent states) they seem fanatical beyond belief about their Steelers. And you've got to really love your team if you're willing to show your support by doing something as embarassingly silly as sitting in the stands at a nationally televised game with a hunk of styrofoam cheese on your head!

If we're talking the state which more than any other has football--at all levels--pretty much encoded in the people's DNA, I don't know that I could pick one state. It looks like a tie between TX, OH, and PA. High school stars in every town are the local studs. Even pee-wee leagues get serious followings. All three states have legendary college teams with passionate followings--among the entire populace, not just people associated with those colleges. All three are among the top in supplying players to the pros. Finally, all of them have pro teams with storied histories. Ohio might lose a point or two on the last factor, since one could legitimately raise the question whether that outfit currently in Cleveland is really the Browns (I've never heard much about how Cleveland fans feel about that question), but the original Browns are legendary, and hey, the pro football Hall of Fame is in OH. I'd also put FL in this mix, for all the same reasons as TX, OH, and PA, but maybe a baby step below the other three, since FL's college teams have a shorter history of being in the big time on a national level.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 PM

458 posts, read 2,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juicebox View Post
didnt read the whole thread so dont know if anyone said Indiana yet. Before you laugh we have Purdue, Indiana U., and of course Notre dame. and the colts who have just began there dynasty. I think we have 1 or 2 highschool in the top 25 in the nation in football. so yes i feel that Indiana has it
lol... You have to be kidding me right? You are using IU football to try to say Indiana is a good football state? Wow. Basketball, ok. Football, no.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,791,900 times
Miami Florida ....Is the home of the #1 team in highschool football.....and the Florida Gators are the defending National Champions of College football.....the NFL is next for Florida in the Championship department.........2 out of 3 ain't bad for now though

cbs4.com - Video Library

Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The question of which states are best for college football has been covered pretty well already. If we're looking strictly at the pros, and the states where pro teams have the most fanatical following, I'd have to call it a toss-up between PA and WI. In PA (and parts of some adjacent states) they seem fanatical beyond belief about their Steelers. And you've got to really love your team if you're willing to show your support by doing something as embarassingly silly as sitting in the stands at a nationally televised game with a hunk of styrofoam cheese on your head!

If we're talking the state which more than any other has football--at all levels--pretty much encoded in the people's DNA, I don't know that I could pick one state. It looks like a tie between TX, OH, and PA. High school stars in every town are the local studs. Even pee-wee leagues get serious followings. All three states have legendary college teams with passionate followings--among the entire populace, not just people associated with those colleges. All three are among the top in supplying players to the pros. Finally, all of them have pro teams with storied histories. Ohio might lose a point or two on the last factor, since one could legitimately raise the question whether that outfit currently in Cleveland is really the Browns (I've never heard much about how Cleveland fans feel about that question), but the original Browns are legendary, and hey, the pro football Hall of Fame is in OH. I'd also put FL in this mix, for all the same reasons as TX, OH, and PA, but maybe a baby step below the other three, since FL's college teams have a shorter history of being in the big time on a national level.
Strictly looking at the pros, I'll even admit as a Bears fan that Wisconsin is all Packers all the time - roster moves are front page news (I mean the front page, not just the front page of the sports section) in the middle of summer.

Underrated pro fans: Seattle Seahawks fans - the way that the crowd intimidates opponents belies the laid-back West Coast stereotypes.

Overrated pro fans: Oakland Raiders fans - we hear all the time about "Raider Nation" and their crazy-dressing fans, but the franchise always has several games a year that are blacked out on Bay Area TV since they can't sell out games. When season tickets to teams like the Bears, Packers, and Steelers are passed down in wills because they are so difficult to obtain, I find it hard to put Raiders fans in that same class when they can't sell out all of their games (particularly when almost all of the NFL teams can easily do so).

Old 09-22-2007, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 24,908 times
Default All I gotta say is........

Da Bears. We are gonna win da super bowl dis year. No problem. As for da fans, Loyal till da end. I've never met a Bears Fan dat has ever had a doubt. We could be down 21 in da forth wit 4 min on da clock. All dere is to say is dat we are gonna win. And if we lose there is always beer and sausage. Give me a Hell yeah, a Ditka, and a Beer. (For those of you who think I cannot spell, pronounce my paragraph as if you are a true Bears Super Fan. It will make sense as soon as you read it this way!)

Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,791,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBearsGuy45 View Post
Da Bears. We are gonna win da super bowl dis year. No problem. As for da fans, Loyal till da end. I've never met a Bears Fan dat has ever had a doubt. We could be down 21 in da forth wit 4 min on da clock. All dere is to say is dat we are gonna win. And if we lose there is always beer and sausage. Give me a Hell yeah, a Ditka, and a Beer. (For those of you who think I cannot spell, pronounce my paragraph as if you are a true Bears Super Fan. It will make sense as soon as you read it this way!)
I am from Miami and i always like the Bears or "Da Bears" along with the Dolphins...I do hope the Bears win the superbowl too.....good luck this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or