Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM

45 posts, read 128,938 times

Advertisements

It would have to be TEXAS! We love our football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What states love their football and who has the best talent in the country?
The SEC and Big XII states are big college football territory. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arkansas all love their college football more than anywhere else in the country.

For NFL, it's probably the midwest. Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc..

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Where's all the talent coming from?

I read a great article on rivals.com called, "Where does all the talent come from?" They did some analysis to see where NFL players hometowns were. Obviously Florida, California and Texas have the most people, so they produce more players. Per capita, the map looks like this:

And If you really want to know, pound-for-pound which state produces the most football talent, it's definitely the southeast. Out of the big states, Florida produces more than Texas does, both in raw #'s and per capita.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,539 times
187 NFL players from FL, 181 from TX...wow, that's close

Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM

64 posts, read 203,968 times
I would say FLA.

But, I may be biased

Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I would say Ohio, Texas, Florida, Cali and PA.

I say Ohio because we love our high school football just as much as texas. Plus, pro-football started here and we have the HOF. Also, there are at least a few high schools that have been playing each other for close to or over 100 years. One of the biggest rivalries in all of high school football is between Canton McKinley and Massillon Washington............that game is even on the betting line in Vegas every year.

Massillon Tigers CyberRevue (http://www.massillontigers.com/history.htm - broken link)

MASSILLONPROUD.COM - Site for Massillon Tigers Football, Sports, News, and Fun!

Ohio High School Football Rivalry Massillon Washington Tigers Vs Canton McKinley Bulldogs - Associated Content About the rivalry

JJHuddle's Ohio High - Ohio High School Sports Stuff Ohio's high school football forum...........includes other sports as well

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
I would say the frozen tundra land of Wisconsin. Everyone knows the Packer fans love their team, and Badger Football is a big hit as well.

In Virginia where I live now, there are a zillion Tech fans.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
The most popular football states is not = the states that produce the most recruited players. There is a mix of things that would make a state be regarded as such from high school to pro and in any ranking like, needs to go beyond a few years and through all of football history. People tend to view now as always.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The most popular football states is not = the states that produce the most recruited players. There is a mix of things that would make a state be regarded as such from high school to pro and in any ranking like, needs to go beyond a few years and through all of football history. People tend to view now as always.
What states are you refering to?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
Texas and California, without a doubt. I'd say those two states consistently also develop the best talent in most sports.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
Texas and California, without a doubt. I'd say those two states consistently also develop the best talent in most sports.

Without a doubt?.... Is there a bit of jealousy for the Florida athletics here or is it just an opinion that Cali and Texas are better than Florida?....

I can't believe Florida isnt in the names you said as being the best in Football.

Florida highschool football is as big or bigger than California and is almost as big as Texas' passion for highschool football

Florida has more local talent that has made it to the NFL than any other state as the map shows and as i knew personally before.

Florida beats California in almost every highschool allstar football game every year in the CaliFlorida Bowl

If Florida and Texas had all star games every year im sure they would be competitive as well and Florida would probably have a chance to beat Texas the same way

Highschool:
Miami Northwestern a Dynasty in Florida.....even had a documentary on "Showtime" called "Year of the Bull"

College

FSU vs. Miami
Gators vs. Seminoles

name another state that has rivalries as deep as those 2 rivalries every year .....and it has to be a state with 2 rivalries going on every year

NFL

The map says it all......count or name all the players of star calliber from Florida

I give respect to Texas and California but Florida should be put along side these two states as best football states........this is the big 3 states for football.....if any other state says they have better football fans or talents from highschool to NFL outside of Texas, Florida, and California....then i would want to see statistics going from Highschool up to the NFL

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 08-26-2007 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football