U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM

219 posts, read 221,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They still didn't have to run ALL THREE DOWNS!!
I gave the person an entire paragraph of an answer in detail. You're response is "They still didn't have to..." So compelling. So insightful. You ever thought about radio or tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,563,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If he runs a 11 yd route once he catches the ball-"FIRST DOWN"

On 3rd and 3 why go for a BOMB when you can get the first down and thrown that same bomb on 1st and 10??????????
(i) I hate the five yard route on 3rd & 10 also...

BUT: (ii) you aren't going to see nine guys in the box on 1st & 10, the safety isn't going to respect your play action and the corner isn't going to bite on your pump-fake.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

7,529 posts, read 6,172,750 times
#1 on this list drives me batty as well, I see this all of the time 3rd and 8 and they throw a 2 yard pass and 5 guys tackle him before he gets 3 steps.

I think the defensive secondary's are lining up across the 1st down spot, taking away the 8 to 10 yard pass, but there are options, hell I'd rather see a screen with blockers or a TE down the seam, then the constant check down that have a very small success rate.

the other one that bugs me is the 3rd and 3 bomb, again it has a very low success rate.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 PM

749 posts, read 2,111,567 times
How about a #11 to add to the list. The underdog taking a knee and just running out the clock and being happy to be tied or only down by 3 or 7 at half time, especially if they have a TO or 2 left. It's a 60 minute game.....so use all 60 minutes. I'd rather see a long pass attempt and at least hope for an interference call or blown coverage, at least try to get 3 before halftime.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,611,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
How about a #11 to add to the list. The underdog taking a knee and just running out the clock and being happy to be tied or only down by 3 or 7 at half time, especially if they have a TO or 2 left. It's a 60 minute game.....so use all 60 minutes. I'd rather see a long pass attempt and at least hope for an interference call or blown coverage, at least try to get 3 before halftime.

It depends on where you are located on the field. If you are on your own 15 yd line and down 7 it's best to just play it cool and regroup after the half because sometimes there can be an unexpected situation and you can go from being down 7 to 14. Just ask the Cowboys

Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM

I seen number 5 happen about 6 times today

in the Eagles/Lions Game
in the Skins/Texans Game
in the Jets/Pats Game

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,563,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
It's one thing to try to force a play in the moments before halftime in high school or even college for that matter, but throwing a deep ball in the NFL when the opposing secondary knows that you are throwing a deep ball carries a very significant risk of something really terrible happening, like going six points +1 deeper into debt.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 AM

790 posts, read 1,471,424 times
On sunday I noticed Carolina gave a very lackluster effort at winning the game. They had the ball down near Tampa's 3 yd line ith about 6 min to play and down by 13. Carolina threw on first down which was a good call and away from the defender to prevent the INT and the clock stopped. Why the heck did they run it three straight times afterwards in a very predictable fashion. I'm not a fan of either team but I hate it when teams play an "offensive prevent" like Carolina. Take a freaking chance and try to win the game! If you fail who cares you at least gave it a chance. San Diego, on the other hand, plays to win and to put their opponent away as quickly as possible. UP by 8 pts with just over one minute to play in the first half SD had the ball on their own 15 and Phillip Rivers proceeded to fling the ball down field to any receiver available. They ended up scoring a TD and taking a 15 pt lead into the locker room all but assuring a win. Most teams don't have that type of killer instinct and instead play the same old predictable conservative crap running it up the gut and "playing it safe" until the clock expires.

Last edited by rogercobb; 09-21-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
On sunday I noticed Carolina gave a very lackluster effort at winning the game. They had the ball down near Tampa's 3 yd line ith about 6 min to play and down by 13. Carolina threw on first down which was a good call and away from the defender to prevent the INT and the clock stopped. Why the heck did they run it three straight times afterwards in a very predictable fashion. I'm not a fan of either team but I hate it when teams play an "offensive prevent" like Carolina. Take a freaking chance and try to win the game! If you fail who cares you at least gave it a chance. San Diego, on the other hand, plays to win and to put their opponent away as quickly as possible. UP by 8 pts with just over one minute to play in the first half SD had the ball on their own 15 and Phillip Rivers proceeded to fling the ball down field to any receiver available. They ended up scoring a TD and taking a 15 pt lead into the locker room all but assuring a win. Most teams don't have that type of killer instinct and instead play the same old predictable conservative crap running it up the gut and "playing it safe" until the clock expires.
The best pass play for being on the 3yd line is the Lob pass over the top or the "naked bootlegg"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football