U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times

Advertisements

Portis is the same moron who when asked initially about the Vick arrest said...

Portis-"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it was his property. It was his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it. What people do behind closed doors."

Reporter-"That's a felony. I mean it's a crime."

Portis-"Can't be too bad of a crime."

Football Player Says Michael Vick's Dog Fighting is Nobody's Business | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Portis-"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it was his property. It was his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it. What people do behind closed doors."

Football Player Says Michael Vick's Dog Fighting is Nobody's Business | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley
Admittedly there aren't too many MENSA members running around professional sports these days, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
All I know is, if I said anything like that at work to a woman in our office, I would be fired

Why should Athletes be held to different standards?
In my office they:

1) Wouldn't let women wear that outfit.
2) Wouldn't let them walk into the bathroom or our shower facility to ask me about a project I was working on.

So clearly, the environment is already "unprofessional" or at the very least "unique".

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So, you people are saying that if a woman reporter is in a locker room then she deserves to be sexually harassed? WTF? No wonder the thugged-out NFL and its classless fans are the laughing stock of the sporting world.
Um, walking into a restricted area full of near naked members of the opposite sex is in almost every sense harrassment.

Don't believe me? Walk into the ladies locker room at your gym and tell them you are a reporter.

P.S. Wear something like a speedo, it ups your credibility.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM

219 posts, read 220,690 times
Quote:
All I know is, if I said anything like that at work to a woman in our office, I would be fired

Why should Athletes be held to different standards?
Breaking news: ATHLETES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HELD TO DIFFERENT STANDARDS! This isn't new. It's the way it is. Get over it. Rules are different for the rich as well. Go complain about that. Rules are different for hot women that can flirt their way out of a ticket. Sucks for me. Athletes can get into college on relaxed academic guidelines. People ***** about that all the time. Life makes exceptions for some people. Good or bad, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So, you people are saying that if a woman reporter is in a locker room then she deserves to be sexually harassed? WTF? No wonder the thugged-out NFL and its classless fans are the laughing stock of the sporting world.
No wonder the NFL laps every other sport in this country in popularity and isn't slowing down for anything...

She said herself she wasn't harassed and didn't feel threatened. But if you go into a football locker room after a practice with tight jeans and cleavage and an A+ body (don't care what your opinion is, she's a model for a reason), expect at least one man to say something. Walk by a construction site and you'll get the same thing. Walk by any group of males looking the way she did and that's what you'll get. It isn't limited to athletes. That's a short-sighted (and lame) opinion.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM

4,969 posts, read 7,322,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

What's your bad point? Just because he made one bad comment, doesn't mean all of his comments are bad......
others have said the woman in the Jets room was harrassed. Even if she was, that didn't mean that Portis needed to apologize for telling the truth.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,747,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
Breaking news: ATHLETES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HELD TO DIFFERENT STANDARDS! This isn't new. It's the way it is. Get over it. Rules are different for the rich as well. Go complain about that. Rules are different for hot women that can flirt their way out of a ticket. Sucks for me. Athletes can get into college on relaxed academic guidelines. People ***** about that all the time. Life makes exceptions for some people. Good or bad, deal with it.

No wonder the NFL laps every other sport in this country in popularity and isn't slowing down for anything...

She said herself she wasn't harassed and didn't feel threatened. But if you go into a football locker room after a practice with tight jeans and cleavage and an A+ body (don't care what your opinion is, she's a model for a reason), expect at least one man to say something. Walk by a construction site and you'll get the same thing. Walk by any group of males looking the way she did and that's what you'll get. It isn't limited to athletes. That's a short-sighted (and lame) opinion.
Wow, try to work on your arguments. You didn't really say much from this post besides

A. You think athletes should be able to get away with whatever they want
B. You have no respect for women

Guys, it is as simple as this: If I see a girl walking down the street who is dressed the way this reporter is dressed, it would not be okay for me to cat-call her. That is just not acceptable in society-- anywhere. Even if it is a locker room. The environment doesn't matter. The point is it is not acceptable-- anywhere.

Hopefully none of you have daughters-- and if you do I wonder if you would mind men treating them disrespectfully?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, try to work on your arguments. You didn't really say much from this post besides

A. You think athletes should be able to get away with whatever they want
B. You have no respect for women

Guys, it is as simple as this: If I see a girl walking down the street who is dressed the way this reporter is dressed, it would not be okay for me to cat-call her. That is just not acceptable in society-- anywhere. Even if it is a locker room. The environment doesn't matter. The point is it is not acceptable-- anywhere.

Hopefully none of you have daughters-- and if you do I wonder if you would mind men treating them disrespectfully?
It's entirely acceptable at any number of public venues. Mardi Gras springs to mind where you cat call and the girl flashes her boobs for beads.

In certain venues it's not disrespectful since the gal is actually looking for a reaction.

Let's face it, she sells sex on tv and knows it....and is from Latin America which means she probably has heard such comments daily since age 13 on any street down there. Heck, she's probably catcalled at mass if you are familiar with the culture lol.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times
Quote:
Hopefully my daughter is never in a locker room full of half naked men, and if she is, I'd hope she'd be smart enough to dress conservatively and look professional.

We appreciate your trying to play Sir Walter Raleigh here, but we're not talking about Pam Oliver being sexually harassed while wearing a wool overcoat on the sidelines. This is a model who got where she is on her looks, and who knows exactly what she's doing when she walks into a men's locker room while on display.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM

395 posts, read 910,568 times
Cat-calling a woman is stupid, but so is being a woman in a men's locker room and not expecting a reaction. It's a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or