U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,395,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what he said isn't even close to controversial, not even close. the NFL is garbage trying to censor this. (yes Iknow, it's a private business bla bla bla)

the country has b/c so rediculously politically correct the anti-speech people will only be happy until everyone is a robo-talking, corporate speaking imbicile without a brain.

it's already incredibully boring to listen to both athletes and coaches blab on and on with all the dozens of catchphrases they use, when somebody even remotely, and I mean remotely, steps out of that narrowly defined box it's slap him with a fine, make him apologise in a "statement'' (like he really means it but as long as a small minority who just can't get on with their lives when they hear one sentence they don't like is satisfied.) did anybody listen to Vince Youngs comments about the Heisman trophey, seriously, he didn't write that and that's not how he feels. Words have no meaning anymore. They've been cheapened.

it's tyranny of the majority by a small minority. It used to be you'd hear something you didn't like or didn't agree with, you'd shrug your shoulders and move on with life, now there's an interest group that starts whining asap and screams b/c that's all they're good at, it's their job. Sickening.

oh and yes, it's a rediculous double standard. I saw the pictures of how she was dressed. Do any of you actually watch these hispanic shows? it's t and a 24/7.
I actually agree with the premise here. Portis' comments will certainly be offensive to the over-sensitive and crusader types but he hasn't said anything that damages anyone or anything that is necessarily untrue.

I don't think he's demonstrating a very good grasp of the political pulse of 2010 (or the past 20 years, for that matter) and he's doing a good job of convincing me that he's either an idiot or his foot tastes really good, but why in the hell are we as a culture so damned committed to tiptoeing around every issue and going to completely ridiculous lengths to avoid offending anyone. I don't think that anyone's tender sensibilities are protected by any law or any provision of the constitution. You are free to be pissed off without legal recourse and you are free to induce a condition of "pissed off" in anyone else without legal recourse as far as I am aware.

This nation would be a lot healthier if more people had the lack of thought/speech barrier that Clinton Portis and Kenny Powers seem to have.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I have always thought that in a dressing room the players should have some privacy. It would be preferrable to me to give other access afterwards to reporters.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,323,570 times
A salute to Lance Briggs, Chicago Bears linebacker:
Women in the Locker Room? Naw, Baby. | NBC Chicago

Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM

219 posts, read 220,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Oh my gosh, I still can't believe I have to explain this to you (edit) (I'd tell you to go read a book-- but you are probably too busy reading Men's Health). In your last post you said that sometimes it is appropriate to "cat-call"-- which is A FORM OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT. By that statement alone, you are making exceptions where it is okay for a man to sexually harass a woman. It is not appropriate or fair to make exceptions where it is okay to sexually harass women. You can't say "Okay, in this case sexual harassment is okay-- but in this case it isn't."

I'm not making "huge leaps from your typed words," I'm simply taking your example and applying it to other situations in which if you held the same beliefs that you stated you would have to logically agree with.

(editing the last sentence).
So you won't get over it, you can't see this objectively, you feel like bold letters makes your point stronger somehow (since the rest of your post is weak, I guess), and you have to use language that has to edited by the moderator... You're saying cat-calling is sexual harassment period...

Forget all the other circumstances. I'm standing outside my nice car in a parking lot, waiting for a friend or something random. I whistle at a girl that walks by who is dressed provocatively, once. Maybe I follow it up with something like, "Hey sexy." She smiles (maybe because she's flattered, or maybe because she's uncomfortable) but keeps walking. Did I just sexually harass her?

I whistle at the same girl walking by, once, with the same (weak) line "Hey sexy." She stops and shows some interest in me (thinks I have a nice car, likes my shoes, my smile, whatever). Did I sexually harass her?

One more time with the same woman. She brushes me off. I whistle again and say "Come here girl!" or something to that effect; maybe I call her a vulgar name. She keeps walking. I catch up to her and tell her how sexy she is. She tries to walk away. I stand in front of her to block her.

Yes, that's harassment.

Maybe you don't talk to people of the opposite sex, in which I'd understand why you'd have a hard time with this. It definitely depends on how the man is doing it and how the woman reacts. Touching a girl who doesn't want to be touched is harassment. Touching a girl the in the same way who wants to be touched isn't harassment. If a girl is looking for the attention and gets it, how is it harassment? Stop being letter-of-the-law guy. It's really lame.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,777,108 times
I'm sorry but she should not have worn that outfit-how can you be taken seriously? I'm all for women being able to do what men do but why on earth would she think that outfit would be an acceptable choice?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 AM

16,522 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I knew this thread would be active, am ok with it. Will keep the thread open for now anyway, with a reminder to keep the conversation civil.

Thank you.

I think we've pretty much covered this now. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or