U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 03:14 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Week 17 will be for the division, huge game and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't moved to a different time slot.

That game is probably going to be the Sunday Night game anyways. Its entirely possible that will be the only division that is up for grabs (if Tampa Bay loses the NFC South is wrapped up, Raiders win & Chiefs lose the AFC West is wrapped up, and if Texans win the AFC South is wrapped up). If Texans lose, that game will be the only other scenario where it's a winner take the division game, but with Mariota getting injured & Tom Savage potentially quarterbacking the Texans, that game certainly doesn't look feasible for NBC to pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,260,972 times
Come on, 7express, you don't know that. Vikings Packers was flexed, in week 17, last year and I don't think they'll flex Packers Lions because Lions are generally not on Sunday night.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:07 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Come on, 7express, you don't know that. Vikings Packers was flexed, in week 17, last year and I don't think they'll flex Packers Lions because Lions are generally not on Sunday night.
The frequency that the Lions appear on Sunday Night Football is not relevant. If the NFL & networks think the NFC North title game is the best attraction for viewers then it would stand a chance of being flexed.

That stated, however, the Lions will not appear on Sunday Night Football next week because there is no Sunday Night Football next week.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,553,483 times
Packers already received a letter notifying them of the flex possibility and the local media has been making people aware of the fact. Packers did have it on their website, too, strong possibility.

In a Detroit paper, The Lions have been told there is a 95% chance the last game of the season will be the NBC SNF game.

Which is interesting because all the games on Jan. 1st are either noon or 3:30, no late game (unless it is switched).

Old 12-24-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Packers already received a letter notifying them of the flex possibility and the local media has been making people aware of the fact. Packers did have it on their website, too, strong possibility.

In a Detroit paper, The Lions have been told there is a 95% chance the last game of the season will be the NBC SNF game.

Which is interesting because all the games on Jan. 1st are either noon or 3:30, no late game (unless it is switched).
According to NFL flex scheduling procedures it looks like they have until 6 days prior to announce a Sunday Night Football match-up for Week 17. I had assumed one would have already been scheduled. If one hasn't been announced yet they may be waiting for MNF results. If Lions win and secure a playoff spot then Week 17 may have less appeal to a national audience. If they lose and all the marbles fall into place Week 17, I can't see a better game than Detroit v Green Bay.

NFL Flexible Scheduling

Old 12-24-2016, 10:58 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times
It's all what has the most playoff implications and what NBC will think will garner the most viewers.

If the Lions lose on Monday Night, it's a no brainer to pick up Lions/Packers because there will be no bigger game on the schedule. The winner is in the playoffs, and the loser is likely out of the playoffs. If the Chiefs beat Denver, its even more obvious because than the Dolphins are in the playoffs (so no need to flex the Pats/Dolphins game) and neither are the Broncos (so no need to flex Raiders/Broncos) either, and since the Texans won the AFC South that game vs. Tennessee certainly isn't getting flexed, especially with 2 backup QBs. Really, even if Detroit wins to clinch a playoff spot that game is probably STILL the Sunday night game.....mainly because there are no other good alternatives with the only one probably being Dolphins/Patriots.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:07 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,553,483 times
Huge game, Packers got their groove back, Lions never get the conversation they should, for all the marbles, can't wait!

I'll actually be happy for Lions fan if they take the division, long dry spell for them. I won't be happy to listen to my nieces husband who is one of those young, smack talking fans.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 AM

2,495 posts, read 3,638,012 times
All they had to do was beat the Giants to end all these potential situation conversation and they chose to fold arghhhh. Dallas is not as good as everyone says so I'm hoping Stafford goes off on his hometown team. We need this victory bad because the Packers like I've always maintained are dangerous as long as AR is in the line up.

Merry Christmas to all by the way.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
All they had to do was beat the Giants to end all these potential situation conversation and they chose to fold arghhhh. Dallas is not as good as everyone says so I'm hoping Stafford goes off on his hometown team. We need this victory bad because the Packers like I've always maintained are dangerous as long as AR is in the line up.

Merry Christmas to all by the way.
Zenner made the most Lions of plays when he dropped the rock at the goal line against the Giants. My thoughts also go back to Week 2 when the refs clearly had their money on Tennessee and the goose egg Stafford dropped against Chicago Week 4. The division and playoff berth could've already been secured. Good news is Dallas is beatable, as you've stated, and they don't have anything to play for. Win or lose, come home and beat Green Bay. They need to prove they belong.

I wish I was going to be back in town on New Year's Day. I'd love to be at the game.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:55 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
I think Dallas is better than most people think and the Lions got a big gift in that the Cowboys have nothing to play for on Monday. That doesn't mean the Lions couldn't have beat them otherwise, it just made the task much easier... still i suspect they will be in a dog fight for most of the game..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or