U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 AM

7,602 posts, read 9,459,597 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here remember the 1970 Detroit Lions squad, the team that won the first Wild-Card slot ever, and lost to the Cowboys 5-0?

In retrospect, this team really could have won the Super Bowl that year; the best NFC team was probably the Vikings, who were upset by SF in the playoffs, while the Lions had already beaten the 49ers earlier in the season; the ultimate Super Bowl champ was Baltimore, who scared no one and barely won the Blunder Bowl..

Many good players on that team, with Landry/Munson at QB, and Mel Farr and Altie Taylor at RB, with receivers like Larry Walton, and TE like Charlie Sanders; good linemen like C Ed Flanagan, T Rockne Freitas and guards Chuck Walton and Frank Gallagher; solid on defense with an aging but effective Alex Karras at DT and pass-rushing Larry Hand at DE; great LBs like Mike Lucci, Wayne Walker and a very active Paul Naumoff; and a solid secondary with the incomparable Lem Barney along with Dick LeBeau at CB ,and Mike Weger at S..

I have the Lions 1970 Team Highlights DVD; great viewing; probably the best Lion team of the past 50 years..

Their biggest problem: They couldn't beat the Purple Gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,870,243 times
I always wondered if the Lions purposely never gave Barry an OL because they wanted to see him run....

Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I always wondered if the Lions purposely never gave Barry an OL because they wanted to see him run....
Nope.

Gimmick offenses like the run and shoot, using a lone tailback, no tight ends, etc.

It wasn't the O line so much as poor management.

In the end, he quit.

Barry cited the mgmt's failure of devoted to winning.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,986,524 times
YAZ is right. I'm a fan ESPN's Sport Century series, and I remember the one hour bio they done on Barry. I got the impression that Barry was none too happy when Wayne Fontes was let go. He was so close to breaking Payton's rushing record I was shocked when he quit. But maybe I shouldn't have been shocked. To get the impression that William Clay Ford just cares about putting fannies in those seats and doesn't act quickly enough when things need to shaken up within the organization, well I'm not sure. It sure looked that way with Matt Millen. Talk about taking the franchise down. Good grief! Then finally, to me, leaves Barry's working relationship with head coach Bobby Ross. And I don't believe it was very harmonious either. I might be wrong though. I DO know he didn't have a great opinion of G.M. Chuck Schmidt.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
I just read on PFT the havoc that Suh caused to Andy Dalton last night. This guy is going to lead Detroit into the promised land provided Stafford can stay in one piece.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 AM

16,528 posts, read 20,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I just read on PFT the havoc that Suh caused to Andy Dalton last night. This guy is going to lead Detroit into the promised land provided Stafford can stay in one piece.
Alanboy395 is right. The key here is to keep Matt Stafford vertical.

Now their #1 draft choice Fairly has the foot problem but once he gets back in the fray then that Lions front four will be something. Plus you have Kyle VanDenbosch on that line and I'm familiar with his play when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. I believe he went to 3 pro bowls.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 AM
YAZ

Kyle VB is a monster.

Young Nick should be playing the first week against Tampa.....keep your fingers crossed.

Corey Williams & Mr. Suh had a wonderful night Friday vs. the Bengals; Dang.....the Lions are strong up front on the D line.....

Stafford wasn't touched by a Bengal player during his 2 series at the helm.

Both resulting in TD plays.....the last was 4th and 1.....

Watch Calvin Johnson & Nate Burleson this year.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 26 days ago)

5,485 posts, read 3,220,421 times
Maybe the LIONS need that Portsmouth Spartans luck at home they were 19-2-4 at Portsmouth Ohio with Dutch Clark till they moved to Detroit.They beat Green Bay 19-0 in what was known as the "IRON MAN" game with the same eleven players on both sides of the ball!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,888,618 times
Ndamukong Suh of Detroit Lions fined $20K for slamming Andy Dalton of Cincinnati Bengals - ESPN

I wish he was on the Vikings

Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Mr. Suh will not only be on the Vikings, he will be all over the Vikings twice this season......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or