U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times

Advertisements

Outsider's perspective: The Lions need to grow up, check their egos and discipline themselves. They've come unglued in the last six weeks, and some of their antics have been embarrassing. Talent alone won't make them a good team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
They aren't going far and if they want to, they better get a dose of maturity. I loved the shot of an "older" player talking or more or less yelling at the rookie.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
I think the problem for the Lions is that they don't have a core set of proven, championship-caliber veterans who can quiet this group of whippersnappers down. The Lions are coming unhinged, and it's going to get ugly. I think this is an extremely talented group of players, but I don't think this Lions team psychologically has what it takes to stop the bleeding. They have to win next week, or they're in real danger of missing the playoffs.

And if these Lions miss the playoffs, that would be it for the coaching staff. You don't get away with letting this group of Lions start out 5-0 and sit home for winter. If the Lions miss the playoffs, it's Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher time. Both of those coaches still have the fire to coach, and all they're looking for is the ideal opportunity to come back in. This team is loaded with talent, and it's very close to doing something special. I think either one of these coaches would see that and be ready to jump in and take a shot at bringing a Super Bowl to Detroit.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
They aren't going far and if they want to, they better get a dose of maturity. I loved the shot of an "older" player talking or more or less yelling at the rookie.
That was the best thing all game. Good to see someone has sense on the Lions.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And if these Lions miss the playoffs, that would be it for the coaching staff. You don't get away with letting this group of Lions start out 5-0 and sit home for winter.
Jim Schwartz will not be fired. This guy has done more with this team than anyone in over a decade.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Jim Schwartz will not be fired. This guy has done more with this team than anyone in over a decade.
The Lions are two losses away from Coach Gruden or Coach Cowher. Bank on it.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The Lions are two losses away from Coach Gruden or Coach Cowher. Bank on it.
Until you can site a source I will stand firm on "nope". This team owes everything to Schwartz right now. There's no reason to axe Schwartz. Next year without a playoff appearence and either man floats interest around...maybe. I'd take Cowher but Chucky does not thrill me. He lucked out with ageing vets in Oakland and flew high with Dungy's crew in Tampa. If either wants the Lions gig now it is a testament to Schwartz. Either could have had the job 3 years ago, neither spoke up.

Schwartz is here to stay. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Lions fan that agrees with your desire to see Schwartz canned.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM

14,540 posts, read 22,406,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Suh has been double teamed; it's allowed others to make plays.
Yeah, like shoving the ref. That's a pretty Detroit-type play.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,839,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah, like shoving the ref. That's a pretty Detroit-type play.
That was Pettigrew.

He plays offense.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,839,019 times
I doubt that there will be any coaching changes (at any level) with the Lions in the next 2 years.

Unless of course someone gets a head coaching offer somewhere else. Gunther has the most experience; I doubt that he's going anywhere.

Regarding the game vs. the Saints:

Coach Schwartz benched Titus Young after his bonehead penalty, I didn't see Pettigrew on the field after the ref incident, and the only reason Mr. Logan was in the game after his mental lapse was 'cuz the Lions don't really have a decent backup punt/kick return man.

For some stupid reason though, it appears the coaching staff has lost control. I'm expecting the Vikings' game to be ugly.

I'm having fun watching this train wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or