U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Where the ball is? Since when? Players always extend the ball after being tackled and the spot is never where the actual ball landed. And refs always move the ball back. I've never seen the refs count the position of the ball as anything unless it were a touchdown. I thought it was a terrible call.
You are wrong. It is called forward progression and it absolutely is where the ball is.

Obviously you can't extend the ball AFTER being tackled. But you sure as heck can do it before you are tackled and that is what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM

5,541 posts, read 5,727,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are wrong. It is called forward progression and it absolutely is where the ball is.

Obviously you can't extend the ball AFTER being tackled. But you sure as heck can do it before you are tackled and that is what counts.
So in otherwords if a player is tackled as he extends the ball...it's where the ball is? Not his knees, waist etc? That's not forward progression of the ball. I've observed players extending the ball several times while being tackled only to watch it move back a foot or two.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,376,459 times
Quote:
So in otherwords if a player is tackled as he extends the ball...it's where the ball is? Not his knees, waist etc? That's not forward progression of the ball. I've observed players extending the ball several times while being tackled only to watch it move back a foot or two.
I missed the play in question and cannot comment. It's possible the spot was bad, it happens. Many players will extend the ball further in an attempt to "fake out" the refs. It hardly (if ever) works.

Once the ball carriers knee hits the play is over but the position of the ball is where its ruled down.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,517,123 times
Or where it is supposed to be ruled down...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
Quote:
The spot of the ball is never where the player's knee, arm, etc. hit the ground. It is where the ball is when the player's knee, arm, etc. hit the ground.

But you have to couple that with forward progression. If you get knocked backwards the spot of the ball is going to be the farthest point the ball was moved forward, not where the player was tackled.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,862,250 times
Lions' D backfield was under represented due to injuries.

Need to get much deeper than where they are now, and it ain't gonna happen with the draft this spring.

Some free agent signings will give them a chance at the division title.

I like their chances.

0-16 3 years ago...and can now boast about being in the top 12 teams of the league.

It's been fun this year, and gonna be more fun next year.

They'll be here in AZ and I'll be present to cheer 'em on.

The only sucky part is that it's gonna be a $300 day.

I hope it's entertaining.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Lions are the team to watch in the North, Bears have always been the Packers 1st rivalry but it may well be Lions/Packers in the future! A few more pieces added to the Lions and watch out NFL!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,645,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Lions need a defensive makeover
You can say that again. Scrap that entire bunch and start from scratch. Absolutely horrible performance shown by them. I am still fuming from the loss.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,862,250 times
I was reading the Detroit News' commentary about the Lions this year.....while they have improved dramatically.....there's a lot of work to be done yet.

10-6 record and eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

5 of those losses were dealt by playoff teams this year and 4 of 'em were against division winners.

I think anyone's defense can look bad at times and I like to dream about getting some decent defensive backs and an all-pro running back.

Reality check:

Dropped passes and penalties killed the Lions this year. Cut those two maladies in half and Detroit is 14-2. Funny though, they still would've been a wild card team......

Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,376,459 times
Another season is in the books. Thankfully, this is a new Lions era. The Millen era is officially the past. It was an amazing season and I expect '12-'13 to be even better. I'm eagerly awaiting the draft and free agency to see how Schwartz fixes the gaps in the secondary and running game.

Go Lions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or