U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times

Advertisements

No doubt the officiating was very suspect in this game and played a factor. However, Detroit had too many chances to win this game so they have a lot of ownership in this loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 PM

28,488 posts, read 15,441,696 times
Stupid rule on the coach reaction. I'm OK with the 15 yd. unsportsmanlike - but to negate the ability to even look at the play makes no sense to me.

Schwartz admitted he blew it though - so hey, he lost his head and they paid for it.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,124,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Stupid rule on the coach reaction. I'm OK with the 15 yd. unsportsmanlike - but to negate the ability to even look at the play makes no sense to me.

Schwartz admitted he blew it though - so hey, he lost his head and they paid for it.
I think they put that rule in because guys like Mike Tice were throwing like 8 challenge flags in the 4th quarter as a way to get himself cheap timeouts. As far as not reviewing the play- yeah, I don't get that. The objective is supposed to be to get the call right.

That said, although it was pretty bad that no official saw the RB's knee and/or arm touch the ground, since they didn't, they did exactly the right thing. They're supposed to swallow their whistles and let replay correct them. Like you said, Schwartz lost his head (gee, I wonder why some Lions players lack impulse control) and denied his team justice.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,056,636 times
The Pettigrew fumble furiated me the most of all the unfortunate plays/calls yesterday.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 AM

14,555 posts, read 22,415,763 times
My dad had mentioned seeing an elbow down. Didn't look for that one. I was trying to see if it was one of those deals where he rolled onto someone else and his knees never touched. It was close enough to take to instant replay. I hate when instant replay can't be used properly on a technicality.

Great effort that should have been in the win column for the Lions.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
If Schwartz didn't know the rule, fine. Would've still been bad. But to say, yeah I knew it but I'm a hot head with no self control (paraphrasing obv) is pretty damning. No way he keeps his job unless the lions win out and somehow make a playoff run at 9-7. But that's pretty far fetched in this years NFC

Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Especially when Smith, Falcons coach got nailed on the same thing not long ago. I thought it interesting in the Jets game (if you can call it that), Rex waited to throw a flag on a scoring play, which was overturned anyways.

I don't like Rex but he held off, smart choice. Watching Schwartz even before the infamous handshake issue, he seems high strung like he's always waiting to pounce. I think he should be gone, but we're talking Lions here.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,405,522 times
Forsett admitted he was down after seeing the video after the game but said he wasn't sure during the play.
The rule is stupid but it's not the first nor the last -- tuck rule, Calvin Johnson continuation rule, etc. -- and the Lions had plenty of chances to win in OT.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Forsett admitted he was down after seeing the video after the game but said he wasn't sure during the play.
The rule is stupid but it's not the first nor the last -- tuck rule, Calvin Johnson continuation rule, etc. -- and the Lions had plenty of chances to win in OT.
The Lions are not off the hook and rightly share some blame. Players, coaches and fans, however, have the right to fair and accurate officiating from referees and a rulebook that makes sense.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM

518 posts, read 341,266 times
I knew even last year that Schwartz was not the guy who was going to take this extremely talented Lions team to the Super Bowl. He simply does not have control of his team. He's probably a good assistant coach, but not a good head coach. They need to bring in a proven winner, or someone who's going to get the most out of his players. They need to do it ASAP. There's no excuse for wasting the talent they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or