U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,634,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's over. Schwartz is finished.
And he needs to be. He's not the coach that's going to take the Lions to the top.

Question is, who's out there who would actually be better than Schwartz?

Jon Gruden might work - but if you bring in Chucky then you need to ring him up now and fire Schwartz tomorrow. Hard to do when the team's still contending for a playoff spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:15 PM

17,032 posts, read 27,014,459 times
Why are the Lions so up and down? Is Stafford not the answer/

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM

6,595 posts, read 4,559,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
They have terrible discipline. Take WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many stupid penalties. Did you see how many times they jumped offsides?? And on top of the dumb penalties, their a turnover machine to boot. Those 2 things aren't very good if you're trying to win a division.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Stafford made a bad play, but he's made so many other good plays that you can't really blame him for the Lions being 7-7. It's a lack of leadership. The Lions were, what, 7-3 or 7-4 at one point - in complete control of their own destiny? The Lions are just like the Cowboys. That's a team that, for now, is absolutely LOADED with talent -- they just need coaching. The difference is that the Cowboys owner knows what it really takes to win but his ego's so large he won't let it happen. By contrast, the Lions ownership would gladly stay out of its own way - they're just still trying to figure out what the winning formula is. Maybe - just maybe - the Lions are more like the 49ers were in the mid 2000s. The York family eventually figured it out and now they're consistently competitive. Maybe the Lions will get there, but Schwartz isn't the guy. I'm not a Lions fan but I really think that it would be good for football to have the Lions win or at least play in a Super Bowl. I could be a Lions fan for a year. I hope they figure it out.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,627,658 times
Lions would be a force to be reckoned with IF they had structure/discipline for those young players. Stafford has needed a strong QB coach to work with him, McCarthy has said that for a while now. He has an awesome arm but the feet and side arm throws, oh, boy do they get him in trouble.

When you have all those young, high profile players you need strong structure, some tough love, everyone has to be on the same page, whole organization needs some strong rules and regimentation, no exceptions.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:55 AM

17,579 posts, read 40,019,104 times
Stafford better be the answer with how much money he is owed.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Stafford better be the answer with how much money he is owed.
He is the answer, but the notion that a QB can be successful in the league without coaching is a myth. There's no great QB out there that didn't also have great coaching. Just like there's no great coach out there that didn't have great players to prove what he could accomplish with talent. All the parts have to come together. The difference between RGIII and Matt Stafford, and Kaepernick and Wilson is that they're on teams that are put together well. Even the great ones like Manning and Brady have had great coaches. Sure, Manning probably relies less on coaching now, but he's doing better with John Fox than he would with a guy like, say, Dennis Allen.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM

4,869 posts, read 6,420,365 times
Who would be willing to pull the plug on Stafford? His future as a franchise leader is now being called to question at ESPN. At this stage, I am not convinced he's the franchise quarterback Lions fans have been craving but I am not ready to jettison him yet and I hope he's not placed on the fast track out of Detroit if/when (my money is on when) the Schwartz regime comes to an end.

Matthew Stafford must show more - ESPN

Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM

11,749 posts, read 11,627,658 times
I genuinely feel bad for the guy, he hasn't had the coaching/training he could have used as soon as he arrived in Detroit.

One of the reasons Rodgers dropped so far in the draft was the coach he had in Calif. did not have the best rep. Packers worked on his footwork, big time, changed some things about the way he threw the ball. They had time to work with him.

Rookies coming in are thrown into the fire right away, some old habits die hard, some of his throws are not good. Strong arm, no doubt but the footwork, side arm stuff not so hot.

I don't blame Stafford, I blame the structure (or lack thereof in Detroit). Many talented young players that could use some real serious structure, discipline in their lives, major regimentation!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 PM

4,869 posts, read 6,420,365 times
Rodgers also benefited from holding the clipboard for a few seasons. Stafford was thrown to the wolves and lost crucial development time due to injury. At the very least I hope the Lions make some changes to offensive and quarterback coaching and that should happen with or without Schwartz at the helm. Overall his season has not been bad but he's on a horrendous stretch and his mechanics must be part of the problem.

As for the coaching in general...Lovie could be out of play by the time the Lions season ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or