U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,555,061 times

Advertisements

My vote is to Lovie, a no nonsense type guy, would get some much needed structure on this team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,850,555 times
In all of their infinite wisdom, the Lions' brass has canned their OC, QB coach, & receivers' coach. Defensive staff is still there, but it's up to the new head coach to keep them or not.

Way to leave your remaining staff in limbo, wonderful management minds.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,850,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
My vote is to Lovie, a no nonsense type guy, would get some much needed structure on this team.

I dig him too, but the Lions will probably lean towards a more offensive kind of guy. My money's on Whiz.

Poor guy.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
Perhaps "if" means "show me the money". If so, show Dungy the money, Ford.

Tony Dungy says if he returned to coaching, it'd be with Detroit Lions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Now there is a thought, talk about a no nonsense guy, probably his way or the highway!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
No one in the front office should have been saved. There will be no success in Detroit until the Ford Family sells this team to people who actually care.

Ken Whisenhunt to be Tennessee Titans' new head coach - ESPN

Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,462,232 times
Lions turn attention to Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell has emerged as the leading candidate for the Detroit Lions' head-coaching vacancy, according to multiple sources.

One source said the Lions' discussions with Caldwell had turned to negotiations.

Lions will get what they deserve if they hire Caldwell. He was not good at Wake Forest. Despite Dungy's compliments, he was not good at Indy.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:16 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2v-8...ght? - YouTube

Lions fans watch the video to get my feelings on this hire. (Contains explicit, but appropriate, language)

Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
I don't think Caldwell's a bad coach, but I think it's a bad hire, and here's why. If Caldwell still had proven coordinators and assistants, then the Lions could be assured that they'd have some kind of continuity. It would all be just a matter of having Caldwell bringing in his management of personnel and putting together a basic operating philosophy. Instead, Caldwell now has to do something that I don't think he's ever been asked to do before, which is to hire his own assistants and put together his own staff from top to bottom. I think it's a case of both a coach and players being put in positions in which they're much less likely to succeed.

Edit:

Check that: he still apparently has a defensive coaching staff to work with. Okay, but what about offense? Who's he going to hire? And what if he doesn't like or agree with the defensive coaching staff? I also am not a big fan of having a coach act as coordinator. I don't think Caldwell's a bad coach. If you give him Josh McDaniels as an OC and someone like Lovie Smith as DC, that would work out really, really well. One dipsh*t timeout aside, I think Caldwell's basically okay at running a team. But not all situations are favorable. This one isn't.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM

I'm wondering if this team will adjust to someone trying to bring in some structure. He is known for working with QBs, will Stafford accept it? He has said, I don't need a QB coach telling me what to do. Jeff Saturday said Caldwell had a plan every Wed. and expected players to adhere to his plan. In the past, it didn't appear Lions had a strict structure, this could be interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or