U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,373,588 times

Advertisements

My concern with Caldwell is that timeout he called against the Jets in the playoffs and his bizarre rationale after the game. He didn't even accept the fact that he made a mistake and cost his team the game. It's easy to win with Peyton Manning. He can run your offense for you.

Caldwell appears to be inept at strategy and clock management. Perhaps I'm to hard on the guy for botching one game but I would feel a lot better had he acknowledged he screwed up.

Still hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:27 AM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,858,846 times
Please everyone, don't beat me up too bad with this one.

I don't think the Lions are that good. Yes, they have a couple of good players. And these players are probably the best in the league. So, what I'm trying to say is.....the Lions need more good players.

Some of the "almost" good players are already on the team. They have the tools to be great; they're just not there yet. Can you say Stafford?

Look for Coach Caldwell to build on the "D" over the next two years. And that's pretty much what he has. 2-3 years to become a contender.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,265,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

I don't think the Lions are that good. Yes, they have a couple of good players. And these players are probably the best in the league. So, what I'm trying to say is.....the Lions need more good players.

Some of the "almost" good players are already on the team. They have the tools to be great; they're just not there yet. Can you say Stafford?

Look for Coach Caldwell to build on the "D" over the next two years. And that's pretty much what he has. 2-3 years to become a contender.

I think Lions really are that good though. Stafford takes a lot of crap from people, but he's not an elite quarterback. He is still one of the best quaterbacks in the league though. Besides Brady, Manning, Brees.. how many people would you rather have than Stafford? Our receivers are awesome, running game is very good.

If we can get a coach to actually work with Stafford, and get the secondary stronger and have the defense make less stupid penalties we will without a doubt win a lot of games.

Is Caldwell the man? Don't know.. I'm skeptical. Maybe he is. Let's face it Martin Mayhew hasn't done too much to make us not have faith in him. This isn't Matt Million.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:29 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Stafford has a ways to go to be up there with the elite. He needs consistency, too many INTs, being in the top 10 of that list doesn't put you up with the elite. He needs to accept some coaching, making remarks he doesn't need it, is dumb. All QBs need coaching. Yes, Calvin in great, but you have to spread the ball around, you cannot always lock in one guy, dead give away. Seriously, he is not up there with Brady and Manning, not even close.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was hoping so much for Josh McDaniels. I really thought it might happen after we didn't get Whisenhunt. I wasn't 100% sold on him(wisenhunt) but I felt like he could be better than Caldwell.
In my view, the best hires that the Lions could have made would have been:

1. Bill Cowher
2. Lovie Smith
3. John Gruden
4. Norv Turner
5. Tossup between any of the ones who've been hired so (except for Lovie, at #2).

We're seeing the Lions problems. The have a poor decision-making apparatus. It's reactive more than it is forward-thinking.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,849,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
In my view, the best hires that the Lions could have made would have been:
4. Norv Turner
Norv Turner?? Seriously? Why?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,687,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
My concern with Caldwell is that timeout he called against the Jets in the playoffs and his bizarre rationale after the game. He didn't even accept the fact that he made a mistake and cost his team the game. It's easy to win with Peyton Manning. He can run your offense for you.

Caldwell appears to be inept at strategy and clock management. Perhaps I'm to hard on the guy for botching one game but I would feel a lot better had he acknowledged he screwed up.

Still hoping for the best.
I would only add that Caldwell has zero experience with turning around troubled teams. He was handed a turnkey in Indy with one of the top 5 QBs in the HISTORY of the game. Once Manning left, the team was a disaster. The year after Caldwell left, the Colts went to the playoffs.

And have you looked at the guy's record at Wake Forest?? If you can't win in the ACC, you can't win in the NFL.

I'm more upset about this hire than at any point during the Millen years, mainly because Calvin Johnson's prime years are going to be wasted just like Barry's. That's enough to make me stop caring about this team. Awful.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:09 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,687,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

The Lions have more than enough talent to win 10 or 11 games with a decent coach. You can count on one hand the number of teams that have any depth at all. That's how the NFL is designed to work -- the Lions just refuse to take advantage of it.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 AM

603 posts, read 709,278 times
Only time will tell whether Caldwell is the right guy. His resume has me split. All those years coaching Manning and working under Dungy are impressive. His Super Bowl appearance and Playoff experience the year after were impressive (although he just took over Dungy's team). His 2-14 season (which began 0-13) is disheartening. His work with Flacco and winning the Super Bowl in BAL is impressive, but his near-last ranked offense this season is concerning.

The biggest change Caldwell can bring is his knowledge of winning. Just think who in the Lions organization knows what a well-run NFL teams looks like? Who knows what it takes to win? Mr. Ford or his son? Heck no. Lewand, who has been with the team since '93? Heck no. Mayhew, who has been with the team for over 15 years? Not at all. Any of the players? Maybe 4-5 out of 53. Reggie Bush, Burleson, Quin, and Akers know what playing on an elite team is like, but the rest have not the slightest clue. It's clear the Lions organization lacks leadership from the management down to the players. Caldwell has coached Peyton Manning and Flacco, he's been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them. He knows what it takes to reach the highest level in professional football. Unlike Schwartz, he knows how to coach a QB into an elite player, he also has a strong recommendation from Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning. His experience with winning organizations and endorsements make me hopeful.

I hope this pans out but knowing the Lions organization, I'm always hesitant to buy into any hype.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM

23,653 posts, read 33,477,720 times
Personally I think the right guy for the Lions was the guy their rival the Vikings got in Mike Zimmer. Zimmer was a no nonsense guy who turned a Bengals defense with less talent than the Lions D into a top 10 unit. Since Norv Turner was cool with a lateral transfer I'd bring him in as the OC.

Jim Caldwell. All I can say is I don't think he lasts two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or