Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 4,643,455 times

Advertisements

League could change postseason overtime format

Quote:

Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL spokesman says the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.
Greg Aiello said Saturday that under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team with the ball scores a touchdown. If the first team with the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.
Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.
The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.
The competition committee met with the players' union and players Thursday during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers' advisory committee Friday.
The debate about the rule gained steam after the NFC Championship Game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre's Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have had another possession because it didn't allow a touchdown.
Overtime was adopted for regular-season games in 1974, and the sudden-death format allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

I kind of like this idea. I am not quite sure I agree with the team who wins the toss having that much of an advantage to win the game. If they score a TD then it's a different story. But requiring a TD could really make the better team win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM

178 posts, read 360,141 times
just call it the "brett favre is too stupid to know how to protect the ball and the NFL needs him for marketing, media hyping and jersey selling purposes so it will change the rules after his 3rd huge NFC championship game interception" rule.

the NFL has turned into a complete and utter joke.

they're also considering how often teams can practice in pads and helmets at OTA's and when you can hit a player who's trying to catch a ball. It's time to take off the helmets and big pads if they're being used as weapons, esp. the helmets. Rugby, Aussie rules football players seem to do just fine.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,936,907 times
This proposed overtime rule should be during the regular season as well. I like it.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,967,183 times
Screw that. Leave the rules the way they are.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,956,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

I kind of like this idea. I am not quite sure I agree with the team who wins the toss having that much of an advantage to win the game. If they score a TD then it's a different story. But requiring a TD could really make the better team win.
Up until a few years ago, the team that won the toss actually lost more than they won.

However, with the rules catering more and more to offenses, it has gone more to the team that won the toss.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,956,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
just call it the "brett favre is too stupid to know how to protect the ball and the NFL needs him for marketing, media hyping and jersey selling purposes so it will change the rules after his 3rd huge NFC championship game interception" rule.

What does this rule have to do with Brett Favre?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,868,327 times
Good idea. I'm assuming this will be retroactive to last year's playoffs.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,446,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What does this rule have to do with Brett Favre?
People say this because the NFC title game was lost in OT without him touching the ball. However I agree its asonine to think that the NFL would change their format over a 40 year old who maybe will play 1-2 more years tops, if at all.

I've said before I like the coin flip, it gives each team a 50/50 chance, and that is all I can ask for.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM

10,165 posts, read 20,708,050 times
I always felt each team should have at least one opportunity in overtime to play offense. You should be able to win with a field goal, so long as the other team has a chance to play offense at least once.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 PM

8,943 posts, read 17,175,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
There have been rumblings about changing this rule before the Brett Favre fiasco.

Of course, legions of clueless drones will no doubt crow about this being a Brett Favre thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football