U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times

Advertisements

it's "5 rings bro!" ....... even if they weren't actually born the last time the 49ers were a relevant franchise

raiders fans and 49er fans are from the same dysfunctional family - it's like two siblings who stole a bunch of cars, sold drugs and acted thugish ........ made a good amount of money and had some success, but it wasn't sustainable ...... while the raiders took the rap, went to prison and came out even crazier and more criminal the 49ers kind of slipped off into the suburbs, bought a bunch of coke and became paranoid that their past was going to catch up to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Half of the stadium at Tampa (Bucs Steelers) were Steeler fans. Do you think they traveled from Pennsylvania. Looked like bandwagoneers to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
At least the Cowboys have actually made it to the playoffs in recent years. Something Niner fans CAN'T say.....

Yes, Dallas has alot of bandwagon fans (the only thing I hate about the team)and obnoxious homers, but hey, they're not nearly as annoying as Saints fans..... no wait.... "fans".

Look, it's great they won A Super Bowl after years of dismal seasons and what happened with Katrina and all, but enough's enough. 3 years ago, the only Saints fans I knew were actually from Louisiana (or at least Far East Texas), and now all of a sudden, people I know who didn't give a damn about the team are now wearing Black and Gold? What the hell?

And what's even worse is that some of them don't realize they even are bandwagoners. I called this one girl out on it here on campus (a Texan.... and sudden Saints fan) and she actually said, "if I were a bandwagon fan, I'd be cheering for them SORRY ASS Cowboys".

Yeah, I wonder what she'll say if and when the Saints blow it this year....

Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,438,812 times

I've never had a bad experience with Saints fans, and they played here nearly every year in the 90s.

Maybe it's different now, I'll see in 2 weeks.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,125,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Permanent bandwagon" is a contradiction in terms. If people remain fans whether the team wins or loses, they are not bandwagon fans.
It is a contradiction, but I think I get what he means. When the Cowboys are going through down periods, like in the early 2000s, their legions of fans are nowhere to be found. Then, when they get even halfway decent again like they are now (and they are only halfway decent), Cowboys gear populates the landscape like roaches on filth.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM

766 posts, read 2,270,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
It is a contradiction, but I think I get what he means. When the Cowboys are going through down periods, like in the early 2000s, their legions of fans are nowhere to be found. Then, when they get even halfway decent again like they are now (and they are only halfway decent), Cowboys gear populates the landscape like roaches on filth.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. When the 49ers faded away after the 1990s, their non-Bay Area fan contingent faded away, too. In contrast, the Cowboys have a permanent set of fans that have no connection with Dallas or the state of Texas whatsoever that seem to rise up everytime that they are halfway good and then lurk beneath the surface in down times.

Steelers fans are different - they just travel REALLY well and, in the Tampa example, it happens to be a place where a disproportionate number of Pennsylvania retirees live. To be sure, there are bandwagon Steelers fans, but they are at least typically within the regional sphere of where you'd expect such fans (Western and Central Pennsylvania, West Virginia, spillover into Ohio). The random Californian or New Yorker that's a rabid Steelers fan isn't really out there, whereas the Cowboys have these types of people all over the place just because of who they are.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,026,258 times
I have to go with Cowboys here. While some teams may see bursts of support from outside their region while they are winning, the Cowboys have always had the most bandwagon/fair weather fans. They are the NY Yankees of the NFL, complete with their very own George Steinbrenner of an owner.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

977 posts, read 1,631,072 times
Cowboys "fans," easily. End of debate.
I am not sure if there actually are any Cowboys fans, becaue every one I have met only likes them because it's the trendy thing to do. They are exactly the same as Lakers "fans, " Yankees "fans," and USC "fans."

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times
Cowboy fans by far. They go buy a jersey when they get tired of wearing the new Red Sox hat. Also have 80's-90's vintage Miami Hurricane jersey in closet.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Cowboys "fans," easily. End of debate.
I am not sure if there actually are any Cowboys fans, becaue every one I have met only likes them because it's the trendy thing to do. They are exactly the same as Lakers "fans, " Yankees "fans," and USC "fans."
..... Have you even been to Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football