U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,271 times

Advertisements

Poor JJG everyones piling on his cowboys. Its ok, we know are a true fan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,757,629 times
I would have to hop on the Dallas Cowboys as having the most bandwagon fans of any nfl franchise.

America loves its winners, and during the 90s and early 2000s anywhere in the country you could see enormous amounts of Cowboy hats and shirts. The mesmerizing effect of how bout them Cowboys was infectious, albeit most people wearing Cowboy hats would have a tough time naming more than five players on the team----all they know is they love the Cowboys.

The definition of a fan is----a fanatic who lives and dies for his franchise came hell or high water---not simply when it appears they are headed for the big dance and things are going well. When the boys are not making big waves, the number of boys paraphenelia dives en masse all over the country.

Its the same to some extent with all winners----the number of jerseys on all nfl winning teams will increase with winning----but yikes---should the cowboys win the fakers come out of their closets in their boy gear.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Dallas Cowboys hands down... I have personally known MANY annoying, over the top Cowboy fans who are not from Dallas, have NEVER even been there, haven't even been to Texas. Yet, they were the loudest, get in your face, obnoxious fans I've ever known... I even remember one getting in a fist fight at a red light after a loss to the Carolina Panthers in the late 1990s!!! And they can never take a joke or any friendly banter especially after a loss. They can basically dish it out but CAN NOT take it!

Now, true Cowboy fans who are actually from there/live there, such as our friend JJG on here, are a different story and nothing but class. Cheers JJG.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,993,251 times
I think it goes beyond the NFL: I'd say Dallas is the quintessential bandwagon team in North American sports. I once went to a Redskins game at FedEx against the Bucs- and there was some dude in a Cowboys. I'm not saying they don't have a good local fan base, but too many of their fans have no real connection to the team or to Texas. In fact, I use the term "fan" loosely- to me, somebody who just cheers for a team because it's trendy, or because they're winning at the moment, doesn't really understand what it means to be a fan.

I would say that it's not even close, but the Pats have mounted a strong case for second place. They easily tripled in popularity once they started winning, and they've got people slurping Tom Brady as though he were Hercules, Achilles and Leonidas all rolled into one.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Cheers back.....

I still say Saints fans are more annoying, but I am closer to Louisiana....

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM

4,846 posts, read 6,354,667 times
Hats off to Cardinal fans. At least the folks out here admit they are bandwagon fans.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,321 times
Cowboys easily. I'm from DC and you wouldn't believe the sheer number of people wearing Cowboy's junk. If I wore my Skins gear in Dallas, i'd be mugged!

Anyways on the Saints....it's a little early to call them out. Winning breeds interest, and some people "awoke". It's the birth of a new wave of fans, some will go sure but likely some will stay as long as the team does well.

It's silly to expect a mass of people to stick with a looser franchise for DECADES with no sign of improvement and rising ticket prices. I'd put the Cardinals in the same boat.

I have to admit though, more than any other sport (except for maybe the NBA) the NFL has a lot of "non-local" fans. Joe Blow in Spokane will root for Green Bay or Mary Jane in Texas will root for Buffalo (HYPOTHETICAL HERE) mainly cause "so and so" is on the team.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,175,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Half of the stadium at Tampa (Bucs Steelers) were Steeler fans. Do you think they traveled from Pennsylvania. Looked like bandwagoneers to me.
Yea--I would say the majority traveled from the tri-state area!!! Steeler fans are known to travel well!! I said it before, but will explain again--back when all the steel mills shut down, people had no choice but to move out of state to find jobs in order to support their families. This is why you see so many Steeler fans in different states, why there are Steeler bars in every major city, why there are Terrible Towels waving in the air at all those AWAY games!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the usual suspects - raiders, cowboys, chargers, steelers & patriots

if the jets ever actually win anything of note I'm sure they'll join the list

49er fans are pretty close as well
Y'all just LOVE to hate on our SB rings don't you?!?!?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post

Y'all just LOVE to hate on our SB rings don't you?!?!?
No, its the stuff thats comes with those rings. general rule of thumb in any sport, the more success the more fair weather and sub par fans.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
At least the Cowboys have actually made it to the playoffs in recent years. Something Niner fans CAN'T say.....

Yes, Dallas has alot of bandwagon fans (the only thing I hate about the team)and obnoxious homers, but hey, they're not nearly as annoying as Saints fans..... no wait.... "fans".

Look, it's great they won A Super Bowl after years of dismal seasons and what happened with Katrina and all, but enough's enough. 3 years ago, the only Saints fans I knew were actually from Louisiana (or at least Far East Texas), and now all of a sudden, people I know who didn't give a damn about the team are now wearing Black and Gold? What the hell?
And what's even worse is that some of them don't realize they even are bandwagoners. I called this one girl out on it here on campus (a Texan.... and sudden Saints fan) and she actually said, "if I were a bandwagon fan, I'd be cheering for them SORRY ASS Cowboys".

Yeah, I wonder what she'll say if and when the Saints blow it this year....

Not always true...I was always a fan of Archie Manning since his days at Ole Miss....he played for Saints and yeah I know he left but I stayed a Saints fan..problem was until recently wasn't too much to get excited about with the Saints..

Why do people even care if someone is jumping on the band wagon???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football