U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 AM

13,222 posts, read 17,972,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Uhm .... the Pirates are 26th in attendance this year filling about 52% of their capacity ...... this is the highest they've ranked since 2003 when they finished at 26th in the league .... their best finish since 2001 was in 2001 when they finished 17th - which was a complete abberation due to the grand opening of an absolutely gem of a stadium ....... for pretty much the last decade the pirates are bottom 5 in attendance

but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
The Pirates do sell out individual games, so technically she's correct. Regardless, averaging over half-full in spite of the Pirates' incompetence is testament to the resilience of the fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,820,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
This should be fun....

Which NFL team has the most annoying and/or most bandwagon fans? Why?
Patriots, you don't here too much when they're losing, but boy, does the bandwagon circle when they're winning.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,606,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
The Steelers are not a phenomenon. Not even close.
If Steelers are not -then no other team is, either.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,606,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Uhm .... the Pirates are 26th in attendance this year filling about 52% of their capacity ...... this is the highest they've ranked since 2003 when they finished at 26th in the league .... their best finish since 2001 was in 2001 when they finished 17th - which was a complete abberation due to the grand opening of an absolutely gem of a stadium ....... for pretty much the last decade the pirates are bottom 5 in attendance

but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
It's amazing to see the Pirates have a true core fan base and wear their Pirate jerseys and ball caps no matter what.
I guess the point of this thread is id'ing bandwagoners, which these Pirate fans ARE NOT unless , in their minds,they are still on that celebratory bandwagon from 1979!! LOL!!

I am guilty of bandwagoning myself. Even though I was never a Saints fan-I was happy to see New Orleans win the Super Bowl and what that win has done for the city of New Orleans.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,184,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I think it has more to do with winning than locals moving. By that logic the Detroit Lions should have a huge fanbase all over the country. When I lived near Chicago I met a lot of Steeler fans that were not from PA. They were teens back in the 70s when the Steelers dominated the NFL. Just like a lot of people my age are Niners and Cowboys fans.
I don't doubt for a minute that our SB wins in the 70's brought a lot of fans to the already solid fan base, however, I too, was a teenager back in the STEEL CURTAIN days when Chuck Noll was at the helm. I wasn't a band wagon fan back then---hell, I probably could say Touch Down before any other word when I first started talking. My family was and still are die hard Steeler fans--I remember treking across the road to my uncles house on Sunday afternoons because we had a black and white TV and they had a colored TV just so we could watch the Steelers in color.

The reason there were probably a lot of young Steeler fans in Detroit probably was as you said--we were winning and Detroit wasn't. Detroit Lions shouldn't have a huge fan base all over the country because they don't have the titles to back them up and by titles, I'm not only referring to SB ones! It goes to show what kind of fan base Detroit had to begin with.

The Steelers have had a lot of success so now all of sudden those fans who were fans back in the NOT SO GLORY days are being accused of being bandwagon fans!

I'm sure we do have our share of bandwagon fans but the Steeler fan base was HUGE prior to winning these recent 2 SB titles and we always travel well as a fan base! There are buses pulling out of the city during every away game week-end. They are headed to the host city with their Terrible Towels!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,947,204 times
Those towels are goofy.

Miami used to do that many years before the Pittsburghers but they stopped when they realized how silly it looked.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,184,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Those towels are goofy.

Miami used to do that many years before the Pittsburghers but they stopped when they realized how silly it looked.
You may think it's silly but Pittsburgh Steeler fans don't! AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS! I laugh when someone references how "silly" our towels are but yet they LOVE to step on them, burn them, wipe their butts with them. If y'all thought they were silly, you wouldn't waste your time on them yourselves!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,545,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Not in Pittsburgh. The Pirates ,with an 18 straight season losing streak still sells out at PNC Park and the franchise still makes a good profit.
Pittsburgh fans are truly die hard.
The bad thing is it takes away incentive to build a winning team.

You couldn't be more wrong. I lived in the Pittsburgh area and could easily get Pirate and Penguin tickets. Went to plenty of Reds-Pirates games as well as Ranger-Penguin games. Go read the attendance figures from 1997-now. You'll see the average attendance drop dramatically since the Penguins sucked. Now that they are good because of Crosby, their attendance is up. Compare that to the Flyers (whom I hate). They are consistent throughout the years good or bad.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The Pirates do sell out individual games, so technically she's correct. Regardless, averaging over half-full in spite of the Pirates' incompetence is testament to the resilience of the fan base.
Sure they do. When the Reds, Cubs, Cardinals and Phillies come to town.

I feel bad for the Pirates fans (well, the ones that aren't Steeler fans as well ) Pirate ownership has been terrible. Just like Mike Brown for the Bengals is. The fact that these owners make a profit while putting out a terrible product is quite maddening.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I don't doubt for a minute that our SB wins in the 70's brought a lot of fans to the already solid fan base, however, I too, was a teenager back in the STEEL CURTAIN days when Chuck Noll was at the helm. I wasn't a band wagon fan back then---hell, I probably could say Touch Down before any other word when I first started talking. My family was and still are die hard Steeler fans--I remember treking across the road to my uncles house on Sunday afternoons because we had a black and white TV and they had a colored TV just so we could watch the Steelers in color.

The reason there were probably a lot of young Steeler fans in Detroit probably was as you said--we were winning and Detroit wasn't. Detroit Lions shouldn't have a huge fan base all over the country because they don't have the titles to back them up and by titles, I'm not only referring to SB ones! It goes to show what kind of fan base Detroit had to begin with.

The Steelers have had a lot of success so now all of sudden those fans who were fans back in the NOT SO GLORY days are being accused of being bandwagon fans!

I'm sure we do have our share of bandwagon fans but the Steeler fan base was HUGE prior to winning these recent 2 SB titles and we always travel well as a fan base! There are buses pulling out of the city during every away game week-end. They are headed to the host city with their Terrible Towels!

Every Super Bowl team has bandwagon fans. It's the nature of the beast. Everyone knows who a true fan is though. While I think there are plenty of bandwagon fans of the Steelers (you know, the ones from NJ who are also Yankee fans and haven't stepped foot in Pittsburgh), I know that Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia have hardcore Steeler fans who are loyal throughout. It's definitely a football-first area. While I hate the Steelers, I think their local fanbase is one of the fiercest in terms of their loyalty to the team.

(ugh, I just complimented some Steeler fans. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football