Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Player salaries did not cause the NFL to demand more money. You have it inverted. Player salaries are what they are because of the money the NFL brings in.
You are putting words in my mouth. All I said is that with the salaries as high as they are now, the money has to come from somewhere. If the NFL would cut their TV revenue in half, players would have to take a cut. Do you think the NFLPA would allow that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:43 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Similar to Cheers when the actors demanded $1 million an episode and got it. Everyone else was already making the money. I didn't notice an increase in commercials.

We don't watch football to see the commercials., that's take-a-break time. Yet somehow the advertisers are benefiting.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:04 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
All I said is that with the salaries as high as they are now, the money has to come from somewhere. If the NFL would cut their TV revenue in half, players would have to take a cut. Do you think the NFLPA would allow that?
I know what you said.....

The NFL is not going to cut its revenue streams in half. That makes no sense. The money the NFL brings in is driven by what others will pay to the league, and others will pay quite a lot. If the NFL suddenly lost 50% of its revenue with the snap of a finger, the amount of money being brought in would drop. Therefore, the money payed to players would drop. The NFLPA has no control over that. The NFLPA negotiates a percentage of the money the NFL brings in, and if that money being brought in is cut in half, the players would then make less money.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I know what you said.....

The NFL is not going to cut its revenue streams in half. That makes no sense. The money the NFL brings in is driven by what others will pay to the league, and others will pay quite a lot. If the NFL suddenly lost 50% of its revenue with the snap of a finger, the amount of money being brought in would drop. Therefore, the money payed to players would drop. The NFLPA has no control over that. The NFLPA negotiates a percentage of the money the NFL brings in, and if that money being brought in is cut in half, the players would then make less money.
Clearly you are not getting my point. I'm not suggesting that the NFL is going to or should cut anything. The entire point of my original post is to say that TV broadcasting is a large portion of the NFL revenue and its not going away. Given that, the networks will have some significant say in the game.

And you're nuts if you think the NFLPA would have no control over the NFL deciding to "downsize".

Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Another reason its better to watch at home on the big screen.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
And you're nuts if you think the NFLPA would have no control over the NFL deciding to "downsize".
There is a difference between the NFL deciding to cut its revenue and market forces dictating that. In one scenario, yes, the NFLPA has a say. In the other, no, they would not.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
First and foremost, the NFL is a business. ESPN alone pays the NFL $1.1 Billion (with a "B") per year for broadcast rights. Combine that will all other networks and it amounts to about $17 Billion for broadcast rights through the 2011 season. With that said, do you think they are going to add or reduce commercials?

Things change. Back in the "day" when games were shorter, were players making salaries that rival the GDP of a small country? How will those ridiculous salaries get paid if you remove broadcast money? Back in the "day", could you watch your team play when you were out of town?

Unless you expect the NFL to limit their growth and convince players they should be making less money, its the way it is. I don't like it any more than you.
I knew this line of thought would come up, it always does. Money is an excuse for everything in this country. "Business" is a word used to excuse alot nowadays. (and the NFL really isn't a business anyway)

why in the world are the rights to broadcast sporting events in this country so high? NBC pays more than the rest of the world in rights fees to broadcast the Olympics. Many countries have multi-channel , commercial free broadcasting of the Olympics and we get taped, same day delay pre-packaged coverage of an event 2 times zones away. It' s gotten to the point that the Olympics aren't even worth watching for me anymore, they're that bad.

You'd think the IOC at some point would step in and demand some proper coverage of their product, I know UEFA (governing body of european soccer) and FIFA have broadcast standards for coverage of their soccer games; i.e. must be sold to a carrier than is in x-amount of homes in the country, must show a certain percentage of games live, etc.

what's the NFL doing with 17 Billion a year? plus all the other merchandising? those photos of the illegal hits they have/had for sale on their website?

PS: the NFL isn't a business , if you have 32 widget manufacturers all making the same product there's no law that says you can only spend so much on payroll, so much on r/d, the truth is most american workers would be so lucky to be so strongly unionized like pro athletes since the majority aren't now

Old 10-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
(and the NFL really isn't a business anyway)

PS: the NFL isn't a business , if you have 32 widget manufacturers all making the same product there's no law that says you can only spend so much on payroll, so much on r/d, the truth is most american workers would be so lucky to be so strongly unionized like pro athletes since the majority aren't now
PS: the NFL is a business. There aren't 32 widget manufacturers. There are 32 franchises of one widget manufacturer.

NFL, Inc.: The Business Behind the Game

Last edited by LeftCoastee; 10-22-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football