Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM

910 posts, read 2,984,630 times

Advertisements

This is a thread that describes offensive themes for those people that don't know football all too well, but want to learn. I will describe only one simple scheme on this post, but there are so many different schemes to be discussed, that it would take hours to sit down and describe them to where the person with little football knowledge would understand.

I will describe the two Tight End set. Sometimes this can refer to two Tight Ends lined up on one side of the ball, (One on the line of scrimmage, one off the line of scrimmage,) or one Tight End on each side. You usually have one running back and the QB is usually behind center. You have five Offensive Lineman of course, and two wide receivers, which can both be on one side, or one on each side. If both Tight end's are on the line of scrimmage, than both receivers have to be off the line of scrimmage. I put up a picture below. Overall, you are only allowed to have two skill players on the line of scrimmage, and skill players are players such as Tight Ends or Wide Receivers.

These two Tight End set formations are very common with teams that run the ball. You have seen a lot of two Tight End formations in teams that have won football games the first two weeks of the 2010 NFL season. The Colts did this against the Giants week 2 when they expected pass all game long, the Texans did that week 1 against the Colts who's defense wasn't ready for anything. The Jets pulled off some big plays against the Patriots week 2 with the two Tight End set as well.

There are many ways you can line up in a two Tight end set, but they are basically made to set up a good running game followed later by a good passing game with play action fakes. Obviously, you need a running back that is a threat to the opposing team, such as a Chris Johnson, Rashard Mendenhall, Ladanian Tomlinson, Maurice Jones Drew, Arian Foster, Etc.
This is one of the two Tight End Scheme's most popular ways to line up with 2 receivers off the ball I was describing up top. As you can see, the line of scrimmage is on the 25 yard line, the solid line horizontal across the screen between the 30 and 20 yard lines.

This is an example of a Play Action fake pass route. The quarter back fakes the hand off to the back to make the defense hop on the run play, and it opens up receiving routes down the middle of the field which is a good way to get a first down in a tight game. The Quarter Backs first read is the wide receiver on the left, which is running a post route. The second read is the Tight End lined up on the left running the "In" route. The third read is the Wide Receiver on the right running the drag route across the middle, and the Tight End on the right is the last read, just simply running up field to try and get open.

Anybody can post on this thread and is open for plenty of debate, but I would prefer if only people that didn't need me to explain a "Two Tight End Set," to post other schemes on here as well to help out people that want to learn how the game works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
I've always called the 2 TE, 2 WR set "Ace". Everything is balanced and you can manage to keep the defense spread out. We used to have a bigger back so we'd do "check with me" plays. Where we'd call a play (56/57 "G) that could go to either side and the QB would make the call when he got to the line (color first meant right, number first meant left) depending on where the d lined up. We also used verticle passing out of "Ace". Tight ends would get an outside release and run up the seem, and the receivers would run deep too. We were fortunate we had 2 stud tight ends (one's literally the captain playing at UC Davis now, the other starts at LB at Stanford). We'd run a dive fake and just drop the ball over the backers and DB's head to the tight end. Since we ran a lot the safeties would fly up and our tight ends would be good enough to be past them. "32 dive pass apache". We probably scored 3 or 4 touchdowns off the play alone in one season.

We don't have quite the bruising back or badass tight ends anymore so we run a wing-T.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
Great idea for a thread! I know a lot about football but hopefully someone will post some offensive schemes on here that I haven't seen or noticed before.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I've always called the 2 TE, 2 WR set "Ace". Everything is balanced and you can manage to keep the defense spread out. We used to have a bigger back so we'd do "check with me" plays. Where we'd call a play (56/57 "G) that could go to either side and the QB would make the call when he got to the line (color first meant right, number first meant left) depending on where the d lined up. We also used verticle passing out of "Ace". Tight ends would get an outside release and run up the seem, and the receivers would run deep too. We were fortunate we had 2 stud tight ends (one's literally the captain playing at UC Davis now, the other starts at LB at Stanford). We'd run a dive fake and just drop the ball over the backers and DB's head to the tight end. Since we ran a lot the safeties would fly up and our tight ends would be good enough to be past them. "32 dive pass apache". We probably scored 3 or 4 touchdowns off the play alone in one season.

We don't have quite the bruising back or badass tight ends anymore so we run a wing-T.

That's interesting because what we would often call ace has 4 wide outs and one back. The two wideout's on the far sidelines of each side would run streaks and the inside receivers would run either in, out, slant, or post routes.

"Zebra X Y hustle A stripe 4 on 3 ready break!" Gotta love those wack play call names.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Great idea for a thread! I know a lot about football but hopefully someone will post some offensive schemes on here that I haven't seen or noticed before.

And thanks I hope that more people start to look at this thread because some of the fans on this site don't know what they're talking about when it comes to football and why coaches make certain decisions in game situations when they do. I also love talking about football no matter what the topic is about football. I love this game.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
That's interesting because what we would often call ace has 4 wide outs and one back. The two wideout's on the far sidelines of each side would run streaks and the inside receivers would run either in, out, slant, or post routes.

"Zebra X Y hustle A stripe 4 on 3 ready break!" Gotta love those wack play call names.
We call it "spread" when there are 2 guys split out on each side and one back. And we label the play based on the letters it looks like receivers' routes are forming and name it after a state that starts with that letter.

"Spread Utah on 1"

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM

I've never understood why the calls were what they were, I just memorized them. Mine weren't Zebra XY hustle, lol. The teams I've played on we actually did hand signals from the side line, when they would signal a number. The other team I played on had numbers for the routes in the huddle so when the QB called the play he would say the set first, than the receiver routes, and it went more like...

"Trips Left X 22 Y 40 Z 35 on 3 ready break"

And than the on 3 meant that the QB would say, "Ready, Set, Go, Go, Go," And on the third Go is when the ball got snapped. They do that to hopefully make the defense jump for a penalty, "Peyton Mannings favorite."

Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Four Wide Receiver Set

Alright here is another offensive scheme to bring this thread up to date mostly.

The 4 wide receiver set is used mostly to pass the ball. Sometimes, you can have 3 receivers on one side, one on the other, or 2 receivers on both sides. The quarterback can line up in the gun or under center, and there is a running back in the back field.

Quarterbacks like Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo thrive in this formation, mostly by calling audibles and moving the wide outs in motion before the snap. That creates mis-matches against the defenses coverage and creates opportunities for guys to get open down field. Often times, quarterbacks will audible the running back in motion and line up as a wide receiver. To do this effectively, you need a really strong offensive line, or a very mobile quarterback, as there is not much help blocking for pass protection.

This specific drawing can be confusing. The quarterback is lined up right behind the X, and you have 2 lineman beside the X. You have a running back with the arrow behind the quarterback, and the four receivers to the sides. There are 13 dots on this behind the line of scrimage, but obviously there are only 11 guys! lol!

Seriously though, 3 of the dots are either the running back or tight end and those are the spots that they would line up at.

Some coaches like to use running plays out of this set, by having the quarterback take the snap, very, very, very quickly, and pump fake a screen pass to the wide receiver, than hand it off to the running back up the middle. This is like the running games version of the play action pass, by getting the defense to jump outside and open up holes in the middle for run lanes.

But just like every other scheme, there are so many plays you can pull off from this one, that is what you have to love about football, is that anything can happen any minute of the game. Even play calling.

Last edited by Vision-Quest; 10-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: deleted a false image script

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM

YouTube - Aaron Rodgers highlights

Just an example of how one of the NFL's best offenses uses the 4 wide receiver sets to it's highest standard.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football