U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,414,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's not Vick -- it's the bizarre contortions the African American community will go through to defend a guy like that as some sort of hero who's been victimized by race.

Whites be have been doing it for years... What's your point.. Its no different from people defending there children when they know they were in the wrong... This is something that most people do in america... Everyone just needs to let this go .. All these last minute opinions

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Whites be have been doing it for years...
Examples?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM

23,050 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Its no different from people defending there children when they know they were in the wrong... This is something that most people do in america...
I strongly disagree with this statement. This is not something that I, my family, nor the vast majority of my friends ever engaged in with our children. To have done so would have been to do them a terrible disservice.
I find it surprising that anyone thinks that this is a parental 'norm' in this country.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM

13,570 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Black people dont care about Clemons & Favre.....thats the point. Thats the issue people dont understand. Blacks dont care about Clemons, Favre, Jose Conseco, Pete Rose, Ben R-Burger, Mark Maguire....blacks mind their own business on those issues....ask any real american black man what he think of mentioned names and watch him shrung his shoulders & say "who cares"...ask the avaerage white guy about Vick, Bonds, A-Rod, Plaxico or Kobe and sit back & listen to the venom, hate & animosity that comes out. Thats the issue the black sports community has with the critics. If emmitt smith, Chris Carter & Deion Sanders rip Vick then cool but if Bradshaw, Marino & Boomer do it must blacks hate that. Hopefully that clears up where many black men are coming from on the issue.

+1 (I can't rep you more at the moment)

Well said--and needed.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

13,570 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Excuse me?

The type of honest and open racial discussion that happens regularly in Atlanta almost NEVER takes place in most large metro's in the U.S., most especially in your "go-to" mega-city of metro Chicago. Chicago, the Midwest AND Northeast in particular, are absolutely terrifed to even discuss this issue, let alone bring it up on a daily basis.

We live with - and deal with it, every single day. Get a clue before you cast such negative, completley ignorant and misinformed views of something you know nothing of.

Get back to us when you actually integrate your suburbs, elect blacks/hispanics/asians/gays to office AND get comfortable living amongst people that don't look like your parents.

+1 (I caint rep you more at the moment)

Yes, Brother John.

Well said, Brother John.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Examples?
I don't haver to give examples.. its in our world history books

Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. This is not something that I, my family, nor the vast majority of my friends ever engaged in with our children. To have done so would have been to do them a terrible disservice.
I find it surprising that anyone thinks that this is a parental 'norm' in this country.
No its not that's, why I didn't say everyone I said most.. People are sensitive when it comes to there children just like people are sensitive when it comes to race.. This is the first timee in my life that I have seen race brought up so much ...on city data its becoming the norm on here.. Usually its always about what blacks are doing.. Then they wonder why we, always try to stick up for our people...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM

29,352 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Quote:
No its not that's, why I didn't say everyone I said most.. People are sensitive when it comes to there children just like people are sensitive when it comes to race.. This is the first timee in my life that I have seen race brought up so much ...on city data its becoming the norm on here.. Usually its always about what blacks are doing.. Then they wonder why we, always try to stick up for our people...
I daresay Vick wouldn't have been criticized for abusing animals for pleasure if he hadn't been, like, abusing animals for pleasure.

One of the most powerful ways blacks could demonstrate they've arrived in the mainstream is to abandon the claims of victimization and the knee jerk defense of blacks who've clearly done bad things. Criticism goes with the territory of being powerful and living in the public eye. Vick himself obviously understands this -- he's not the one moaning about how unfair it all is.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,477,998 times
At what point do people think they know the standard or assume they are the standard for what's considered "mainstream"? I have never seen anyone ask for the input of Native Americans on what is a social standard. Why is that? "We want our country back". Yea right. As only seen through your eyes.

Tomorrow many people will dine on Turkey. Tom never had a court date. Off with his head.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM

29,352 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
At what point do people think they know the standard or assume they are the standard for what's considered "mainstream"?
In Atlanta you could probably start with the fact that for the last 40 years the mayor, most of the city council, the police chief, the fire chief, the school superintendent and most of the school board, and the head of most agencies have been black. As well as many of the newscasters, the majority of the citizens and students, the heads of many charities, universities and big businesses, school principals, police officers, state, municipal and superior court judges, the sheriff, the city and county clerks, the head of the county commission, the United States congressman, most state senators and representatives. Most of the new schools, libraries and parks have been built in African American neighborhoods, major streets and the airport have been renamed for prominent blacks, the airport has been managed by an African American, the D.A. and the city attorney are black, as are many physicians, professors, columnists and partners in leading legal, accounting and insurance firms. Things like that, I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football